• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Baltimore Clipper Build, this will take awhile..

Thanks for the fix James (y) and the compliment's guys!! Bob, I don't have any words either...used em all up today :laugh: here's the other shot I meant to add. I may display the anchor's hanging so I can show how all this worked with the cables, riding bitts, nipper's and such ( I just love nuatical terms :lol: )
Plus it will make the deck look "busy"

Tim

000_2167.JPG

we can tell what was on their mind back then, all that time out at sea... Tim thank you for sharing this build with us.

How are you going to seal the wood?

Thanks Bob, I just wish I could get more done daily to keep the build thread moving with new updates, Christian's smiley is going to run out of popcorn and soda/beer eventually :lol:

Good question as to what I'll use for sealer/clearcoat. 99.9% of the ship is being built with basswood which doesn't take color stain very pretty. I have a feeling I'm going to be experimenting with color for the parts left natural. The entire ship will have to be primed, sealed and sanded for paint. I know I wont be using varnish or poly. I am leaning towards a flat Lacquer right now.

You know :hmmm :hmmm :hmmm I was wondering why the cost of basswood was skyrocketing at the LSH :D :D

You are blowing me away with this one Tim, simply amazing (y) (y) (y) (y)

Randy

Lol, thanks Randy yeah... the local Hobby Lobby is well stocked too.
I keep messing with the deck hardware really to put off the copper plating :lol: I decided to build the bilge pumps from brass. posted a couple of WIP pics of it. These were important as all the ships leaked. This one will be a double pumper. It will have wood handles on each end of the arm. The handles folded up out of the way when not in use. There were plungers attached to the end of the rods and they would syphon the water up through tubes and out onto the deck.

Tim

000_2170.JPG

bilge_pump_2.jpg

Thanks Guys, I spent to much time on this part for what it is. The pump will be painted black except for the handles. Here it is finished. the last two pics are of the handle arms in the folded stowed position. This is how it will be displayed.

Tim

bilge_pump_5.jpg

bilge_pump_6.jpg

bilge_pump_4.jpg

bilge_pump_7.jpg

Back