• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

STARFIGHTERS!!!! a buildalong

Bare Metal Foil, it's a very thin foil product that comes with adhesive already applied. I put a small application on my Jug I just did but there are some who cover the entire build with it. Looks great when done right.

Check this out

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/blog/plasitc-model-kits-how-tos/foiling-plastic-and-resin-model-kits-for-realism-by-ken-friend/

:coolio

That is very cool, thanks! I will look into it. Perhaps a great alternative for some metal birds, since I cannot use alclad.

Thanks again bob!

Hey I am enjoying this thred! But it begs a pair (+1) of questions:

1 - is this part of the "Charlie Don't Sure" campaign, as it is placed?

2 - Does building one in BMF earn the earlier mentioned ribbon?

3 - if "yes" to 1 & 2, then by building a BMF Starfighter do you earn 2 ribbons?

h2855625_2017-07-25.jpg

Hey I am enjoying this thred! But it begs a pair (+1) of questions:

1 - is this part of the "Charlie Don't Sure" campaign, as it is placed?

2 - Does building one in BMF earn the earlier mentioned ribbon?

3 - if "yes" to 1 & 2, then by building a BMF Starfighter do you earn 2 ribbons?

1. Yes

2. No

3. No

Hey Dave

No, I just found that box on the Internet. I only had this Starfighter from Italeri I guess late 90's.

In any case, I am soldiering along since I have way too many Projects that Need finishing this year. Here is the bird all assembled and ready to be painted.

I am thinking I should put it together with an F-105G Wild Weasel which has just been sitting in my stash waiting to be assembled. Why not?

Cheers

Alex

h7242d55.JPG

h6c01c48.JPG

ha1a65cc.JPG

hc3200fe.JPG

h4b0912a.JPG
Great progress so far Alex Got mine all sown up and painted will do pictures tonight to prove it :D

One thing to remember about bare metal finishes Alex is that you really have to spend some time getting the surface perfect. Spend some time with super fine sandpaper going over the surface getting it clean and smooth. Patience is the key here because everything shows like it has a spotlight on it. Even paint strokes under the finish show up.

Clean it all up with 600 grit then go to 4000 grit and higher. Wet sanding being the key. Hope that helps.

Thank you Guys!

I will definitely try it, Paul and Bob. I am not sure about the sanding Thing. You know how hard it is for me. This summer has been particularly bad. I guess I will get some "easy model" to try and see where it goes. Most definitely would be an Advantage not having to use paint. Even the smell has been unconfortable recently... We'll see.

I bet the Starfighter would look great in BMF.

In any case, this one has the full range of Vietnam Paints. This Vallejo acrylics are indeed very good, they had a Special set only for Vietnam birds and they were spot on.

Dave, what are you using for paints?

In any case, here is the actual stand. I have been doing some work on the Fokkers as well, so it is going slowly. I guess I did manage to get that strafed look, as the Picture below Shows.

Cheers everyone

P.S. Bob I loved your laconic answers. Almost a binary answer if not for the numbers!

h52c019e.JPG

hb5f90ca.JPG

h89f2020.JPG

hfcd4df7.JPG

hf9088b2.JPG

h209d883.JPG

Hey everyone

Sorry I have been absent. Lots of work and bad allergies, couldn't get near the bench.

I have completed the Starfighter, Again not the best but interesting to learn.

Set it up in a base with some CMK Vietnam pilots and a few extras. I hope you like it.

Cheers

Alex

h0b1d218.JPG

h66f4af6.JPG

h3be523d.JPG

h8e9efdf.JPG

hb3ea6e2.JPG

h5c024ab.JPG

h0873612.JPG

h3f34dc7.JPG

h997b0ad.JPG

Hang in there Doc. It seem that everyone here has suffered from allergies this year . No matter where we are.

The scooters make for an interesting touch.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thank you so much guys. I really appreciate it. I don't think it turned out as I wanted, but I guess in the Diorama it Looks ok.

The scooters are from Marklin, easy to get HO figures since everyone is crazy about Trains here in Germany. Just wait to see the Diorama I am preparing for a few Bf. 109s...

I think that the Diorama Looks a bit empty so I am getting a Thunderchief done next. I will post it here as soon as I get started.

Thanks again all of you. it means a lot to me!

Cheers

Alex

Back