• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

BV 138 Flying Clog

Just reading the Wiki on this. It was powered by Diesel engines? I've always wondered why Diesels are not used in aircraft powerplants.

Actually, there was some use of the diesels Bob. The JU 86D used them for a while.

I don't recall the reason but they fell out of favor . Maybe it was their large size .

JU_86D.jpg

A large part of the JU 86 series were exported.

Cheers, Christian B)

Diesel engines of the day weighed more than a gasoline engine and diesel fuel weighed more than gasoline. It took several hours of flying time for the better fuel consumption rate of a diesel to overcome the higher weight. In combat, the early diesels were found to be too unresponsive to throttle movements and had a high failure rate when run at maximum power for extended periods. They did find more use in long range/endurance flights such as civil airliners, maritime patrol and reconnaissance.

Cheers,
Rich

Just reading the Wiki on this. It was powered by Diesel engines? I've always wondered why Diesels are not used in aircraft powerplants.

Actually, there was some use of the diesels Bob. The JU 86D used them for a while.

I don't recall the reason but they fell out of favor . Maybe it was their large size .

JU_86D.jpg

A large part of the JU 86 series were exported.

Cheers, Christian B)

Diesel engines of the day weighed more than a gasoline engine and diesel fuel weighed more than gasoline. It took several hours of flying time for the better fuel consumption rate of a diesel to overcome the higher weight. In combat, the early diesels were found to be too unresponsive to throttle movements and had a high failure rate when run at maximum power for extended periods. They did find more use in long range/endurance flights such as civil airliners, maritime patrol and reconnaissance.

Cheers,
Rich

And there you have Bob . I was too busy scribing to look it up myself . Thanks Rich.

Cheers, Christian B)

Today seemed like a good day to work on this beast , so I decided to assemble the booms .

Yiiikes it wasn't long before I had a problem :S (sorry it's so hard to see anymore )

BV_138_booms_001_a.jpg

The right side of this boom seemed to have a short shot on the leading edge. Not something I ever experienced , so this experiment 101 .

BV_138_booms_002_a.jpg

I punched out a .020 piece of sprue and then punched another hole in it . Super glued to the boom.

BV_138_booms_2_001a.jpg

Sanded the outside smooth

BV_138_booms_003_a.jpg

Machined the center until the propeller spinner could be inserted .

BV_138_booms_003_a.jpg

BV_138_booms_004_a.jpg

A grille and splitter were installed sometime during the chaos and this is what we have now . Repeat on other side :soldier

BV_138_booms_007_a.jpg

And now I have to figure out how to make that huge step disappear . :sick:

Thanks for looking. Cheers, Christian B)

Nice save with the styrene extension! Now as to making the step disappear? Abracapocus? Pocuscadabra? I knew I should have written those magic words down. :laugh: I have faith you'll get it pounded into submission. (y)

Thank you Luiz , Dave and Mike for the kink Words .

Mike , I just rechecked it and it is not improved . Better get your money back on those magic words :rotf .

Gaps would have been much easier to work with :S

Cheers, Christian B)

Have you joined the wing to the boom yet? Looks like you could lower the hight of the wing root flashing. Know what I mean?

hec28a25.jpg

like take that red area out.

Thanks for looking in James

Have you joined the wing to the boom yet? Looks like you could lower the hight of the wing root flashing. Know what I mean?

hec28a25.jpg

like take that red area out.

No Bob, they are not glued together yet . I have to admit, I think they will fit a bit more snug as I figure out where the contact points are and sand them down .
It does not look like enough though and bot top and bottom and top are complete surfaces all the way across.
Going to remove plastic carefully to keep from getting it off square. :fencing

Cheers, Christian B)

After a while it got to look like plastic Armageddon :blink

BV_138_boom_fit_001_a.jpg

But it now fits . I wont be able to glue it yetuntil I make sure all is in square :hmmm

BV_138_boom_fit_002_a.jpg

The second wing to boom has also been fitted but now I find that the left wing it too big for the wing root.

:sick: Will have to figure something for that one tomorrow.

Thanks for looking . Cheers, Christian B)

You're having a red hot go Christian, good to see you working this one into shape, I'm sure you will make this one a winner. (y)

You're having a red hot go Christian, good to see you working this one into shape, I'm sure you will make this one a winner. (y)

Thanks Phil . Mostly buying time till my piece comes in for the Saetta but I do aim to make this worth my time. Been wanting to build one for years.

Must be time for someone to release a good one ( soon as I'm done ) :gogo

Cheers, Christian B)

Well Bob, I didn't think you would want the boring details :woohoo: but since you asked.

Here's what I was up against.

BV_removing_stock_002_a.jpg

As you can see there's no stock to work with on the wing ( where it would have been easy ).
So, it all had to come off the bottom of the boom.

BV_removing_stock_003_a.jpg

All these items were used . If I'd had a jack hammer I probably would have used it as well. :fencing

The power tools were used to remove stock from;the center while files and sandpaper were used on the edges and ends .
At least one boom has become paper thin in places.

BV_removing_stock_001_a.jpg

This is my next predicament.....One of the wings is thicker that the fairings. Added some Milliput and hoping it looks descent after some sanding :D

Thanks for looking . Cheers, Christian B)

Back