• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Simpatico, A Miniature Mansion for my daughter

Re:Something really different in more ways than one.

Thanks Ant and Jaymes,

It will be something new for me as well!

I went shopping today for materials and really, really lucked out! I'll be posting some progress shots in the next day or two!

It will have to be done in 1/32nd to get it on the 8 square feet I have to put it on. That is one HUGE home!

Bob

I spent Saturday getting the basics up and working out the dimensions. Used a calculator more than anything else. It is difficult working from photographs, but I did pace it off from the east and north sidewalks to get the rough size of the real structure. As I scaled down, I used percentages to arrive at the various dimensions. measuring the dimensions on the photograph, arriving at the percentages of difference between two dimensions on the photo, I then use those same percentages when creating the dimensions for the model. The more percentages of difference you accrue, the better the model will have very similar dimensions in scale. Does that make sense to anybody else? Comparing the corrugated cardboard frame to the actual photos, I believe I got the dimensions pretty close. It scaled out to be between 1/32 and 1/30th. I had originally intended to include the tennis courts and the detached 6 car garage w/servants quarters above. I will barely be able to give their impression in the finished diorama.

Here is a shot from the right side, I left the Coke can in the photo to give the viewer a sense of the size.

CIMG1575.jpg

Here is a left side shot.

CIMG1574.jpg

A front oblique shot from the left.

CIMG1573.jpg

And from the right oblique.

CIMG1572.jpg

For comparison.

CIMG1498.jpg

The next steps will be creating mattboard veneers, That will give the model strength and then make interior bracing with corrugated cardboard to keep it true and square. After all that is completed, the fun part begins. Building the brick and stone walls as well as the open timber ones, the roof shingles, window frames and fireplace chimneys and so on. The model building itself with be 27 inches wide, (685.8 mm). The main building being roughly 80 feet wide, (about 25 meters)

Bob

This is a real treat seeing you work, and how you work things out.

Hey Junior,

If you like it, then I'll keep on keepin' on! I don't need much, just a little!

Bob senior!

Thanks Laura and MP!

I actually worked on it Sunday and Monday. The truth is I rebuilt the same damned extension five times. The problem was the lower extension on the right of the main building that looks really simple, but it isn't! As I scan the building with google,

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=eN&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS239&=&q=1301%20pickwick%20springfield%20mo&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

the side extension on your right when looking at it seems symmetrical to the eye, but it really isn't. It is an illusion. The front is much shorter than the main building, but the rear isn't. The height of the entire structure on the back side is identical throughout. The architect used a 3 foot block of stones to fool the eye. I have developed a lot of respect for the architect at this point.

I kept building and building and still couldn't make the dimensions work. Then I used the google search that my daughter Gail sent me and suddenly, Viola! There it was. I will hopefully post some new photos of the progress soon.

I'm not complaining, but it isn't easy working from photographs to create an accurate representation.

It is a good thing that Gail is following this build, otherwise I may have built this damned extension several more times!

Bob

Hi, Poppy :)

I'm immensely enjoying watching this take shape. I've loved this house for years and Terri and I have driven by it many times just to take it in. There are bigger and fancier houses, but there's just something about this one; I know you know what I mean. I didn't realize all that went into modeling and dioramas but am beginning...just beginning...to get an inkling. That you're going to so much trouble and effort for me...I am very touched by that and humbled, as well. I hope to make you as happy and proud, Poppy, as you have made me.

Love, BG

Thanks Sweetheart,

Although I am really inexperienced at being a dad, It struck me that this is the kind of things dads are supposed to do. If I had known you earlier, I would have built you a super doll house. I didn't, so this is the next best thing! I hope to have something more to post this evening. Sometimes things go together like clockwork, and sometimes they don't!

Pop

I got a bit done the last couple of days. I was only able to buy a few sheets of siding materials. I ordered more and they came in today. This is the front entry, I gave it a veneer of matt board.

CIMG1578.jpg

Then the chimney, it has the matt board and the beginning of the stones. The sheet isn't identical to the house but close enough when I add several Milliput larger stones at random and give each stone a bit of texture by stipling with filler. A triangular strip of balsa provided the gradient stone and then coated it with artists modeling paste. When sanded and painted, it will have the texture of stone.

CIMG1580.jpg

Then, as I will do with all windows and doorways, I use 1/8th inch strips of matt board to frame the openings in this unit. I use Elmer's white glue for the veneering. Next, I will give this a coat of artist's past, sand and lay in the stones.

CIMG1583.jpg

CIMG1584.jpg

I had found some really realistic stucco sheets for the open timbered parts, and applied it the the main gable. Later, I will make a balsa grid that will be painted earth brown. The stucco will get an off yellow color finish to match the house. Here it is assembled. I have added the back wall and laid a sheet of the roofing shingles over two gables.

CIMG1585.jpg

Another angle.

CIMG1586.jpg

The front view.

CIMG1587.jpg

And a view from above.

CIMG1588.jpg
]

That's it for now, more later.

Bob

Re:Something really different Update June 17

OK, I Got some more done today. I am putting more matt board veneer and cut the chevron area from brick sheet and applied it over the matt board second floor that I made today.

CIMG1589.jpg

CIMG1590.jpg

CIMG1591.jpg

I am posting this again for comparison purposes. Once I have all the white stone in place, then I will enhance it using several techniques.

CIMG1498_copy_2.jpg

I should be able to get quite a bit more done over the weekend.

Bob

Re:Something really different Update June 17

Get more done, please do! This is really taking shape, love it.

Awesome project, Bob.
And now that you've begun to think outside the box, Karen and I would love to add a deck to the patio. When can you start?
Randy

Well this explains the lack of emails ;)

This is an amazing work Bob , you are the master of architecture :)

Jenny :kiss:

I've been getting emails, and the guys at work appreciate it also... ;)

Re:Something really different Update June 17, 2010

Thanks all, MP, Saul, Randy and Jenny!

It is coming along, but slower than I would like. Every time I look at the photographs and make comparisons, I notice errors that I will have to fix. I have never worked from a photograph before, always used my imagination. This is tougher than I had imagined!

Regardless, onward and upward, it's for a good cause!

I'll pop you an email right now Jenny!

MP, those emails have been really few and far between lately????? Sad, but true! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Inside joke folks!

Bob

Re:Something really different Update June 19, 2010

I managed to get in several hours on both Friday and Saturday. Here are some shots taken over both days.

CIMG1592.jpg

CIMG1593.jpg

CIMG1595.jpg

CIMG1595.jpg

Here is a detail shot of the main gable. Note the stucco look behind the balsa open timbers and the attic vent.

CIMG1596.jpg

If you look closely you can see the chevron brick pattern here. After painting and weathering these will stand out. Also the base for the first floor entry roof. The roofing pattern will be added shortly.

CIMG1597.jpg

The first floor entry. The entry itself is smooth stone, surrounded later with the grey stone most of the building has for an exterior.

CIMG1598.jpg

CIMG1599.jpg

Matt board has been added to all front and side walls, later to be veneered with the stones.

CIMG1601.jpg

CIMG1602.jpg

CIMG1603.jpg

CIMG1606.jpg

CIMG1605.jpg

CIMG1604.jpg

CIMG1600.jpg

So much till next time!

Bob

I can only imagine the doll house you would have made!

Really nice work. Is the current owner of the real home even aware of this model?

Regards,

No Saul, they aren't!

I think these people are so wealthy, if I told them, they would probably think it was some kind of con, and call the cops! Seriously!

Susan was worried they would when I was scoping out the place!

I mean I wouldn't mind if they knew, I just don't want to be the one who tells them.

A local modeler has emailed me and said the owners were the heads of a huge hospital complex with several locations throughout the region.

Bob

But you know all the cops so wouldn't they just laugh?

I think I would keep it low key from the owners. They may know lawyers.

I'm lovin' the construction phase Pop, looks great.

Back