• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Fokker Eindecker

I now know what you mean by squiggles Bob, That is the " I have beaten the POO outta this chere peice o metal to make it da shape I want" Not the wire brush/abrasive spinnies that would be done afterword.

If I were to do this, I wouls start out with a glass smooth black basecoat, then a nice clean coat of Alclad dark aluminum. Then once that is all set up, I would hand paint all the fine worm pattern over it with liquid mask and then airbrush a bright aluminum Alclad over that "lightly".

Then remove the mask, rub it down lightly and put a nice clear coat over it. That is a very pronounced worm pattern and it really looks like a metal color diffference.

From all I have read the machining is squigles on the Eindecker. Just read a method thats new to me but interesting in Mikitary Modeling where the fellow painted the cowling alclad flat white and then laid down the squigles in alclad flat black. He then misted on Alclad white Aluminum. Doesnt look too bad.
James

AlcladII has a flat black or you think any flat black will work? How did he do that, brush?

Thanks Paul, think I"m going to strip this cowl and give these ideas a try.

Alclad has both a flat black and a gloss black primer. From what I have read if you use the flat, take a micro mesh and polish it to a sheen. Then spray the dark aluminum. I would determine which colors of aluminum to use first to get the desired contrast between the light and dark.

Also the finer the worm pattern is the more it will look like the photo. :geek

I tried doing the pattern with airbrush as I don't like the hard demark but I can't get a consistent pencil thin line with the dual action, wish I still had a single action AB now. Will post results when I git'er done.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I sprayed the test cowl with Tamiya Gloss Black, good wet coat and checked on it this AM. Nice a shiny. Tonight I'm going to brush the squiggles with maybe Nato Black? I'd really like to keep the two colors the same medium so I'll stick with a Tamiya color. I'll let that cure up and then probably spray either AlcladII Airframe Aluminum or Model Masters Chrome, think if the Chrome doesn't work I can strip it without harming the Tamiya. Since Airframe Aluminum needs a glossy base to shine, the opposing shines should do the trick.

No pictures but I did do a test shot. Nato Black on top of the Gloss Black then Airframe Aluminum. Much better effect but...I think I got it backwards. Think about this. Hans working machine shop and boss tells him he's got to take that buffer and mar up the cowl, he's doing this buy hand, what's going to be shiny is where he's going back and forth over the surface, polishing sort of, right? So I'm doing a Nato Black base and doing the squiggles in gloss black. I'll let ya know how this one turns out.

No pictures but I did do a test shot. Nato Black on top of the Gloss Black then Airframe Aluminum. Much better effect but...I think I got it backwards. Think about this. Hans working machine shop and boss tells him he's got to take that buffer and mar up the cowl, he's doing this buy hand, what's going to be shiny is where he's going back and forth over the surface, polishing sort of, right? So I'm doing a Nato Black base and doing the squiggles in gloss black. I'll let ya know how this one turns out.

:popcorn Got my curiosity going !

Cheers, Christian B)

Paul sorry I didn't get a chance to call you this weekend. I'm lucky to carve out bench time between all the honey doos I get to enjoy. :bang head

I did carve out a bit of time.

Squirted some Buff over the fuselage to check the seam up top. Think it's pretty well covered. :woohoo:
ha81f5c0.jpg

Now...picked this up from another forum. Can't find the link here at work will post it later.

Different treatment on the prop, let's see how it goes.

h015cfe9.jpg

Paint prop Tamiya dark yellow and get a supply of Prisma color pencils.

hf6ecfed.jpg

Start scribblin'

h31e2b1b.jpg

Come up with something like this. Might need more color or less in the lighter color woods. I thnk I need to blend the colors a bit and a seal coat of gloss should finish it out nicely.

Now to the cowl and the machined look of the metal.

h550f9cc.jpg

This is Humbrol 27001 metal cote...I think. and I took the Prisma silver pencil with a blunt point and started scribbling.

habf6db2.jpg

Shows up better with flash but if that's the case, it may not be showing up well enough to the eye. Waht y'all think?
I absalutely love what you did Bob :woohoo: :popcorn

Thanks guys but that was two test shots ago. Crazy day at work and I just got in so no time to squirt any paint. Might sneak down there for a quick shot in the AM just to see how it turns out.

Thanks Jeff, I think the base of Nato Black was kinda rough, think the finished product will have a better texture than what you see here. I'll try another brush that may keep it's shape better, or maybe one of those paint pins?

Well it's time to move on boys... :pilot

While I'm not 100% happy with these results, I am happy. Getting a stiffer brush may be the trick for me on this, found as the stroke turned up or down the shape of the brush would change a bit. It should have been consistent.

Well what do y'all think?

Not sure which setting looked best, with or without flash.

hc097536.jpg

h507f098.jpg

hbc55c64.jpg

h0540e43.jpg

ha472b2d.jpg

h7abffc0.jpg

The Engine is done also, well most of it. Down to the part where they want to put the .02mm wire spring on the lifters, you can imagine how that went. If it's that noticeable I'll put it on the ones that are visible when all is said and done.

Hope y'all like it. :beer

I agree with you Bob . Not exactly like the real one but you are definitely headed in the right direction.

A very interesting affect (y) (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Another benefit, Bob, you could do squiggle scheme on Luftwaffe bombers. Looks real good

Definitely got the effect Bob! I think the only way you could improve on it would be to go a little insane and sit down with the photo and try to exactly mimic it. :blink

I'm not sure anyone here is that nuts. :hmmm :laugh:

The effect is quite awesome!! (y) You nailed it! :notworthy

Back