• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1:32 Mustang

I believe this is one of the VLR (Very Long Range) Mustangs and it was plumbed for large fuel tanks, different radios, antennas, and a raft.

See here for history.

Regards,

Nice motor plumbing Moon Pup (y) I also like the scheme you've chose, the painted section on fuse and tail looks interesting.

Tim

HA! Just found that tail section is Yellow. :pilot More Chrome Yellow coming up.

Saul I thought those drop tanks look larger than the European ones. I'm on that site checking it out now. (y)

Here's an interesting line.

The comment that "maintenance on Iwo was tops" seems universal among the 51 jocks. If a pilot wanted a new carburetor all he had to do was mention it. Many crew chiefs kept their aircraft waxed and sanded for extra speed, though some joked it was because there was nothing else to do on Iwo.

Minimum weathering then.

About the antennas.

Seventh Fighter Command frankly regarded Uncle-Dog as the greatest invention to come out of the war. It consisted of a pair of VHF antennae side by side on the 51 's aft fuselage, tuned one-quarter wavelength apart. Whichever antenna got a signal first would transmit to the pilot's earphones and suppress the other signal. The right-hand antenna gave a Morse Code letter U (dit-dit-dah) "Uncle from the phonetic alphabet. The left-hand antenna gave the letter D "Dog" (dah-dit-dit). The pilot then turned in the appropriate direction and refined the heading by watching his compass. When both signals were received simultaneously the pilot heard a steady hum, which meant he was on course for base or for the transmitting aircraft.

Doesn't say anything about another radio. I see there's a Ospry book on the VLR Mustang. Guess I'm going shopping. :mpup

The radio is probably the one marked not for use. The battery was relocated to the engine compartment and Tamiya already has the scoop there, the antennas you know about. The drop tanks could be the 110 gallon ones which no one makes or the 165 gallon P-38 style perhaps from a Trumpeter kit?

The P-51 SIG has some TM illustrations of the battery relocation here.

Regards,

Thanks again for your help Saul, getting obsessed with this engine but after seeing Mo's and John's builds I can see how much or little that's going to be seen.

P51D026.jpg

Adding Fuel, Oil, coolant and electrical plumbing or as close as I can. Really just giving a representation of it. Tamiya has supplied some major plumbing lines but they come into play when we close up the fuselage later on.

P51D027.jpg

I stole a jerry can fill cap from 1:35 stowage for the hydraulic tank.

P51D028.jpg

Added solder for extra plumbing coming off the tank.

P51D029.jpg

Added lines for the oil pump.

P51D030.jpg

Now I hope I can put this down and move on to the cockpit and see what's next for this little gem.

MOONIE,

Cool lookin Detail ! I see those Spark Plugs ! How did you paint - Champion on th side of 'em like that ? Great Lookin Engine !!

:popcorn :drinks

Didn't paint it Erik...etched it..it's just too small to see....

Disclaimer, I'm kidding about that, there is no champion on the spark plugs..

I really like your engine Moon. Shame the front is not open like the Spitfire to show off everything.

what a lovely engine! if the rest of the model gets as much attention, the final result will be nothing less than spectacular!

I sprayed the engine with Alclad Klear product, it's their glossy clear coat that just came out. Really hard clear coat, read someone do a review on it and said they would never use future again. Went over it with Migs Dark wash and i'll let that setting a while before cleaning it up.

Moved on into the cockpit, whoever said you don't need aftermarket was sadly mistaken, some half round knobs, like the Bomb Release lever. some of the stuff could be a little over thick and would benefit from aftermarket. Don't get me wrong, the parts look good and will look good OOB. But I can't leave it alone. There's always something more that can be done.

The IP is nice but I'm not sure about the decal behind the clear IP, they seem to far recessed. But the IPs themselves are interesting, they are slightly opaque, I painted the back of the IP black so the dials stand out better now.

P51D031.jpg

The convex dials really sort of magnifies the decals. Neat effect.

The kit seat and armor plate backing looks ok, the seat is suppose to ride on two spring loaded rods. Tamiya represented this with just to half round sliders..that had to go. Drawing on Jerry Rutman's treatment of his resin cockpit for the Dragon kit, I took a .5mm rod and wrappped solder around it making it look like a spring, sorry I didn't get a picture of the kit part before chopping it up.

P51D032.jpg

so here's my treatment.

P51D033.jpg

Here's the kit seat.

P51D034.jpg

Here's Jerry Rutman's set. Rutman's seat looks a bit shorter than the kit one, I'm not going to bother trying to find out which is right, far as I know, both are. The kit cushion is just square and blah, Jerry's has character. I want to use this seat so I gotta hit Jerry up for another seat for the Dragon kit that I intend to finish soon.

Thanks for looking! hope you like it. :pilot

Back