• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Plastic Surgeons Club Meeting

Ray used Harrier Decals (How hairy were they?) to finish up the Skyhawk kit-bash. See the little shark-mouth, Saul? :notworthy :good:
IMG_5128.JPG

Ross Petra finished a T-34/76 shelf queen. I think He & Don are in cahoots. I'm waiting to see if german army marking appear on it. It's unlike our Roscoe to make Russian armor.
IMG_5129.JPG

Evidently Aimee saw the humor in this build as well!
IMG_5130.JPG

New attendees, Nate & his Son, Ty Stevens surpassed me for "Longest Drive to the Meeting" cudos. They came all the way from Dayton, Ia, (y) and brought models too!! :yipee AMT JU-88-C6, MPC snaptite T-65, and A Fiat G-55 (I think)
IMG_5131.JPG

IMG_5132.JPG

IMG_5136.JPG

Nate runs his own car building shop, and makes his living with an airbrush in his hand. A talented and interesting Man.
IMG_5138.JPG

Counter weight for the 128mm brass barrel on the 1/72 King-tiger-ish looking red primered tank-thingie. :notworthy
IMG_5137.JPG

Jon Bond's almost-finished Desert Rat M-3 Honey. Too Right!!
IMG_5133.JPG

IMG_5134.JPG

Joe Lotz seems to have recovered from 2 maladies. he seem healed of his P-40E airplane modelness, and recovers nicely from recent gall bladder surgery. In a rather macabre turn, in the little container with the blue lid, is one of Joe's very own gall stones. (ICKY!!!)
IMG_5135.JPG

Visitor Ron Schultz likes to rebuild classic kits from junk model collections. Here's cool some stuff you don't see every day. Jolly Roger, With Skipper & "Helmsman".
IMG_5141.JPG

IMG_5144.JPG

IMG_5143.JPG

Pyro 5-speed bicycle kit. :coolio
IMG_5142.JPG

Ronnie ressurected these two as well;
IMG_5145.JPG

1/48 Queen's Coach (drag queen. Ron's words.)
IMG_5146.JPG

At the end of the table, to Ross' left are Nate & Ty Stevens.
IMG_5140.JPG

I should not expect to post much for next couple of meetings. With our April 30 Show date drawing very near, we've chosen to focus on Contest issues.
Thanks for tuning in!!

Fabulous models (y) ... My prefered ones : the Ju88 and the german soldiers dio :eek:ldguy

Thanks for sharing :good:

Luiz

Wow! El Presidente is absent and the gang goes wild with the show and tell. (y) :drinks

I failed my M/A brethren last night. I left my camera home. The meeting was mostly concerned by our up-coming Show, and how to Judge, and all the cool awards, glasses, Chuck Trophy, Junior plaques. This next 30 April 2016 show, is our 1st without our Beloved Greg Metge as top-kick.
Pray for us. I feel like a lost grouse, without my Greg. :frantic :drinks :stinker

21 April meeting. The final meeting before SurgiCon 22. Tonight we practice judging. Explain/demonstrate techinques. Old Guys helping the young guys!

First, some cool model stuff! :yipee
Don Barry painted Mike Seek's 1/72 Officers & crew for his Matchbox HMCS Bluebell. :ro:
IMG_5265.JPG

I posed them!
IMG_5267.JPG

Given his passion for the more esoteric Eastern Block subjects, Jeff (Armor-pedia) Holle brought in his Zil-151 pontoon carrier conversion. :coolio
IMG_5274.JPG

the pontoon is made from a plastic fire exit sign.
IMG_5276.JPG

Prepare to Judge! When Nate Stevens comes from his Shop in his work clothes, I feel better about being as dirty as I usually am.
IMG_5268.JPG

Webb Groos, George Stevens, Nate Stevens (no Relation), Mike Rasmussen, Ross Petra.
IMG_5269.JPG

Smilin' Rod Shackleford, Mike Seek, Bob Malloy, Nate McCoy and Don Barry embroiled in conversation about figure techniques, New Man, Jeff (?) Crow, Ron Schultz, and the ever-cheerful, Barry Rolow.
IMG_5270.JPG

The idea was to bring models to help with fault-finding. We broke up into teams, and unabashedly went model bashing!
These are our victims, er.....Samples!!
IMG_5271.JPG

IMG_5272.JPG

The right car-model Reverend, Ron Schultz hold forth with some of his Wheels Expertise. :eek:ldguy
IMG_5273.JPG

1/72 Armor & Aircraft judging team pores over their subjects. In this mod is a cool 1/72 KV-2 with a 107mm cannon. :soldier
IMG_5275.JPG

That's all for now. Thanks for having a look-see! :good:

What a great meeting! At Orange County IPMS we also go over judging during the meeting before our Orangecon. Good practice.

It's also great to see a good amount of 1/72 scale armor on the tables. I'd love to get a close look at the upgunned KV-2.I might want to try building one myself someday.

Keep these pics coming. Thanks for posting!

To me the penlight and an optivisor at a judging table is just plain wrong. If you can't see a defect at normal viewing distance without critical light or magnification, is it a defect at all? :hmmm

Looks like you guys had fun, hoping you have a great turnout at the show next weekend. A six pack of zen...

:zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen

Thanks for sending the pix. :drinks

For myself, I just like to get a good look at what's in there! I think our own picture postings, and my own eyeballs are my harshest critic. :stinker :facepalm :bang head

Thanks for the Zen 6-pack. I need it.

Nothing wrong with using the light to look, just not as part of the judging. :coolio

Speaking for myself as a judge who has judged at more than 15 contests; I would have to respectfully disagree. I have judged at contests where there were numerous Master modelers who were competing and all of them had entered near-perfect models. In order to find the first, second and third place winners; you actually need something like that to see who built their model better than the others. I have had multiple judging sessions that took as many as 40-50 minutes to find the proper winners because the competition was so stiff; even with only 10-15 entries. Anyone who says not to use these tools most likely has not ever judged a contest, or never had to choose which Master Model placed where in the category. This is a regular thing here in Southern California where we have so many extensively talented Masters.

Anyway, it does look like a great meeting. I'll be looking forward to seeing pics of the contest later on.

Interesting that you would say that.

I guess you're right. Despite completing an average of 30 models a year and occasionally even placing at contests; you are right: I can't build models to the level that you can. I can say that my work has improved more because I have judged; that seems to be something that those who don't judge but can build (yet never enter) seem to be unable to grasp. But you're right, despite my improvement in these areas, I still can't, so I judge.

Wow, this must be "beat up on the Maddog" week. I've been hit twice in two Forums. I think I'll go sit at the bench for awhile till things blow over. See you guys around.... when I can.

You disagreed, I accept that. You went personal by making baseless assumption. Models are supposed to be fun.

I don't enter because I choose to, I enjoy the build more that way. To each his own.

No kicking the dog is intended here , before you make that assumption .

Likewise you should not think that people do not have knowledge about building or judging contest entries unless you have been around them personally .

About contesting : First of all, I try to not longer contest for several reasons.

The first is that I have the killer instinct if I have to compete and my intention towards modeling is actually to have fun .Those two things are at odds with each other.

The second reason is because the lack of experience of the subject matter by the judges is practically nil.
I have seen more than a bad call about a model from a judge that had never been around that particular plane or car . So, who was he to say it was wrong and disqualify the model.

Thirdly I find the AMPS judging system to be the only one to be closest to fair .
It is based on the quality of the actual build and points are deducted for flaws detected .
Quite frankly, it is possible to have more than one build qualify for a gold metal and they also will give you a critique of your work, so you know where improvements are needed .

Every entry is capable to be a winner of something which is positive reinforcement .

I find IPMS judging to be quite the opposite . Incapable to help the builder that did not win , so everyone else is a looser . Negative reinforcement .

Well. that's my quarter's worth.

If you have read my previous post , I did mention that my Dad thought poorly of my wasting my time on such silly things as building model.
Well, that was his error . It is quite artistic to make a peace of plastic look like something totally different than what it is .

Cheers, Christian B)

You disagreed, I accept that. You went personal by making baseless assumption. Models are supposed to be fun.

My apologies for the baseless assumption. I didn't know how else to take it when you said "Those who can't, judge." And I do have fun building models; I would hope that was evident in my workbench in progress posts.

Okay, that's over with. Time to get back to having fun....

Well to be honest, if I were to judge something I would surely need a light to see better. How that is going personal I wouldn't know. :idonno

Back