• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Wingnuts Gotha

Thanks all for your kind words.

Next topic of discussion is the color. After looking through the internet, the color for the LVG Gotha is up in the air.

I am trying to figure out what blue to go with. It calls for xf-18 medium blue and I have read that most feel is incorrect.

I have looked at misterkit Gotha built blue and tried to match that.

This is the xf-18 side

And this is the blue I tried mixing.

Undecided at this time and open for suggestions.

I like the mix, very vibrant. You know we're talking about colors that were created 100 years ago. Unless someone finds an unopened can that had been hermetically sealed all these years there's no way to know what it really REALLY was. We can't even come to an agreement about Olive Drab or Panzer Grey.

That being said, I'd go with the custom mix. :popcorn

Thanks all for your kind words.

Next topic of discussion is the color. After looking through the internet, the color for the LVG Gotha is up in the air.

I am trying to figure out what blue to go with. It calls for xf-18 medium blue and I have read that most feel is incorrect.

I have looked at misterkit Gotha built blue and tried to match that.

This is the xf-18 side

And this is the blue I tried mixing.

Undecided at this time and open for suggestions.

Very nice so far....I feel your pain concerning the colors :fencing

Cheers, Christian B)

Not too bad, just wondering how I am going to go about weathering it? Might try oil dot.

Big10 it truely is a conundrum. In addition the paints they used could have been different from can to can and the constant sun and weather on these planes would affect that as well. All we know for sure is that it was supposedly a light to medium blue.

Heck Wingnut even gives 2 types of decals for MoRoTAS. One set being Black/White/Red, and the other being Red/White/Yellow. So who knows. I suspect the color called out in the WingNut instructions is as close as could be guessed at, but then you can always tweak that to your preference.

Only the hairdresser knows for sure. :D

Love the custom mix. Love the whole thing. You are really making me look at my shelf queen with new eyes.
James

Thanks all for all the compliments. :yipee You guys are right about the color, who really knows what the true color was.

Dave, its moved so fast as I had almost 10 days off. Now that I go back to work, it will really slow down. :( :angry:

James, bring dat thang back out and get cranking on it. :frantic

I had oreded some paint from MisterKit about 3 weeks ago and it still has not showed up. I was really hoping to use it, but i cannot sit around and wait on paint.

On to some pics.
When you join the 2 top wings together, you are left with a deep groove that should not be there. My solution was just tenax7 and small plastic rod.

Once dry, used Tamiya liquid putty. I really like this stuff, dries fast.

Looks good under a coat of primer.

I want bring your attention back to the engines.
I was given a bit of advice by a fellow modeler on another site.

Before you cover the engine up, you need to run rigging that will be impossible to get too later after the top wing is on.
Both of these attach to the cage that is under the exhaust.
Do this for both sides that are under the exhaust.

They then run up behind the exhaust like so.

I then attach them to some blu tac that is protecting my struts.

Doing it now, as I was advise, is going to save me a really bad headache down the line.

Thanks again all.

Nice catch on the rigging. Good to have someone to blaze the trail ain't it? Looking good John. :popcorn

Top build!!!

:eek:ldguy If it wasn't for the rigging i would buy this kit .

Love those WW1 camouflage colors (y)

Finally Got a Chance to Catch up on this Build and Just wow love the Choice of Colours I can't wait to see More
:popcorn

Trogdor, thank you for following along.

Piet, I'm trying my dangest to get to the rigging, I am so looking forward to it. The only other plane that I had rigged was my albatross and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Laying down some color and working on weathering the fuselage some.

My paint booth is just over 30 inches and the top wing will just barley fit.

Really liking the way its starting to look.

Keep in mind that the colors are not finished, I am spraying in super thin coats. I will let that dry and fill in more tomorrow.

I think I am going to use a gallon before its all said and done.

h49f0172.jpg

Back