• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

STARFIGHTERS!!!! a buildalong

So Alex doesn't feel abandoned by fellow Zipper builders.

Start~9.JPG

Plans are to build a 479[sup]th[/sup] TFW F-104C during their deployment between Apr-Nov 1965.

After few hours building and priming on Friday night.

Day_1.JPG

Cheers,
Rich

Nice one Rich Reminded me to take some progress pics.

h698b887.JPG

h044d0b0.JPG

All NMF done and masked off for second and third color. Was not happy with color callouts so I found a picture of the real thing online

h3f16e75.jpg

Got some paint on the sub-assemblies.

The cockpit tub.

Ckpt_1~3.JPG

Ckpt_2~3.JPG

The instrument panel. Unfortunately, Italeri does not include any instrument faces, either as decals or raised surfaces. I have some Airscale Early Jet Instrument decals on order to rectify the deficiency. I added 4 emergency handles (2 yellow and 1 red at the top of the lower panel and the yellow on the lower right side) and the Landing Gear handle on the far left side.

Instr_Pnl.JPG

The main landing gear. I didn't much extra detail to the bay as most of it will not be seen once the main doors are installed. The brake lines were added that run along the upper surface of the gear legs. Tie down rings were added, that unfortunately can't bee seen in the photos.

Main_Gear_1.JPG

Main_Gear_2.JPG

Main_Gear_3.JPG

Construction will slow down while I wait for the instrument decals and can close up the fuselage. Until then, I'll be hopping around the instructions building/painting what sub-assemblies I can.

Cheers,
Rich

Alex,
Great job.
The figures and scooters add to it.

Rich,
Keep the update pictures coming.
Looking good
Frank
:popcorn :notworthy

Your models are coming along nicely Rich and Dave.

Dave, that is a pretty cool device you have for holding the plane. Is that something you came up with or is it something a company produces? I have put off doing any aircraft for years because I remember the one plane I built as a kid ended up having all kinds of finger prints and gaps in the joining of the fuselage. Then when I tried painting it, I held it by hand and that ended up messing up the model. The device you are using looks pretty handy.

Can't wait to see the finished models.

Cheers,
James

Thanks guys.

Pressing on with the seat. This is the Eduard Brassin resin seat. The holes along the guide rails were lightly flashed over and were opened up with a drill bit.The only PE added at this point are the foot rests. With the basic seat painted I can add the PE handles and seat belts.

Seat_1~1.JPG

Seat_2~0.JPG

Seat_3~0.JPG

Seat_4~0.JPG

Added the PE details and seat belts to the seat. Everything was pre-finished but the silk screening on the belts peeled off when you tried to bend them. So I ended up painting, washing and dry-brushing them once they were installed.

Seat_5~0.JPG

Seat_6.JPG

And the seat installed in its new home.

Ckpt3.JPG

Ckpt4.JPG

Ckpt5.JPG

Cheers,
Rich

That seat really looks good Rich! :notworthy

I have always wondered if the printing on the seatbelts would peel or chip off with bending them. :hmmm While I have not had any problems so far with bending the printed parts (knock, knock, knock :bang head) it has always been in the back of my mind when working with those parts. You just confirmed that there can indeed be an issue with the seat belts.

Nice looking stuff, the lot.

Rich, watch out for the flaps because they are gappy between the fuse and their spot on the wing. Real gappy.

I noticed that on your build. I'll have to go take a look at one of CF104's on a stick we have here to see how much and were there should be a gap.

Cheers,
Rich

Back