• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

C.S.S. H. L. Hunley Sub Verlinden Resin 1/32 scale

C.S.S. Hunley Confederate Mini-Sub 1/32

Pretty good sea trails then ... so what happened the snorkel's go under water after the concussion of the blast?? you would think they had some plugs for those ... but this was in the beginnings of the submersibles' ... kind of a grey area ... :captain

They don't know what happened. They found that some of the view ports were busted so maybe they were taking on water, but they don't know when those ports were busted. Dr. Lee Spence (The person who discovered the Hunley, not that lying trash Clive Cussler) made the vague suggestion that one of the crew was actually a Northern spy, he's been able pull a pretty complete bio on most of the crew but this one guy had Federal ID, could have been a battle field souvenir or not...again, we just don't know.

Dr. Lee Spence also noted that when the Hunley sunk the crew could have survived if they had just opened the hatches and escaped. Once the hull was full of water the pressure would have equalized and the hatches could be opened. The depth of the water was not that great and they could have swam away. Today that's standard safety procedure in these small submersibles.

Okay Swordsman it's your fault :smack
Someone else had a Hunley or was asking early in the year and reminded me of my interest in this boat. So I looked on ebay and found some good prices and almost bought one. BUT I saw a kit from Cottage Industries that had the full interior and could be made cutaway. It was around $300 or $400 bucks US though so I declined and the felling went away. Now you have one to build and darned if I didnt succumb and check ebay. And guess what, there was that kit again. This time I think the seller made a mistake and priced it for the 1/72 version. So now I have a 1/32 Hunly making its way to me for $88 US including shipping :yipee

hunley.JPG

Sorry to hijack the thread and thanks for posting it up. Now I'm getting one of my wishes and inexpensively too :D

Nice find James. Cottage Industries made the first kit, I got it but it was way over my head at the time. When you research don't get discourage to find there might be some shape issues with the bow, truth is, they are still discovering what the original looked like and it's hard for these guys to keep up.

The final version had the spar on the bottom of the bow, not the top. PTG Beauregard issued an order not allowing it to submerge fully after the second crew drowned in Charleston Harbor. So the spar was lowered so the torpedo would strike below the waterline of it's target.

James, nice find!! :woohoo: B)
Lots of info there MP! I ddn't know there may have been a damn yankee spy aboard at the time of her demise :eek:hmy: Do know that there's alot of speculation on how she & her crew were lost. Don't think we'llever truly know the reason(s)

Nice Jerry, glad to see you doing this one!

Just make sure you wash the resin parts really well with some mild dish soap. They usually have some releasing agents on them!
After that they should paint up well, add a bit of primer to it before the paint!

:popcorn

Thanks Warren ... Pricy kit but I must inmerce myself in the resin kits so ... I'm buying some dust masks on the way home ... :drinks :ro: :dude

Ok I pulled the hunley out tonight ... And started on the Waterline one I have all the parts cleaned and ready for assembly ....

Ok I pulled the hunley out tonight ... And started on the Waterline one I have all the parts cleaned and ready for assembly ....

:popcorn but :nopics :eek:ldguy :hmmm

Well since I posted that from my Smart phone and the Pictures are on the Not smart camera ... the field commander said turn the Desktop off ... I guess that's where the pictures are ... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

:popcorn but :nopics :eek:ldguy :hmmm
Getting scary here because I agree with the hippy WHERE IS THE PICTURES!!! :D

Spooky Huh where are the pictures maybe the Hunley is in stealth mode, no same trouble as before ... pictures in the Am ... now go to sleep like good Children .... :drinks

Ok Here We For my little Padawan's ... and the rest of you fine Folks here on MA ...

h511fce0.JPG

The H.L. Hunley ... I'm going to do some research on this ... MP says "She wasn't Commissioned in the Confederate Navy ... She was under going Sea Trials ... which included the sinking of a enemy ship ... (I would change the name of the build but this is the name of the kit) ... Un-leashed from it's bubbly confinement ... start of my Torpedo Campaign entry ...

ha780970.JPG

Look the is a Hatch & prop guard ... ready ... the hull has also been filed at the water line to remove excess pour of resin ... :skipper

hf728f5f.JPG

All the above and the snorkel tubes ... attachment may be a problem ...

hd2bf74c.JPG

Close-up of hatch cover .... I will have to make some lower hinges ... doesn't look like they are in the kit ...

h1b08be4.JPG

I think this is all the bits cleaned Up and ready for assemble ....

h4bf8b56.JPG

The 1st thing I did is to drill a hole for the snorkel tube to go in I may use mangnets here the destruction's are so tiny ... I must use opti-visors to read them ...So this is where I left Her last night ... :skipper

Thanks MP I'm going to do this right ... just found a reference site that has hand written letters from Mr. Hunley ... Hang in there ... I still have to clean the port holes ... Do a bit more research as ... My Camp has requested I do a program on Her some night ... any help you can give Me will be appreciated ... :skipper

Iron,rivets and rust

I like it (y)

Thanks Piet ... I'm looking at web sites to see what may be a pour block ... already have found the Snorkle area has a problem ... that must be fixed ... Hang on I hope to make this a Quick ride ... :skipper

You got a link to that site?
Might want to check out this book.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Hunley-Submarines-Sacrifice-Paperback/dp/B011DBSWY0

The edge locked up on me & collapsed upon it self I looked ... but all I found was that guy you don't like on Friends of the Hunley ... But not to worry It should be in my History tab on the desktop ... I'll see if I can find it here at the shop ... :skipper

Here's the link MP ... Very interesting Letter .... :hmmm :woohoo: :ro: :dude

http://www.history.navy.mil/research/library/manuscripts/h/h-l-hunley.html

Oh yes, J.R. McClintock, think he was the financier of the project. That book I linked is pretty much the definitive history of the Hunley and I remember this guys name mentioned many times.

Back