• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1:32 Mustang

YIKES!!!!

oh...

OK. I know how to make Tamiya release the P47. I have to start my Big Trumpeter Razorback P47 and within weeks they will release the new uber detailed wizbang kit.

I think it's pretty clear that's what the part is. Also could be a F4U in the works.

OK. I know how to make Tamiya release the P47... Also could be a F4U in the works.

Nope, the other items on the fret point to the F-51D release. The USAF tested the Tiny Tim on a two seat F-51D 44-84885 which was later transferred to the ROKAF and eventually lost in an accident 4th April 1954.

8thFBW35thFBS.jpg

The caption to the photograph above is F-51D Mustang of the 35th FBS at Kimpo in the fall of 1950. Pilot 1st Lt Robert M. Dewald remembers that this aircraft had its fuselage fuel tank and armor plate removed because of battle damage. With a seatbelt installed it became a two-seater, with the cramped passenger facing to the rear. The 11.75in Tiny Tim rockets each with a warhead weighing 550lb (250kg) and a 750lb (340kg) rocket motor, were real blockbusters. Lt. Col. William T. Samways "requisitioned" the Tiny Tims after they were found at Kimpo and used them on a mission against bridges on the Yalu River.

The above information comes from Martin a.k.a. Swiss Mustangs and posted on January of 2005 at the Mustangs Mustangs forum.

TinyTim8thFBW35thFBS00.jpg

The above photograph is from Schiffer's P-51 Mustangs over Korea - The North American F-51 at War 1950-53 by Dan R. McLaren.

Regards,

That's cool Saul, thanks for checking into this. Riding backwards in a F51? Notice the uncuffed prop.

So it's a safe bet there is a F6 Mustang and F51 coming.

Yes, it is a safe bet. I added a photo credit to the second image. If the ordnance is on its own sprue trees, they may be recycled with a Hellcat, Corsair, or P-47 (but I doubt the last one as the N is not as popular even though everyone I know loves Jugs).

Regards,

Unlike some, I'm being a conformist and starting where the instructions tell me to start, the engine!

Building up the engine block shows more detail than you notice during inspection, things like the exhaust ports on the heads, could easily be modeled in a maintenance display without the headers. What's not shown well is any wiring, that'll be coming in the form of solder. Now check this out!
P51D017.jpg

Gaskets for the intake manifold! how neat is that!
P51D018.jpg

Here they are in place.

P51D019.jpg

Here's part of the ducting for the supercharger, housed inside it is a single Nut and two rubber bushings. The Nut is for attaching the engine to the firewall part with a screw. Talk about positive locating pin! Far better than what I was looking at with the Dragon kit which only had two locating pins on either side of the block creating a pivot, you just were not sure where to line that engine up at.

P51D020.jpg

And here we are all build up with a glossing black coat. I'll be knocked down some when I get some washes and detail painting done

P51D021.jpg

If it ever dries with the 100% humidity factor we got around here lately!

Now I have to find a scheme before moving too much further. Need to know the specific aircraft because of the choices inside the cockpit.

I'm really likin' this kit!

I'm smelling upgrade package from Tamiya. There's two parts associated with the ignition system. The spark plug wires are conspicuously absent in this kit, but the parts, H30 and H31 both have, what looks to me, locating pins for some tube type part that would represent the ignition wiring. I"m going to scratch it out of something but i'm really going to be peeved if they are sitting on more parts for this thing waiting for the right timing marketing wise to release it...

I'm smelling upgrade package from Tamiya. There's two parts associated with the ignition system. The spark plug wires are conspicuously absent in this kit, but the parts, H30 and H31 both have, what looks to me, locating pins for some tube type part that would represent the ignition wiring. I"m going to scratch it out of something but i'm really going to be peeved if they are sitting on more parts for this thing waiting for the right timing marketing wise to release it...

Thats the way love goes Moon. Just when you think that you hane all you neen then bang AM parts.

I love Brass...

I tried to do this out of Plastistruc stock but just couldn't get the bends as consistent as I can with brass.

Working with .8mm solid rod for the ignition conduit with 1.0mm brass tube cut very thin for couplings and fittings. Nevermind the cracked silver paint job..I'll take care of that later. :drinks
P51D022.jpg

P51D023.jpg

P51D024.jpg

P51D025.jpg

The spark plugs are going to be the simulated nut/bolt from Scale Hardware with a spacer in between the head and the sparkplug hex fitting. now to find the right size wire to go from spark plug to the conduit.

I'm basing this off various pictures on the google search of Packard V1650. I see that there were a couple of variances on the routing of the conduit so I see it as an inexact issue.

I think I found the scheme I want to do for this build.

7th Fighter Group, the Sundowners.

This picture caught my eye.

342-FH-3A-42218-67970AC_462nd_fs_604_607_44-72861.JPG

Check out the double mast.

It comes from the 7th Fighter website

462nd FS, looks like really simple markings to replicate and a pretty clean scheme to showcase NMF. :pilot

Some extra information on the photograph presented from G. Masher:
"P-51D 44-63647 of the 462nd Ftr Sq, 506th FG, Iwo Jima. This ship was damaged in a takeoff accident at North Field, Guam on 19 July 1945, at the hands of LT George W. Nelson."

Regards,

I'll be doing it as it was before Lt. Nelson got ahold of it... :mpup

Saul what's your take on the double mast? Would there be a different radio set in this because of the range they were covering?

Nice motor plumbing Moon Pup (y) I also like the scheme you've chose, the painted section on fuse and tail looks interesting.

Tim

Back