• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Wingnuts Gotha

I've been trying to post something about you build Here .... But ... :woohoo:
h36707ee_2015-09-10.gif

Thanks all :good:

So I have been working on the lower wings for the past 2 nights. Working with light and dark colors and masking the ribs and spraying the smoke.

This wing is the base color with the rib taped and then smoke sprayed. Then it is somewhat over sprayed with the base color again.

And this side was similar method except I first sprayed the ribs with a much lighter color, once done, tried to blend all back with base coat.

So who likes what?

Great job ... I think I like the first set that has been smoked & over sprayed with the base ... :salute

There's a variation in lighting that changes the color a bit (going by the background), so it's hard to detect the subtleties.

That said, I think the effect is superb in all photos. :good:

Thanks all, pics were taken by phone so not the best quality. Gonna work on them some more over the weekend. May set them aside and work on something else. You keep looking at the same thing for an extended time, they start looking the same.

Thanks again all.

Started with the upper wing when I got home. Laid down the camo then went to the smoke. Went about how I was gonna mask the ribs. This wing is so damn long I did not feel like masking all of it. I did a few and was like nope, not gonna happen. So I then took some strips of styrene and used as a mask. That worked pretty well. Just spray and lift, spray and lift.

Started out with this by taping them to the back, that was gonna take forever, then went the other direction of just holding it down.

End result not bad. Got to reduce the effect tomorrow.

I should had painted most of the upper wings as separate assemblies. The center section that joins the 2 together sets the dihedral. The joint is not strong too much lifting and moving has weakened it considerable. I may have to separate the 2 halves and insert a strong rod as describe in my book I am following along in. I would had glued the 2 as the last step, let dry, then set to the spars. Just a heads up for any wanting to build her.

Gonna be awhile before I get the nerve to tackle a build like this My friend ... Looking great ... Good luck ... :pilot

Forgot to ask, how did you get the strips to lay down while spraying?

If you look at one of the previous pictures, you see a green cap bottle and a file. I placed one end under the bottle as a holder, position over rib, and used the tip of file to hold the other end. Rinse and repeat.

Thanks again all, I am liking the way it is starting to look.

Back