• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 scale Bf 109's x 2

Despite watching and reading everything you've done, I still don't know how you do it. What an amazing bit of weathering; it looks so incredibly realistic!

Thanks Luiz, Ian, and Duke Maddog!

Getting ever closer to having this one finished, the exhaust stubs have been glued in and the final bit of exhaust stains have airbrushed on to blend everything together.
The landing gear legs have also been fitted. Not seen are the wheels which were given their weathering earlier today.

h22e88b7.JPG

h0fd5e13.JPG

hba28260.JPG

ha31bea6.JPG

hb432d84.JPG

hf6dedfc.JPG

Matrixone

Rain streaks worked superbly, Les :good:

So if 'imitation [really] is the sincerest form of flattery', then check-out my G-2 in about an hour when I've cropped & edited the pics... :coolio

Ian.

The hits just keep comin'! Those "rain soot streaks" look very convincing- clever paint work, Les- cheers!

Simply magnificent Les! Stunning good work!

I was wondering though, would it be more realistic if some more lighter exhaust stains were added a bit closer to the front end of the exhaust ports? It seems to my untrained eye that the front two exhaust ports aren't putting any exhaust out. Then again, I know nothing about any of this, but it would seem a lighter dusting closer to the front would appear more consistent as it gets darker toward the rear.

You know what you're doing and have the pics to prove it. Feel free to disregard what I said; again, I really don't have any knowledge about how these plane engines worked anyway.

Thanks guys!

Duke,
I understand what you are saying about the exhaust stains but after looking at many photographs of 109's with heavy exhaust stains I painted my K-4 to match what I had seen, the lighting was not the best when the last set of in-progress pictures were taken and the very subtle exhaust stains near the front of the exhaust stacks is hard to see. Hopefully when the model is finished and out at the airfield in the sunshine this feature can be seen. :)

Here are two 109's with heavy exhaust stains, the bottom photograph is a K-4 similar to my model.

h0cfe1b9.jpg

h2b79353.jpg

The K-4 has had many of the small bits added and after touching up those things with paint the model will get its flat clear coat.

Matrixone

Ah yes, I see what you are referring to. I was wrong, as I figured I was; thanks for setting me straight. Like I said, you know what you're doing!

Carry on my friend and thanks again!

It seems that I look in on your builds periodically Les and get amazed every time. :notworthy (y)

I like seeing several steps in a row on the painting. For me it is easier to follow and understand where you are going with the process. :notworthy

The exhaust and rain streaks are superb! I also like the white 10 with the replacement vertical stab that is a different color. :notworthy

The weathering looks so real.
I'd kill to be able to have that talent beyond just a pin wash and dry brushing.
Still stuck in 2nd grade weathering!

Tim

Back