• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Fokker Eindecker

Chris those are handles for the sliding panels, I guess for visibility, there's also two in the floor. :pilot

Kinda like the flap in the floor board of the old stock cars to check tire wear. Maybe they looked out to see if they were off the ground yet.

James those pulsinators are sweet, much better than the offering on this kit. I think the DVII had a better representation of it also, wasn't it clear plastic?

The "squiggely" problem/pattern you guys have been fighting with is a type of finish that was done to bare aluminum. It is the same kind of finish that is done on some watch movements.

I have been trying to find some reference on that finish and how it is done one the real thing to help you solve the problems you have been having. Give me a couple more days and I might have some good ideas for you. :hmmm

The "squiggely" problem/pattern you guys have been fighting with is a type of finish that was done to bare aluminum. It is the same kind of finish that is done on some watch movements.

I have been trying to find some reference on that finish and how it is done one the real thing to help you solve the problems you have been having. Give me a couple more days and I might have some good ideas for you. :hmmm

Check out Engine turned Aluminum. It was a corrosian control method. This might be of interest http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_turning
James

I knew what it was James. It is called something else when done in a watch though. Same process only on a much smaller scale. With some of the newer fine pigment metalizer paints it might be possible to replicate the look.

On a watch plate they do the finish on he raw brass part just before it gets plated. Once plated it looks really nice. It seems that a fine primer finish could be sprayed on, then polished with micro-mesh. Then a small dowell of the right size with some abrasive on the end could be used to make coarse swirly marks in the primer finish. It doesn't take much to give the effect. Then a light coat of aluminum metalizer over that which should show the finish underneath.

Just a thought. :hmmm

Check out Engine turned Aluminum. It was a corrosian control method. This might be of interest http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_turning
James

Thanks James I learned something today . Never knew why that was done, other than the fact that it looks nice :D

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks for smokin' this over guys, getting to the point where I need to work on the outside areas. I'm really wondering if I should go with a really high shine against a really dark metal and then weather/blend it. The effect I had with the Chrome/Flat effect really got lost after weathering. I'm thinking color as opposed to finish is the trick here.

This is AlcladII Steel as a base and Chrome as the machining.

hf277179.jpg

Not happy with this, in fact it's already stripped and I put a coat of Humbrol 27001 Aluminium Metalcote on and will let that cure before trying again. This is the kit part, not the Aviattic cowl.

Also thinking of trying some of the Buffering Model Masters colors and actually applying varying buffer to see how that looks.

I still think this could be done very well in decal. :hmmm

MP,
I would just go with Testors Chrome silver as the base then squiggle pattern with flat Aluminum using a brush.Keep it simple.
That's how I was going to do it anyway on mine (when I get around to building it) :)

Ian.

This is AlcladII Steel as a base and Chrome as the machining.

hf277179.jpg

Not happy with this, in fact it's already stripped and I put a coat of Humbrol 27001 Aluminium Metalcote on and will let that cure before trying again. This is the kit part, not the Aviattic cowl.

Also thinking of trying some of the Buffering Model Masters colors and actually applying varying buffer to see how that looks.

I still think this could be done very well in decal. :hmmm

That one just looks of burn metal Bob. :idonno

I agree, it would be good if someone made decals, it wouls simplify things a lot. :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

MP,
I would just go with Testors Chrome silver as the base then squiggle pattern with flat Aluminum using a brush.Keep it simple.
That's how I was going to do it anyway on mine (when I get around to building it) :)

Ian.

Model Masters Chrome the same thing isn't it Ian? That's what I used on the inside but I only used a flat clear, had the effect till I started weathering.

I think you're right that seems to be the best combination.

You're right Chris, that's what it's already stripped. :dude

Hey Bob, this problem has me intrigued. I see this finish put on watch plates all the time, and thus have been able to figure out how it was done. If you want to wait over the weekend, I am going to try some things to see if it can be replicated in plastic and paint. I believe it might be possible, but will have to do some tests to be sure.

Sounds fun Paul, I'm more focused on the engine also right now, specifically how to mount it with the Taurus engine, I'm probably going to go with Ian's suggestion but still open to testing other ways.

Paul sorry I didn't get a chance to call you this weekend. I'm lucky to carve out bench time between all the honey doos I get to enjoy. :bang head

I did carve out a bit of time.

Squirted some Buff over the fuselage to check the seam up top. Think it's pretty well covered. :woohoo:
ha81f5c0.jpg

Now...picked this up from another forum. Can't find the link here at work will post it later.

Different treatment on the prop, let's see how it goes.

h015cfe9.jpg

Paint prop Tamiya dark yellow and get a supply of Prisma color pencils.

hf6ecfed.jpg

Start scribblin'

h31e2b1b.jpg

Come up with something like this. Might need more color or less in the lighter color woods. I thnk I need to blend the colors a bit and a seal coat of gloss should finish it out nicely.

Now to the cowl and the machined look of the metal.

h550f9cc.jpg

This is Humbrol 27001 metal cote...I think. and I took the Prisma silver pencil with a blunt point and started scribbling.

habf6db2.jpg

Shows up better with flash but if that's the case, it may not be showing up well enough to the eye. Waht y'all think?

Paul sorry I didn't get a chance to call you this weekend. I'm lucky to carve out bench time between all the honey doos I get to enjoy. :bang head

h550f9cc.jpg

This is Humbrol 27001 metal cote...I think. and I took the Prisma silver pencil with a blunt point and started scribbling.

habf6db2.jpg

Shows up better with flash but if that's the case, it may not be showing up well enough to the eye. Waht y'all think?

Not a biggie on the phone bit Bob, and I didn't get around to experimenting on that metal finish either. I did get some work done on my Stug though and am quite pleased with how it looks so far.

But, backto subject at hand, that machined finish isn't so much squiggles as a bunch of quarter circles where the light reflects from the circular finishes in a light/dark pattern. I have taken a couple of photos of a watch plate that shows this off quite nicely. To really get the finish it will have to be a very smooth metalizer type finish. Maybe a dull aluminum with a bright finish of quarter circles. I will have to post a couple photos I have to illustrate this. ( man I wish I had internet at the house, it would be so much easier!)

The prop looks good, I would make the darker part a bit more solid, but otherwise it really gives the right impression for the lamonations. (y) :D

h550f9cc.jpg

habf6db2.jpg

Not a biggie on the phone bit Bob, and I didn't get around to experimenting on that metal finish either. I did get some work done on my Stug though and am quite pleased with how it looks so far.

But, backto subject at hand, that machined finish isn't so much squiggles as a bunch of quarter circles where the light reflects from the circular finishes in a light/dark pattern. I have taken a couple of photos of a watch plate that shows this off quite nicely. To really get the finish it will have to be a very smooth metalizer type finish. Maybe a dull aluminum with a bright finish of quarter circles. I will have to post a couple photos I have to illustrate this. ( man I wish I had internet at the house, it would be so much easier!)

The prop looks good, I would make the darker part a bit more solid, but otherwise it really gives the right impression for the lamonations. (y) :D

This one looks different Paul :hmmm

Eindecker.jpg

Cheers, Christian

Thanks Chris, Paul as you can see, the machining was more random, probably done by hand I guess.

From all I have read the machining is squigles on the Eindecker. Just read a method thats new to me but interesting in Mikitary Modeling where the fellow painted the cowling alclad flat white and then laid down the squigles in alclad flat black. He then misted on Alclad white Aluminum. Doesnt look too bad.
James

Back