• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Simpatico, A Miniature Mansion for my daughter

Re:Something really different Update July 1, 2010

Bob..... I really like the progress you've made. It's going to be another SuperDiorama.

And....oh, by the way, does anyone out there have a fairly modern 1/32nd kit of a Mercedes, BMW, or anything like this that Bob can put out front of the house in this diorama?? (just thought I'd ask for you Bob)

Wes

Re:Something really different Update July 1, 2010

Wes, Thanks for the promo!

I am in dire straits! And you know it!

Alright, pretty please, is that what you want to hear? Email me!

BTW, wait till you see the next posting! Made some major progress today! If you send the email, I'll give you an advance preview!

Bob, (Poppy) Yeah, whatever!

Re:Something really different Update July 5, 2010

Over friday through sunday, I made some good progress! The best thing is, I believe I have captured the feel of the real building. Once that is accomplished, the details become the important facet of the build.

CIMG1636.jpg

All the sheet stone is veneered onto the matt board. Soon, I will be taking a week or so to add the irregular protruding stones from Milliput like I did on the fireplace. It's gonna be a little boring and certainly a no brainer, but after the painting and weathering, all that will go a long way to create the look of the real building..

CIMG1637-1.jpg

I want to get the roof base cut to fit for the main gable near the front center (Below). Note the dormers on the right extension. There are also 4 large dormers on the rear center portion of the building.

CIMG1638.jpg

I still have two more sections of open timbered gables to build. One is directly below.

CIMG1639.jpg

he gap between the two sheets of stone will be covered with a patina brass roof over the bay window.

CIMG1640.jpg

The gap between the two sheets of stone will be covered with a patina brass roof over the bay window.

CIMG1640.jpg

You will note the fireplace is off the ground. When complete, that will be underneath the paper mache' dirt in the planter box.

CIMG1641.jpg

A closer shot!

CIMG1637.jpg

Bob

WOW...it's really getting there, isn't it? Hope I get out to see it soon.

Wes

Bob,

I have a started Fujimi 1972 Porsche 911. Only the engine was touched. It was to be a model of my first car... however, the real one was re-engined with a Volkswagen boxer engine and I did not have a model of that to swap it.

If you want it, it is yours. I can provide photos of it.

Regards,

Saul,

That will work! I have had two of those honeys. I want to pay for it! I will email you and we can talk about it!

Bless you! Bob

Wes2010 wrote:
WOW...it's really getting there, isn't it? Hope I get out to see it soon.

Wes

Hey Weskozonski! Whenever you want!
:dude :dude :dude

Bob

Doh!

1/32nd scale... the kit I have (which would be yours at no charge) is 1/24th. Let me look and see if I have something else which is suitable as I collect cars for my aircraft models. Some are die-cast though so not what you would want detail wise.

Sorry for the mis-placed glimmer of hope. :(

I will post the results when I complete my search.

Regards,

Looking superb . Poor Sue was wondering where all her dress making pins had gone .... I'm telling :pp

Jenny :kiss:

Don't tell till he's done or I can send some more!

Hey Poppy, I notice the way you're doing the gables, I like that. It looks to be easier to get consistent alignment and portions instead of building 3-4 gables and then fitting them in place one at a time.

moon puppy wrote:
Hey Poppy, I notice the way you're doing the gables, I like that. It looks to be easier to get consistent alignment and portions instead of building 3-4 gables and then fitting them in place one at a time.

And it's pretty similar to how we do it in 1:1 scale, build the gable wall on the 'deck' stand it up, spike it, add the ridge and then fill in the rafters.

(y)

Excellent work Bob!

brilliant work bob! you make it look so easy but still i'm quite nervous to start with my try to work with your technique ... nervous and excited!

keep up the inspiration!

sharkmouth wrote:
Doh!

1/32nd scale... the kit I have (which would be yours at no charge) is 1/24th. Let me look and see if I have something else which is suitable as I collect cars for my aircraft models. Some are die-cast though so not what you would want detail wise.

Sorry for the mis-placed glimmer of hope. :(

I will post the results when I complete my search.

Regards,

Hey Saul,

That's OK. I actually did the same thing myself last week. I was going through my stash and found the perfect car, go all excited and when I took it out to the mansion, realized it was 1/25th!

I have time, I'll find something! Thanks for thinking of me anyway!

Bob

jenny croft wrote:
Looking superb . Poor Sue was wondering where all her dress making pins had gone .... I'm telling :pp

Thanks Jenny! Are you kidding, Susan was the original liberated woman. She can't even sew a button on, much less make a dress! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

moon puppy wrote:
Don't tell till he's done or I can send some more!

Not to worry MP, those are Poppy's pins! (y) (y) (y)

About the gables, That's how I have always done them :idonno :idonno :idonno :idonno :idonno

Bob

Ken Abrams wrote:
moon puppy wrote:

And it's pretty similar to how we do it in 1:1 scale, build the gable wall on the 'deck' stand it up, spike it, add the ridge and then fill in the rafters.

(y)

Excellent work Bob!

Ken,

Thanks! So that's the way they do it in 1:1 scale? I didn't know that? It just seemed logical to do it that way!

Bob

Kreighshoer wrote:
brilliant work bob! you make it look so easy but still i'm quite nervous to start with my try to work with your technique ... nervous and excited!

keep up the inspiration!

Thanks Laura,

That will really be interesting to me for you to try this system. I've been using this now for around 40 years and never saw a single person build one. Maybe they have, but I've never seen one!

BTW, thanks for the tips on the 1/32 cars!

Bob

Dioramix wrote:
Master Bob - great work from the photos to the this "raw" building. Your card box technology is awesome. (y) :notworthy

Thanks johnny,

I remember back in the winter of 1970. I had previously only built model kits at the time. I read an article in a model mag that showed a very crude diorama. I didn't think it was good at all, but the idea interested me, so I set out. I tried wood, as the author did, didn't like it, then marine foam, I didn't like it because when I sprayed it with Floquil lacquer, it melted. Then I built a frame out of corrugated cardboard. It was easy to work with but it was weak and subject to warping. It also didn't handle wet plaster at all.

I had made some displays for a function and had left over matt board. When I veneered it to the corrugated cardboard, it was amazingly strong, didn't warp and could take plaster and other mediums and not shrivel or warp. In the last 40 years, I have tweaked it time and again. People are always giving me a new material to try, but, as they say, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks"!

Bob

Dioramix wrote:
Bob, thanks a lot for your explanation. I am an old dog too, but I will give it a try.

Our buildings we make from foam, sheet and wooden strips or we take plaster. We are satisfied with our buildings, but we will reach borders, when we make the Munich diorama with the part of the "Palace of Justice". Your technique has also the advantage of less weight.

Johnny, Let an "OLd Dog" give you some advice! If you have a system and it works, stay with it. The reason is I have heard people say a thousand time, "I am going to use your system to build this or that!"

I've never seen anybody do that so far. Now, Laura says she will and I'll help her or you anyway I can. I have always been of the school that says if you have a good system and it works, stick with it!

Bob

p.s. I am anxiously awaiting your group to begin the Munchen, (Munich), build. If I lived there, I would definitely want to be a part of that!!

Re:Something really different Update July 8, 2010

I have been fooling around with some things. Electrical and paint matching. Not anything major, but I will throw it up here and you can see what you think! I needed two large coachlights for the rear of the building. I found some approximately the right size and style in a Miniart kit. The problem is, I am lighting this one up and the styrene in the Miniart kit wouldn't take the heat from the miniature grain of wheat bulbs! So, I took a Post light I picked up in a train shop, almost exactly the same size, cut the pole with a razor saw very carefully and then cut a hole in the rear of the light to run the electrical cords from. Then I used the bracket from the Miniart kit, used a dress pin as the ball on the bottom of the sconce and Viola!!

CIMG1646.jpg

CIMG1647.jpg

CIMG1648.jpg

CIMG1650.jpg

All it needs is some flat black paint!

I have been doing all the open timber gables and wanted to make sure I could match the colors involved.

I ended up using Testors 4606 acrylic Raw Umber for the chocolate brown Timbers, then I found two colors which are a dead match BTW, Humbrol matt 103 and Vallejo 976 Buff for the interior flat areas.

CIMG1653.jpg

CIMG1652.jpg

CIMG1651.jpg

Onwards and upwards!! Bob

Ah well I was toying with the idea of lighting my Amtank interior , now I know that it would have melted :) . This has all stops pulled out and you are motoring through it !

Hi Bob,

A quick couple of questions, and I apologise if you mentioned this in the above text but despite my searching the answer I've not found it.

1. What wood are you using for the gables? It looks like balsa to me.
2. And did you need to seal the wood prior to applying the Testors paints?

I'm just loving this SBS, I've gained so many tips from it already :) (Now if only I can find some benchtime to try them out :laugh: )

Rudi

Back