• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

C.S.S. H. L. Hunley Sub Verlinden Resin 1/32 scale

C.S.S. Hunley Confederate Mini-Sub 1/32

Thanks for the Link MP ... I'll check it out I see Ed woke up ... :good:

Time to pull this one back off the bottom :woohoo: AS you remember I was drilling the holes in the resin for the snorkel tubes. I have several different photos of artist & drawing of the Hunley, So in some the tube mount is rounded where it attaches to the Snorkel box, on my model the mount is diamond shaped. That being said since the boat has been raised, that part is missing. I'm thinking round plates at the box, and have found several photos that show this. The hull has been washed in dawn and is ready for the flat black primer I will stop at the hardware store and pick up some tube for the prop shroud on the way to work. :captain

h3480dd0.jpg

Thanks Luiz & Ed, Yes this craft was the first, to sink a enemy ship which according to MP was part of the sea trails I just want to get on with this one as, it is a very nice Boat, and the fore-runner of our current submersibles. :captain

Very nice paint Job Kenny, excellent work, My next will be the CCS Texas From Flagship Models :captain

Oh yes, J.R. McClintock, think he was the financier of the project. That book I linked is pretty much the definitive history of the Hunley and I remember this guys name mentioned many times.

Still looking for the answer to the snorkel tube mounting so I can paint this one, round like the picture or Diamond shaped like verlinden Kit I think the round looks better, just saying, refer to the photo above :captain

Another problem I'm seeing the portholes along the top look very good but, I'm not sure they were there.

hb79d77a.jpg

hf3e3773.jpg

This looks close to the Hunley, but the bow isn't concave, notice no portholes on top.

This one looks closer to the Kit version, But again No Portholes !!! :frantic :bang head :frantic

I got your email Gerry.
First, that mock up of the Hunley outside the Charleston Museum has been there since before the Hunley was discovered so I would not use it as a reference at all. The second one is the one build by the Friends of the Hunley group as their traveling roadshow, it's probably more accurate but still dated as they were still digging into the craft.

I just don't know about the airbox or the port holes, although I've had the chance to see the Hunley a couple of times I have not been able to swing it.

You might be amused by this article.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20130604/PC16/130609717/1165/hicks-column-yankees-on-alert-as-hunley-surfaces-in-new-york

Also I need to remove the third image you posted, think they owner is pretty clear about now wanting it reproduced.

I got your email Gerry.
First, that mock up of the Hunley outside the Charleston Museum has been there since before the Hunley was discovered so I would not use it as a reference at all. The second one is the one build by the Friends of the Hunley group as their traveling roadshow, it's probably more accurate but still dated as they were still digging into the craft.

I just don't know about the airbox or the port holes, although I've had the chance to see the Hunley a couple of times I have not been able to swing it.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20130604/PC16/130609717/1165/hicks-column-yankees-on-alert-as-hunley-surfaces-in-new-york

Also I need to remove the third image you posted, think they owner is pretty clear about now wanting it reproduced.

Oh Geez Bob!! ya ever have coffee spew out your nose?! :gogo This got me: "They should have set the terror color chart to Rebel Gray, because they were just hunting for a bunch of good ol’ boys from Summerville hauling a replica of the H.L. Hunley to Connecticut for the weekend."

LoL... Interesting article indeed!! Thanks for sharing :drinks

I got your email Gerry.

Thanks for the Hunley article, Bob I've been reading it, also found new photos and the Portholes are there so no problem on continuing to put Her together. Other parts soaking in Dawn, I was going to spray the hull this morning but got side tracked. Sorry about the picture I didn't see anything on it, as to copyright, My monitor at home isn't clear because of a driver prolem, I'll trying to watch it from now on. Man I just keep getting in trouble around here. :smack :tomato :facepalm

Very interesting! back before I had a wife, a mortgage, and a kid that is currently in college, I had enough spendable money to SCUBA dive, and let me tell you, Charleston Harbor is one silty, current-ridden place to put in the water! Finding that I bet was like diving in ink! Those guys must have been a combination of brave and nuts, you are within blast range of the mine, especially when you consider it would be underwater, causing a pressure wave.

Well iambrb, I would imagine, that this would have been a very Gray area, as this was a 1st, so probably didn't consider such things as shock waves, No, We're gonna go blow up something, and to this glory for the Southland they went, I can't get anymore political than that, but these Men were fighting for God & Country so that's the task they preformed. :soldier

Very nice paint Job Kenny, excellent work, My next will be the CCS Texas From Flagship Models :captain
That's not paint. It's a wood veneer I made.

Very nice job Kenny I didn't get a chance to read the Blog, I was just looking at the pictures. Very Impressive My Friend, right now I'm spending My SS check as fast as I can. :pilot

Al righty then, I took a break last night been modeling around the clock lately seems like, made some progress on the Hunley, here's the proof. :captain

h7545c86.JPG

I had some imperfections in the portholes :skipper

h282f42a.JPG

Primered these parts :skipper

hfa9ca02.JPG

h446fcd8.JPG

h1903400.JPG

And I also did this one while I was at it. :skipper

h88cff56.JPG

habb7325.JPG

I drilled the prop shroud & hull added a piece of brass tube to hold the whole thing on :skipper

hbc0598e.JPG

hfa33f2b.JPG

I cut the panel lines a little deeper ... they weren't showing enough for me :skipper

hf7a1c3d.JPG

he91242b.JPG

I'm still working on this area, great detail here, I think the snorkel tubes would be round instead of diamond, but it is hard to figure, I just love modeling a Ghost. :captain

Takes all for now C&C welcome - Cheer's Gerry

Back