• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Baltimore Clipper Build, this will take awhile..

Alright, after finaly fixin' the ol' gunport issue...we'll just refer to the whole mess as "the issue", I'm marching on now. in the bow area the Riding Bitts are made. It was used to aid in setting the achore's. Also the Cathead's have been made. They are the two timbers that are extending out past the hull on each side. A double block pulley will hang under them. They held the anchor in place when stowed. A trip pin and chain attached to the Cathead was released to let the anchors drop free. Last I've made the bowsprit. It actually is two seperate pieces. The larger bowsprit which takes most of the stress and the smaller Jib boom that extends farther. It proved tricky to get the spacing right between the two and keep everything straight. They are tenoned to each other and to the deck. In the pics you can see the small square tenon that will be set into a bowsprit bit attached to the deck. The one smaller dowel pointing down is called a Martingale or "Dolphine Striker" There is no glue used on the bowsprit. It's held in place by pressure from the rigging. Adding one more pic of the hull view showing the Channels installed. These are for attaching the mast shrouds to. In the same pic you can also see a series of small holes under the channels along the hull. They are called scuppers and were deck water drains. I still have to drill them fro the inside of the Bulwarks. I'm drilling them from both sides to make sure the holes land in the right place on the deck.

Tim

catheads1.jpg

100_0011.jpg

bowsprit2.jpg

Fabulous Tim ! (y) You have been busy. You know, none of those words exist in Air Force lingo. I'm so glad you know what you're doing.
Even if it's all made up I'll never know the difference :rotf

Keep up the good work my friend. Very interesting. :popcorn

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Christian :v I'm glad you think I know what I'm doing :D It would prolly make more sense if I knew proper grammer and could spell right.

Tim

looking back at this..Wow Tim! just fantastic work on this and knowledge of the old sailing vessels. You have any sailing experience or just from doing your research on building this?

Thanks guys :v
Moon, I have absolutely no experience with these old vessels, one reason it's taking so long. Pretty much all I'm learning is through the build. So far knowing what a Halyard line is doesn't seem to impress the the wife much but it could win me the daily double question on Jeapordy one day :laugh:

Tim

I understand Tim....Hey, here's a thought. Buy her this Japanese book on transport aircraft ( no offense intended ) and she will suddenly realize how exciting sail ships are. :rotf

Thanks mlp and James :v Next is the hand rails. These seem simple to do but I bet like everything else so far sumthin' will creep up.

Tim

Thanks Randy :v

I have been looking at some amazing model shipright work, the link is to on of the best I've saw so far. It's a model of the Fleuron from 1729. There are about ten videos of the ship in various stages of construction. The scale is a much bigger and better 1/24th.
although the link video clip of it on display is beautiful, the work shown in other clips of the framing is jawdropping.

http://youtu.be/Dd_OObldd_Q

Tim

This just one step beyond, A friend gave me a book 'Building historic ship models' years ago when i expressed interest in trying one- the rigging section alone just blew me away. This is incredible work Hood, keep it coming!

Back