• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Baltimore Clipper Build, this will take awhile..

Hi Tim,
a lot of craftsmanship involved in building a boat indeed. Especially if you consider the fact that everything was hand hewed and bent in those days . Not bargain drilling all those holes by hand either.
I think you would enjoy a trip to look at the Constitution. I get the feeling that it gets worked on all the time just to maintain it seaworthy.
Great work so far Tim .

Cheers,Christian B)

Thanks JS and Christian, didn't get any work done this weekend.... between work and helping a friend fix a car no time left.

I read or heard one time that there is only about 10% of the Constitution that is still original? I know it went through some re-fits and resto's I'm suprised theres that much left. Yes, I would love to visit it. I really enjoy the virtual tour online though. Btw...another ship I'd really love see is Vasa or Wasa a warship from the 1600's. Again there is a nice virtual tour of it too.

Tim

Just wondering if there's been any progress here?? Looking forward to seeing more!

Hi Mike, yeah....I'm making some progress and will post some pics in a few days. It's a slow process as every piece has to be cut shaped and fitted. :bang head get to work on it only about an hour in the evenings haha. I also stopped for a while to get the RC planes ready for the summer :D

Tim

That's why we have not seen any pictures. Hope there's no Jap. planes involved. I would hate for them to go Kamikaze on that ship. Too much wood ! ! ! :popcorn

To much wood is right Christian :laugh:

What little modelling time I get with this build most is spent looking at photo's and drawings to know the practice's of the peri
od. I'm learning some interesting facts such as I was questioning the use of a tiller rather than a wheel for steering. At 96 ft. the ship isn't small. I found out that the tiller was much more responsive than a wheel, very useful in battle. Anyway here's some pics of the progress. The hull is planked and the wale strakes and planksheers are on. The stanchions are added to the inside of the gunwales. The rudder is on and the tiller is attached, these parts are removable. The transom has proved to be the hardest part so far as the angles and bends to the piece was crazy. The straps for the rudder hinges will be "dummy's" and added after the copper plating is on the hull.

Tim

sternview3.jpg

sternview2.jpg

stern4.jpg

sternview1.jpg

000_2154.JPG

bow2.jpg

bow1.jpg

bow3.jpg

It's absolutely amazing what a true craftsman can create! :eek:hmy: Excellent!

All the best!
Dusan.

:popcorn Hi tom, I'm really enjoying how complex this build is. It looks very nice . I hope you do use copper for the hull.
I just came back from a trip to a location that used a lot of copper for the roofing material. Wow, what a nice look it has after it has aged for a while. I think that would look very cool.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks guys :v

I'm planning on using real copper. The real plates were about 1' x 2' so mine will be 5/32 x 10/32....tiny little buggers! The real ones over lapped each other but at this scale (5/32 = 1') I'm afraid overlap would not look right so they will be butted up to each other. Chistian I have seen some models done with the plates treated in contrasting patina's. They look very attractive. Mine will be left for time to age.

Tim

I finished up the skylight tonight. All the deck hardware and furniture will be fastened to the deck after they are painted and the deck itself is clearcoated.
One the real ships the window panels could be lifted up for added ventilation. Rather than cut these out of one piece I built the window frames as the real ones would be.

Tim

skylight_1.jpg

skylight_3.jpg

Absolutely awesome. Its been so many years since I built a ship and this just brings back memories. You are doing sterling work on her (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Thanks guys!! (y)

James dispite having other projects I'd rather be doing I really am enjoying building the clipper. I figure by the time I get to the masts and rigging I'll be working for free on it for what I qouted the gentleman to build it. That will make it even more enjoyable...you know...take the edge off a bit :lol:

Tim

Had the day off so I spent it making the capstan. Some ships had a windlass but the plans show a capstan. Both were used to bring in the anchors and perform other heavy lifting tasks. The capstan worked by inserting poles in the square holes then crew members would rotate it.... it worked like a winch.
Sometimes I hate wood :angry: The stryene parts will represent painted iron.

Tim

capstan_4.jpg

capstan_1.jpg

000_2166.JPG

Back