• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1:32 Mustang

I am SO certain that Tamiya has a VLR Mustang in the works. I bet they have a bunch of flashed over holes for all the various antenna arrangements on the fuselage spine. Can you check?

Regards,

I did, and they Do. I'll get a shot of that part in the next couple of days.

I haven't looked but I think I only have one antenna mast. Wouldn't you know it, I'm having to scratch around to figure out how to do this VLR build and they are going to do it.

The fact that the center spin where the various types of antennas were installed has flashed over holes, it's clear they are going to offer it, you're right.

Saul, now you have the kit you can see for yourself. The underside of the spin where the antenna mount and it's flashed over holes. Lots of options it looks like.
P51D038.jpg

P51D039.jpg

Dry fitting everything.

P51D040.jpg

The rear radio set (I don't know what model number it is) is not called for on this kit. I'm going to make use of it because the AN/ARA-8 homing radio would have been mounted there. I have not found a clear picture of what that VHF set looked like, I have found some installation diagrams of how wire harnesses were run. There may be some modification of the radio rack, I think that's some sort of sump for the battery sitting there, most likely not needed if the radio is mounted there. This second radio also has locator pins on both the bottom and side. Multiple mounting configurations, multiple versions of the kit. :D

Still lots more painting to do, I'm using Migs, Neutral and Dark washes here. Man I hope those decals show up soon!

Aside from the tailwheel bay with the proper canvas cover and boot, Jerry is looking at correcting the Hamilton Standard spinner and releasing the Aeroproducts spinner. The Aeroproducts propeller is already available from Grey Matter Figures.

Regards and thanks for the photo,

I'm going to make use of it because the AN/ARA-8 homing radio would have been mounted there. I have not found a clear picture of what that VHF set looked like, I have found some installation diagrams of how wire harnesses were run. There may be some modification of the radio rack, I think that's some sort of sump for the battery sitting there, most likely not needed if the radio is mounted there. This second radio also has locator pins on both the bottom and side.

argus_ara8_panel.jpg

ANAAR-8Set00.jpg

ANAAR-8Set.jpg

Does this help?

Regards,

It does Saul, I found those earlier at the www.506thfightergroup.org site. I also find the AN/ARA8 control panel is integrated with the IFF control panel on this aircraft.

So that's the configuration i'm going with. Not sure it's 100% but it's what I have to work with. Going to do some wiring today. Just can't put this down to finish other stuff.

Gator Masks...

Bob, the P-51 SIG site is now processing registrations again. Need a link?

Regards,

Bob,

I see you at the SIG, now go the the in box review and print it out! Or, you can wait until I post over there (it is not my legwork so I will ask permission before posting here) a variant-by-variant-what-kit-parts-to-use list based on Christian's superb in-box review.

Being my thorough self (patting my back again, no wonder I have gorilla length arms) I will try to incorporate data from the other Mustang Tech threads such as the Seats and Wheel Bay colors.

Regards,

I'm about to post what I have right now and ask for corrections. Thanks Saul. lots to absorb there.

Chris it's not so bad, I could do this build totally OOB and be happy. Just getting that obsessive disorder thing satisfied.

bob, you don't know AMS until you read the response with suggestions over at the P-51SIG:

by hlppls45
First of all nice model
some minor nitpicks
1 the brake should be black not red
2 pipes are natural metal colored not black. Only the rubber parts are black
3 little black box next to oil tank was only used on D-5 NA and D-5 NT. Tamiya screw up
4 seat pad was chrome yellow. head rest should be dark forest green which will appear as almost black.
5 radio box needs to be turned around. Tamiya has it backwards.
Heads up items:
6. radio fitment will need some research. It appears that that the aircraft has been fitted with the an/ara-8 radio set which means that the equipment panels and boxes will be different. Tourist will know more about this area.
7. Use part d-28 shroud which should be the flat one. Do not use the ribbed shroud piece D-27 which is used for D-25,30 NA
and K-15 NT and later. FYI there were two different ribbed shrouds used but at this scale the differences would be small
8. piece d-5 k-14 control box is mounted on the right side of the shroud not the left as in the instruction manual and is oriented with the controls facing the left for last 200 D-20 and D-25 NA and the first 100 D-20NT.Instruction manual is correct for D-30 NA last 300 D-20 NT and all D-25 and D-30 NT aircraft.
9. Panel on the back of the armor plate is incorrect for all D models except D-30 NA,D-30 NT and possible some or all D-25 NT
10. Instrument panel and surround are completely fubarred. This is the one area of the kit where Tamiya completely dropped the ball. You did pick the correct parts for the aircraft you are modeling. Tamiya in trying to represent the various D-models completely hashed the panels and so many of the details on your panel are incorrect.

Regards,

bob, you don't know AMS until you read the response with suggestions over at the P-51SIG:

by hlppls45
First of all nice model
some minor nitpicks
1 the brake should be black not red
2 pipes are natural metal colored not black. Only the rubber parts are black
3 little black box next to oil tank was only used on D-5 NA and D-5 NT. Tamiya screw up
4 seat pad was chrome yellow. head rest should be dark forest green which will appear as almost black.
5 radio box needs to be turned around. Tamiya has it backwards.
Heads up items:
6. radio fitment will need some research. It appears that that the aircraft has been fitted with the an/ara-8 radio set which means that the equipment panels and boxes will be different. Tourist will know more about this area.
7. Use part d-28 shroud which should be the flat one. Do not use the ribbed shroud piece D-27 which is used for D-25,30 NA
and K-15 NT and later. FYI there were two different ribbed shrouds used but at this scale the differences would be small
8. piece d-5 k-14 control box is mounted on the right side of the shroud not the left as in the instruction manual and is oriented with the controls facing the left for last 200 D-20 and D-25 NA and the first 100 D-20NT.Instruction manual is correct for D-30 NA last 300 D-20 NT and all D-25 and D-30 NT aircraft.
9. Panel on the back of the armor plate is incorrect for all D models except D-30 NA,D-30 NT and possible some or all D-25 NT
10. Instrument panel and surround are completely fubarred. This is the one area of the kit where Tamiya completely dropped the ball. You did pick the correct parts for the aircraft you are modeling. Tamiya in trying to represent the various D-models completely hashed the panels and so many of the details on your panel are incorrect.

Regards,

OMG!!! that's just nuts!!! Armor guys are just as bad.

:gogo

Back