• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Plastic Surgeons Club Meeting

5 May 2016 "Cinco De Mayo" meeting. Our first following a very successful Surgicon 22. We had some fun, made some $$, I bought a 1/72 Fujimi F-4E Phantom II, for 1 dollar. :yipee We did "Business" first, and then on to MODELS!!
Here is the Membership;
IMG_5418.JPG

IMG_5419.JPG

Ross Petra brought his DML 1/35 Panzer III F. nice build, very tidy Tank. Ross explained to me about what the numbers on German tanks stand for. :notworthy
IMG_5420.JPG

IMG_5421.JPG

IMG_5422.JPG

Joe Lotz' 1/35 Russian T-90 You, (I think that's what he said it was) and an ASU-85 :bat I took notes, so as to be a better Reporter, but my notes seem to have vanished. :smack
IMG_5423.JPG

IMG_5424.JPG

IMG_5425.JPG

Nate Stevens is working on a Patrol Wing 10 Consolidated PBY-4, with post December 7th field applied camoflage. :dance :pilot Pictured also is a 1/72 E-100, a ISU-152 scratch built from a wind-up toy, and Ty Stevens 1/72 Hawk Spitfire F.22.
IMG_5426.JPG

Ty let me play with the F.22 a bit. I hadn't seen a build of the venerable Hawk kit in YEARS! Decals came form his Dad's spares. I bleeve the pahlit mus be a Native American, on account of the arruhs onit.
IMG_5427.JPG

Webb Groos seems to be scrutinizing the P-Boat most thoroughly. :eek:ldguy
IMG_5428.JPG

I like it! :ro: I'm not very hard too please, when I'm not judging.
IMG_5429.JPG

1/72 Maus & former wind-up ISU Tank.
IMG_5430.JPG

Ray Powers' 1/35 Soviet T-64 made another appearance! At a glance, the Guards insignia DOES look a bit like Santa! :rotf
IMG_5431.JPG

IMG_5432.JPG

Tin Can Sailor, Mike Seek, womped up the Lindberg 1/125 Fletcher-Class US Navy Destroyer, in what must be record time!
IMG_5433.JPG

IMG_5434.JPG

IMG_5435.JPG

Mike is the one of us that I believe, enjoys his modeling most. If you see something you like, come by Surgicon 23. Mike sells his built, award-winning, models for a fraction of their value.
Ron Huntimer, Garden Railroad modeler, brought some more of his 1/25 pieces for us to admire. 7 months out of the year, Ron's creations reside in the Great Outdoors! :good: :salute
IMG_5436.JPG

IMG_5437.JPG

That's all for now. Thanks for tuning in!

Looks like a fun meet to me. Plenty of diversity in interest as well as the age of members (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

19 May 2016 Meeting Re-Cap:
Election Night! The final closed balloting of Surgeon Of The Year has been submitted, and tallied.
Nominated Surgeons were,
The esteemed and expansive Don Barry
The hardest working chapter contact/contest committee Chairman/Modern Armor Target-builder Joachim Lotz
and Myself. (you know who I am.)

Only 3 Members know who the Newest Surgeon of the Year is! It's classified until the next Club meeting!
Stay tuned for further updates!!

New President: Rodney Shackleford (1/48 Aircraft, mostly they say "Navy" on 'em)
New Vice President: Ron Huntimer (Garden Railroader extraordinaire'!)
Treasurer: George Stevens (WWII Japaneses Merchant/esoteric vessels)
Web Mistress: Aimee Wright. IT Wizard, and interstate fighter-pilot)

Kevin Iuetszler brings tidings of celebration and Honor
The Iowa Air National Guard will celebrate it's 75th anniversary, 11 June 2016. They are seeking donations for gas-money to bring an actual, fire-breathing North American F-100 Super Sabre :drool to the Event (No, we don't get to keep it. :vmad :bat) In any case, The Club voted to donate the requisite $100.00 to the IANG's cause. We will be allowed to visit the proceedings, as supporters, as well. Photo-OP!!! :ro: I have the Pdf, if you want it, I/M me, and I'll forward it! :pilot

On the side of sadness, Mike Seek, longtime Surgeon has announced his move to Council-tucky (Carter Lake, really.) Iowa. He'll be deserting our Merry Band.

On to The Models!
Brand New V.P., Ron Huntimer brings his 1/32 burned House from the 1/24 garden Railroad. The Firemen go well with the house.
IMG_5495_281024x92329.jpg

I feel a strange disturbance in the Force. Don Barry is building a 1/72 Schnellboot model. :idonno
IMG_5496.JPG

IMG_5497.JPG

Jeff Holle looks on,
IMG_5498.JPG

Cockpit view,
IMG_5499.JPG

Armor Master, Ross Petra built an AIRPLANE MODEL! :idonno
IMG_5504.JPG

IMG_5505.JPG

Eduard's 1/48 FW-190A-8 Kuhl!! (still......disturbing.)
IMG_5510.JPG

Gundam Model-maker Barry Rolow built (sob, sniff) a 1/35 Tamiya Sturmgeshutz III
IMG_5514.JPG

Modern Armor bulider, Joe Lotz, built a 1/700 Hobbyboss Soviet Typhoon-class submarine. :hmmm and an Achzarit APC. Aimee brought her N scale watertower Model. I showed her how to find the Gaffney Peachoid
, for fun.
IMG_5506.JPG

Thank Heaven, Nate Stevens made an Italeri Stuka R1/B2, and a Minicraft 1/72 B-24 H Liberator. (no it's not a Mistel conversion :bat ) I have my doubts about the RLM Green on the Stuka.
IMG_5502.JPG

IMG_5503.JPG

Ironically, Mike Seek has brought a 1/72 die-cast F-100 Super Sabre. He & Kevin may have been in cahoots.
IMG_5500.JPG

IMG_5501.JPG

Nate McCoy is up to his usual Craft. 1/35 10th Mountain Figures for his next intricate diorama.
IMG_5509.JPG

Custom Car Model stalwart, Bob Malloy, is working on a custom '51 Chebby. I presented his "Best Automotive" award glass, and he tested it with some yankee Sweet Tea. Mrs. Trent makes the best Sweet Tea I've ever had. This wern't too bad, fer yankee Tea.
IMG_5508.JPG

This is why he puts a headliner in his Cars!
IMG_5515.JPG

Young Ty Stevens tells about building his 1/32 Monogram Panzer IV tank Kilt. He's learning about pastels! (see his fingers?!) Dad Nate, Ross Petra, and Hobbytown Owner, Dave Bos look on.
IMG_5511.JPG

And, Finally, Don Barry is making a diorama using a gift kit Joe & Aimee knew He would find funny, and have a good time with. Yes, Friends, a WIP ISIL 1/35 Rapid-Response Vehicle.
IMG_5512.JPG

The Domedary will have a 12.7mm machine gun mounted on it's hump. (Soon, Brothers. Very Soon!) I've suggested a Sheep as well.
IMG_5513.JPG

This was my final meeting as Club President. I have been, and continue take great pride in my Membership. It has been a pleasure, and a pain in the tuccas, at times. I think EVERYBODY in the Club should get a chance to serve the group as an officer, to appreciate what fun leadership (guidance?!) can be, and to add their Gifts to our Uniqueness. I felt Rod would serve well. I see in him great leadership potential, He is a prolific model builder, readily uses FaceHole, and I refuse to.
I stand relieved, SIR!
IMG_5516.JPG

During my tenure as leader of our Merry Band of Model Miscreants, we have had the worst contest, and the second best contest in our Club history. I've traveled to many area Shows, given raffle prizes to Kids and enjoyed sharing the fun of what I believe our hobby can be. In 49 months, I've missed only a couple of meetings, and had more than my share of fun. I'm positive my duly elected Successor, Rodney Shackleford will also perservere in this Post. (Or he won't :frantic :rotf )
Thanks Surgeons! It was Fun being Pwesident! Huh huh huh huh!
Thanks for looking in!

So glad to see another peaceful transition of power. :salute

Looks like you did a good job Chris, sit back and relax and enjoy the club without the pressure now.

Good to see everyone there again, always enjoy "being" with my old club and lifelong friends. Cheers, Chris on a job well done! :drinks

I mostly enjoyed my term as President, with the exception of the "Obligation" that elected Officers have to attend every meeting. I felt 2 terms of "Hobby" and "Obligation" was plenty for now.

At the end of my sometimes mud/sun/strenuous work day, sometimes it might be nice to just RTB, shower, and put my feet up, without having felt like I shirked my Duty to the Club.

TLAR Models, in it's infancy, deserves additional focus, (Yes 'Pup, S.S. Minnow & Orca in 1/350 are on the schedule) So I have plenty of model making fun to attend to.

I'll continue posting meeting pictures, so Mike can feel like he's still in the loop. We miss you too, Brother!
The Surgicon Chuck Sterns Award will continue. I owe a great debt of inspiration and Honor to Master Sterns. It is my great pleasure to judge and present such an Award.

Thank you all for your good humor and kindnesses! I did not do ONE special thing.

2 June Meeting post.
Mike (beard) Seek's 2nd to the last meeting. We have something special planned for our long-time Club Sci-Fi Geek's final meeting. He's moving to Carter Lake, IA. (poor bastige!)
IMG_5546.JPG

New (orange) President Rodney awards Surgeon of The Year. Mr. Don Barry (Dew hat) was who The Club chose.
IMG_5547.JPG

Aimee's lovely John Deere parting gift was an autographed GPS antenna. FUN!
IMG_5548.JPG

Steve Johnson (IL-2) pays a visit! :coolio
IMG_5549.JPG

Rodney holds forth. His first presidential meeting. We voted to do Club Business first, like we used to, rather than starting with Show N' Tell model fun.
IMG_5550.JPG

Ross Petra, Nate, Ty, Tucker, and Teenie Stevens. All model makers!
IMG_5551.JPG

Ty's VS-2 Coral Sea Hawk 1/72 SBD-3 Dauntless.
IMG_5558.JPG

Teenie's (Heaven help me, I can't recall the littlest Stevens' name) Lindbergh Thunderbolt. With Dad's help, he airbrushed the camo.! :ro:
IMG_5559.JPG

Fun! It won't be long before we need to add that second tier to the SOY trophy! Congrats, Big Don! :notworthy :drinks

Tucker made an Olive Drab Chevy Monster truck. He painted it green, because the white didn't look "American Enough" Bravo young Tucker!! Nate brought his brand new 1/72 Finemolds Japanese 150 ton battle tank. His Jagd-Abrahms conversion is for contrast in 1/72 scale.
IMG_5561.JPG

Ross' ICM 1/35 Steyr Nazi-buggy (DON"T DO ONE!!) and Bill & Zach are back, with Bill's Honda racer! :woohoo:
IMG_5560.JPG

IMG_5557.JPG

Barry Rolow's been dabbling in Armor. Notice the original camo for the Abrahms MBT! :soldier young Kurt Young made this meeting as well.
IMG_5554.JPG

Because I do so love "make A Model, Make a joke" He did this, for ME! Open the rear gate on the M113, and this is what you see! :rotf
IMG_5556.JPG

Jeff Holle's T-34/85 conversion of the honorable Tamiya kit. M/B (?) resin Turret. He seemed happier with it, than he looks like he is!
IMG_5555.JPG

New Visitor, Chris made a very cool Batmobile. We hadn't had a Batmobile in many moons. :notworthy (y) :ro: :dude :yipee
IMG_5552.JPG

IMG_5553.JPG

That's all for now. Thanks for looking in!

Our next meeting is, with Great Sorrow, the Sayonara Meeting, for our eldest Sci-Fi Geek, Mike Seek (rhymes with Geek)
At the Des Moines location of TWIN PEAKS. Stay tuned for Pitty Tictures!!
I don't see an "Aqualung" Emoji. Hmm.....

16 June Meeting. In the aforementioned spot. A suitable spot for such a solemn sail-Away meeting, for Mike & Sue Seek. I hope they HATE their new place, and move back soon!!
About the Meeting Table;
IMG_5679.JPG

IMG_5680.JPG

Server, Brandi, was professional, proficient, an she wernt hard on the eyebobbers neither. :woohoo:
Mike, Brandi, (I wondered what the Sailors say to her. :huh: ) and Sue Seek.
IMG_5682.JPG

Given the Atmosphere, it seemed appropriate that Don Barry's Birthday be celebrated as well!
IMG_5684.JPG

Club President, Rodney Shackleford, embroiled in difficult conversation. Mike (Aqualung) Rasmussen, eyeing "Little Girls"........................
IMG_5681.JPG

I can't make the picture of Don giving Aimee the cherry from his birthday Beer Brownie work. Whaddy gonna do?
That's all for now!!

Back