• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 scale Bf 109's x 2

Really envy the time you're getting on the bench, Les - and everybody else here of course. Very nice work indeed. Did you see the RoG G-10 review on Hyperscale yesterday ??

Ian

Thanks Bob!

Ian, yes I did see the review of the Revell Erla Bf 109G-10 and can't wait to get my hands on one of those kits. Eagle Editions is going to make some decal sheets for this kit too! :)

Having all this extra bench time is nice but its also a double edge sword...its no fun seeing all these wonderful new kits come out and not being able to afford them. This is the longest stretch of time I ever had of being jobless and there is little hope for the future, the area where I live its still the great depression.

Matrixone

Okay Hubert, here you go...more pictures! :)

The RLM 75 that was sprayed on the upper surfaces has been weathered, I sprayed lightened versions of the 75 on to age and fade the paint slightly and as you can see in the pictures most of the lightened patches was concentrated on the wing roots and the fabric covered control surfaces.

h057d3d5.JPG

h94aa2ce.JPG

ha230f43.JPG

hbefcbee.JPG

The spinners have been painted and the spirals added, the spinner for the G-14 was masked and painted, the spinner spiral for Frankenschmitt was done with a decal. I wanted the spinner spirals to look different from one another to represent them having been painted by different people.
Also in this picture you can (barely) see some of the weathering done on the front of the prop blades, they are a slightly lighter shade of RLM 70 near the tips. Later on some paint chipping will be done to complete the weathering effect.

ha0b4c8d.JPG

...and here is a shot of the rear of the prop blades and the rear of the blades have a lot of the RLM 70 worn off. The photograph of Frankenschmitt showed that it had most of its paint missing from the rear of the prop blades pretty much like what you see here.

h7a7a84c.JPG

Some work was done on the Revell Bf 109G-10 kit, the cockpit is done and the fuselage halves are glued together. Next up for this model is to deal with the seam lines and then glue the wings on.
My plans for the markings of this model have been changed, after looking through one of my JaPo Bf 109 books I found a photograph of a great looking Bf 109G-14AS that has an interesting paint scheme that will be a challenge to paint. :woohoo:

h1bfbd74.JPG

hd58841e.JPG

Matrixone

Much more painting done on the Messerschmitts today, the wings and tail planes have had their second camouflage color added. This was done free handed and took longer than expected because each one of these 109's have a different camouflage pattern and I wanted them to be correct in their application of the paint so I really had to pay close attention to reference books as I was painting. Like I did when painting the RLM 75 I also sprayed lighter versions of the secondary paint color to represent some wear and tear and light fading.
This first picture below shows the evolution of the camouflage pattern from the G-6 to the K-4. The G-6 is the one with the wing cannon, the K-4 is the one with the 75/83 painted wings.

h23fd4b7.JPG

h43eeeba.JPG

h4a51249.JPG

hb390811.JPG

hbb734cc.JPG

Matrixone

Thanks Ian, painting the rest of the camouflage on these models should go much better since there is less area to paint but I must admit painting Frankenschmitt does have some challenges ahead...this K-4 had seen a lot of action and there are some old markings that were painted over plus obvious repainting from repairs from battle damage, the Revolution BR will get a real workout. :lol:

Matrixone

Thanks guys!

Its been a busy day of painting for me, the last of the camouflage colors have been sprayed on this trio of Messerschmitts.
All this work was done freehanded which was not hard to do but I had to carefully study my reference photographs while I was airbrushing and my eyes quickly got tired while doing this. My plans of painting these 109's like a production line to save time is not working as well as I expected, there is too much variation in the camouflage styles to save that much time. ;)
Below are all three Messerschmitts...

h13596fa.JPG

he86c9c1.JPG

The G-6, this is going to be marked as Hackl's aircraft and it will get the fin and rudder painted white and will also have a yellow tail band.

hcae56b9.JPG

hfcf8c45.JPG

And here is the G-14, this one will be made as 'yellow 18' and will get a white tail band on the fuselage. I will have to hand paint some older painted over markings before adding the decals, also the paint on some of the panel lines have flaked off and RLM 02 was brushed on leaving some lines here and there that almost gives it the look of a poorly weathered scale model.

h78982d9.JPG

h223df20.JPG

Lastly is Frankenschmitt, this K-4 had been in use by another unit before being handed over to JG 52 and had its former markings roughly sprayed over with dark paint, after the paint is fully dry I will mask off the nose and rudder and airbrush them yellow.

ha925fc8.JPG

h618580a.JPG

Matrixone

Thanks for looking in guys!

Ian,
The G-14 will be finished as 'yellow 18' of 7./JG 3. I found two photographs of this aircraft in one of my reference books and this 109 looks like a hot mess because of the crudely over painted former markings, the risk of trying to replicate this type of paint scheme is that the finished model might look like it was painted by a beginning modeler...those that have seen Allied aircraft with roughly applied invasion stripes will know what I am talking about here, do you try and paint the invasion stripes like they looked on the full size aircraft and risk the model ending up looking like it is a very poorly painted model or do you try and go for a neater but unrealistic paint job on the invasion stripes to get a more acceptable looking model? :idonno

Matrixone

Oh, Les, do not get me started on that one :evil: - I've mentioned here before that for a time I was on the IPMS(UK) National Committee, and the things that I overheard and were said directly to me in 'Judges Huddles' at the National Competition regarding the replication of 'invasion stripes'...

...Man, I could write a book, but nobody would believe it !!

Ian

The RVD bands and tactical markings have been masked and airbrushed on. Also the roughly painted out former markings on the G-14 was brush painted on...yuck...it looks ugly. :sick:

h9162ad4.JPG

h1d9119c.JPG

Here is the G-14 with the painted over former markings and touched up panel lines on the fuselage.

h8825ded.JPG

And here are photographs of the real thing so you can see what it is I am trying to copy.

h19109e8.JPG

Notice the crudely painted 'yellow 18' where the brush strokes are visible as well as the top of the fuselage cross where some of the paint is missing.

h1e12412.JPG

Here is the G-6, you might notice the RLM 76 square on the white fin, the swastika decal will go in there. On the full size G-6 the swastika was simply masked off before the white paint was added leaving a little of the RLM 76 showing between the arms of the swastika.

h4965ac0.JPG

And lastly is the K-4, I used the airbrush to further lighten and weather some of the paint on the upper surfaces...this aircraft had a long service life compared to many other K-4's and was quite shabby looking at the end of the war.

haa79e8f.JPG

Below is a really nice reference book on the 109, even though its an older book now its still quite useful and it has many rare photographs in it. If you see this one on sale at a used book store its worth getting.

h8dfbcaa.JPG

Matrixone

Back