• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Baltimore Clipper Build, this will take awhile..

Just gorgeous. Something to definitely be proud of accomplishing, and I'd imagine the guy you built it for will be blown away.

Guess it took a bit longer than the original 6 months you thought, haha.

Hi Scrodes and thank you! Sorry for being so late in answering you question. You've probably got that project built and moved on by now :blush:
I did the deck planking for this solid hull by cutting the planks and glueing them to a 1/32 thick sub deck (the planks are also 1/32 thick) and glueing the assembly the hull. The planks are made of basswood, this wood doesn't take stain very pretty so after a golden oak stain was applied I masked individual planks and rubbed dry pigments into the wood. repeating this mask and pigment process for all the planks varying the colors. when I thought the deck looked good I clear coated it with a dull sheen.

Tim

Ha! You don't know me very well. Ships scare me.

What did you use for the dry pigments? Pastel? MiG? Which colours?

My hat's off to you, Tim- that's one fabulous build! There' so much to a project like this, and you've clearly mastered it all. I find the rigging to be really daunting, what with the general complexity and delicate nature. Tying tiny block-and-tackles and such must take mighty zen powers! Cheers on a real triumph of our art, my friend! :drinks

Tim, I cannot say it any better than most of these replies; I am overwhelmed by what an incredibly outstanding masterpiece this is. You certainly have brought into existence one of the finest models I have seen in a decade. I bow to the Master. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Tim[/quote]

Ha! You don't know me very well. Ships scare me.

What did you use for the dry pigments? Pastel? MiG? Which colours?[/quote]

I used powdered pastel chalks. I stuck mostly with the browns of course like umbers but pretty much ran the gantlet on what I thought the wood needed to look ok. I used the powder to tone down and "age" all the bare wood as well as the painted areas. I used a brush to apply and rub in the color. keep in mind bare wood will really "soak" up the pigments so go light then darker if needed, it doesn't take much.

Tim

Thanks so much for all the great compliments guys. It means a lot to me!!! :good: :v
Lol Bob... Yep, since this started some of us have had kids go through high school and enter college!

I did a pencil & pastel drawing for myself of the Chasseur sailing in a light breeze to take on the entire British fleet. Yes the Chasseur's captain actually did that....
h0298512.jpg

Tim

Bob, I noticed Fledermaus's Schnellboot S-100 build started a couple of months before mine and is still going.... :yipee

Tim

Back