• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

BV 138 Flying Clog

This Clog is moving very slow or should I stay I get tired of working on it often and walk off often. :S

It is hard to scribe as it need to be restrained top to bottom as well as front to back.

If you have fingers left, hang on to the straight edge :bang head

BV_138_Hull___Fuselage_003_a.jpg

Still a work in progress as you can see.

BV_138_Hull___Fuselage_002_a.jpg

The side pieces of the hull have been glued down and sanded flush . I can only guess that the manufacturer couldn't figure out how to cast a tri hull :bang head

BV_138_Hull___Fuselage_001_a.jpg

Please note how much stock had to be added to the fairing to get it to fair with the lower wing . Hard to believe the other side fits :smack

That's all for today. Hope to bring the scribing to an end this weekend and then we can turn our attention to the interior . Thanks for looking. Cheers Christian B)

Keep it up Christian, you're doing fine!

I have this kit as well and started to scribe one side of the fuselage and quickly waked away from it, so I know what you are going through.

Not sure why they came up with that arrangement for the hull (the side pieces to glue on). Like you said, they must not have been able to mold a tri-hull. Makes for a pain filling the seems.

Tedious, yes? Looks like you are really making a difference, gonna look swell! (y) :drinks

B) great work Christian.
I nearly bought one of these about 4 years ago to go with my uboat. Alas it never came about so this is great to watch your fine adjusting on the oldkit.
:popcorn

Brokeneagle

This Clog is moving very slow or should I stay I get tired of working on it often and walk off often. :S

The side pieces of the hull have been glued down and sanded flush . I can only guess that the manufacturer couldn't figure out how to cast a tri hull :bang head

Thanks for looking. Cheers Christian B)

The compound curves on the underside would have freaked out the die maker if he was a little inexperienced - these were the days before CAD design and c in c cutting - all digital now with slide molding to boot.

Brokeneagle

Keep it up Christian, you're doing fine!

I have this kit as well and started to scribe one side of the fuselage and quickly waked away from it, so I know what you are going through.

Not sure why they came up with that arrangement for the hull (the side pieces to glue on). Like you said, they must not have been able to mold a tri-hull. Makes for a pain filling the seems.

Thanks Warren, it has definitely been tedious. And here I was thinking I was being wimpy .

Difficult thing to pin down. Sort of like a wrestling match with an Octopus and getting a bowl of Jello to stand still while working on it. :tomato

Thanks for the encouragement, Cheers, Christian B)

Tedious, yes? Looks like you are really making a difference, gonna look swell! (y) :drinks

Well MikeI hope to make a difference. This airplane has always intrigued me......and so far the kit is too but I think it has the potential for a great finish :D

By the way, still no luck at wrestling that piece out of the mold yet :vmad

Cheers, Christian B)

B) great work Christian.
I nearly bought one of these about 4 years ago to go with my uboat. Alas it never came about so this is great to watch your fine adjusting on the oldkit.
:popcorn

Brokeneagle

I wish you would have as it would make for an even more exciting diorama . MPM has also made one in 1/48 but I have never seen it.

The compound curves on the underside would have freaked out the die maker if he was a little inexperienced - these were the days before CAD design and c in c cutting - all digital now with slide molding to boot.

Brokeneagle

I think you just have hit on something here that I had not considered but that could explain the many quirks of this kit like panel line that are offset ext :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

So much work. Your a true craftsman Chris. I dont know if I could ever muster the patience to do what you do with these kits. Really enjoying watching though (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) :D
JAmes

Thanks James and Dave for the kind words :D I look at it this way. No one has dared to produce a better one in this scale, so as much as I like this bird I'm gonna have to take my best shot at it that I'm able to muster.

Thank you James. you give me too much credit . I do have a good bit of patience .
Not sure if I got it from making all those lengthy repairs on those Phantoms or if I was able to do it because I had the patience.

In the end, most guys were overjoyed when we got the electric jets ( no maintenance ) but I missed the challenge of keeping the Phantoms going :(

Cheers, Christian B)

I have made a bit of progress with the clog , having the outside scribing and the engine scoops completed.

I have started working on the cockpit which of course is pathetic .

clog_incockpit_004_a.jpg

clog_incockpit_002_a.jpg

Sort of hard to tell in the shots but there are a lot of large gaps and the IP sticks out past the airframe.

The canopy sort of fits but I have a vac one somewhere so you'll most likely see it before it's over

clog_incockpit_001_a.jpg

I have decided to make a new interior from sprue :fencing

clog_incockpit_005_a.jpg

and now the IP nearly fits correctly .

clog_cockpit_006_a.jpg

More to come as I make more parts .... :soldier

Thanks for looking , Cheers Christian B)

WOOO!!!
nice work so far Chris, I should have got you down here to guide me on the B10 cockpit, it's beyond bare.

WOOO!!!
nice work so far Chris, I should have got you down here to guide me on the B10 cockpit, it's beyond bare.

Thanks Bob . The hardest part is finding references but I have to admit that making bulkheads gives me a fit too.

I have found some more references ( in my stash ) this week .

Cheers, Christian B)

WOOO!!!

Thanks Bob . The hardest part is finding references but I have to admit that making bulkheads gives me a fit too.

I have found some more references ( in my stash ) this week .

Cheers, Christian B)

Yeah I don't know how in the world you'd get the contour right. I know we have those gauges but I don't see those working well in our scales.

Great job Chris. :popcorn

Back