• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 scale Bf 109's x 2

I've not seen either of those photos before - Man, that Romanian '65' looks battered. Wouldn't be brave enough to try to replicate that finish m'self tho' far too many opportunities to really scr*w-it-up !!

Ian

I've not seen either of those photos before - Man, that Romanian '65' looks battered. Wouldn't be brave enough to try to replicate that finish m'self tho' far too many opportunities to really scr*w-it-up !!

Ian

Well, I find that statement humorous . :laugh:

It's hard to make a spotless finish but if you batter it up , who can say whether you screwed it up ? It would just be battered :rotf :soldier

Cheers, Christian B)

The color photograph has been around for ages but the b/w image is one I have not seen before, thanks for posting it!

Speaking of 109's with a battered finish the Hasegawa Bf 109G-14 I am building is going to be marked as 'yellow 18' of 7./JG 3 and it also has a badly worn paint job. Some of the paint on the panel lines on the fuselage have peeled off and looks like they were retouched with brush painted RLM 02, also an earlier marking on the fuselage had been crudely brush painted out and the yellow 18 painted on top of it. The RLM 74 on the center of the fuselage cross has some paint missing near the top, it was either scraped off or peeled off. This Hasegawa kit is a breeze to build but the ease of assembly will be more than offset by the difficulty of the paint scheme. ;)

Matrixone

A short time ago the pre-shading was sprayed over, all went well during this airbrush session.

As for my experiment of using dark blue for pre-shading the undersurfaces it was okay but I will go back to using gray colors, the blue did not work as well for this purpose.

h50e2ad8.JPG

habb0f88.JPG

h79c0576.JPG

h26332d4.JPG

Matrixone

Thanks Paul!
I have seen some photographs of operational Bf 109's that returned from missions and had landing mishaps making it easy to see the empty shell chutes and how that part of the 109 could get really dirty...from what I could see the staining was caused by a mix of leaking engine oil and powder stains from the empty shells being ejected.

Matrixone

Photos coming soon Les, hope will help with painting / weathering / finish. I got close-ups where possible, plenty of scratches and dents, markings and all that. Hope it will help

In the meantime, here's a link to some of the stuff in their collection:

http://www.awm.gov.au/search/all/?query=messerschmitt+109&op=Search&section%5B0%5D=collections&filter%5Btype%5D=Photograph

Laurence

Looking great Les. I simply cannot build a clean, neat and new plane no matter how hard I try. I am a huge proponent of used and abused aircraft and all my drop tanks are as rough as a bear's arse.

A short time ago the pre-shading was sprayed over, all went well during this airbrush session.

As for my experiment of using dark blue for pre-shading the undersurfaces it was okay but I will go back to using gray colors, the blue did not work as well for this purpose.

h50e2ad8.JPG

habb0f88.JPG

h79c0576.JPG

h26332d4.JPG

Matrixone

(y)

Great progress Les, nothing's better than a picture with natural light!

All the best!
Dusan.

As promised, the Me109G at the museum in Canberra. Sorry for the blurry one. The plane is mounted on a pillar 5-6 m above ground so I could take a pic of the belly (sort of).

hdfe70b4.JPG

hd0e78d4.JPG

h58c22e4.JPG

h9db7d1e.JPG

hfd0971b.JPG

h4869ad7.JPG

haaa12f2.JPG

Hope it helps

Laurence

Thanks Laurence . I much prefer seeing these birds in their original paint jobs . (y) (y) (y)

They are a far cry from the perfect articles shown in most museum . It really depicts how hard life really was in those days . :blink

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks jugjunkie, Bob, Dusan, and Laurence!

jugjunkie,
Most WWII birds just look more natural with some weathering on them and that is especially true for Axis aircraft.
Just two weeks ago I was looking through my copy of 'Augsburg Nest Of Eagles' published by Classic and what really caught my eye was several photographs of brand new Bf 109s that had been test flown and even though they had only been in the air for a short time they still had exhaust stains and the tires had some dust and dirt on them.

Laurence,
Thanks for posting those pictures of the Bf 109, its always a treat to see one of the old warbirds still in the original colors.
If you look closely at the swastika the white outline is applied with the use of a stencil, this 109 was recycled and parts of the airframe had to be repainted which in this case included the swastika. Also check out the funky mottling on the rudder...not exactly factory standard. :hmmm

Matrixone

Also... look at the 'sheen' off the paint. There's a few well published pics of this. When new they really were on the glossy side of satin !!

Ian

That's a good point Ian, in several of my reference books I have seen photographs of Luftwaffe ground crew wet sanding and polishing the paint to make it as smooth as possible...of course that was done before the heavy losses of aircraft later in the war which made the extra effort in polishing the flying surfaces a waste of time. Also later in the war a lot of ground crew were transferred to the Army to make up for manpower shortages on the Eastern front...the remaining ground crew had their hands full keeping the aircraft flightworthy which left little extra time for waxing the aircraft.

Matrixone

Oops, I did it again :blush:, another 109 has been started. This 109 kit is a real moldy oldy from Revell from the late 1970's-early 1980's, I chased off the spiders and grabbed the box and started work on it right away, this model will be mostly O.O.B. except for the decals, I want to mark this 109 as one of the many 109's that surrendered to American forces on May 8th 1945 at Neubiberg.
This may be some classic plastic but Revell did an excellent on this kit and it is still worth building even today.
hf4d22d7.JPG

Check out the old Revell sweepstakes entry I found in the box...look at the truck and the motorcycle that were to be given away as prizes. :rotf

h5a92886.JPG

I have given the cockpit parts a coat of RLM 66 Black-gray so I can soon start some detail painting.

h94beef6.JPG

Below are the other 109's that have been started and painting of the uppersurfaces has begun.
When I paint models of Luftwaffe fighters I usually paint the wings and tail planes separately from the fuselage, this way I have something to hang onto without the risk of getting fingerprints in wet paint.
Here you can see the wavy demarcation line on the leading edges, this is the most difficult part in painting the wings so I like to get this part out of the way first.

h9b6bde5.JPG

The Hasegawa Bf 109G-14 is the one at the top of this picture and in this shot the pre-shading on the undersides can just barely be seen.

h9188cbd.JPG

This last picture shows the differences between the wavy demarcation lines on the leading edges of the G-14 and the Frankenschmitt Bf 109K-4 (Frankenschmitt is on the lower right). Bf 109K-4's did not often have neatly applied leading edge wavy demarcation lines like the earlier G-6 and G-14 did and I was successful in capturing this effect on my Frankenschmitt.

he1c7dd7.JPG

Matrixone

Back