• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Scrap Heap Cuban M4A3 (76) HVSS

Re: Scrap Heap Cuban M4A3E8

My wife tolerates long nights at the bench as, in her words, "I'd rather have you sitting at the breakfast bar building a model, than sitting in a bar hitting on one".

G

HA ! :ro: That's a Great Philosophy !! I think My wife & your wife aughta' go Bowling & let th 2 Talk. See if your Wife can get that point across !

SAUL,

Cool stuff ! I look forward to seeing this Roll on !! Do you Dig on Charlie Parker or Miles Davis ?

ERIK

While looking in the Sherman parts bin, a really old one, I came across these PE frets:
M4A3E8_Scrap_025.JPG

Top Brass, Verlinden Productions, and On The Mark Models... vintage stuff but perfectly usable!

M4A3E8_Scrap_026.JPG

These detail sets for the Dragon kits meant that the relevant kit parts are now available for this build.
:side:

Since the new TigerModels M4A3 (76) upper hull released the Tasca kit, the trickle down came to using a Dragon upper hull for this build.

M4A3E8_Scrap_024.JPG

Note the notching in the open engine area needed to have a good fit with the Tamiya rear engine wall. So far, I have added the engine deck pates and hatches and am adding missing details. Track grouser storage covers have already been removed in this photograph.

I was also informed of the following in response to my TigerModels 76mm Mantlet review on Track-Link:

"Point taken and I am on it. The Dragon mantlet is in the works now. We will have three new and improved 76mm turrets very soon. Yes these as with the new 75mm turrets will be able to be placed on the Dragon kits with an adapter made to make them fit the dragon turret race hole. Karl."

Karl van Sweden is one of the pattern maker for TigerModels and LionMarc Model Designs. He has mastered many of the recently released Sherman products from TigerModels.

This means that my work will be redundant as I will get these turrets and release the Tasca items to the Dragon and the Dragon turrets would be available. One thing though, most people are not aware the the Tasca oval loader's hatch in their M4A3E8 (76mm) kit is too large. This has been corrected in the replacement turret.

Regards,

Cool update Saul. Its amazing how these things changed over time. I dont know how you keep up. (y) (y)
James

I just spent tonight poring over some photographs to decide which turret production foundry to replicate. I finally decided (since I will use the Archer Fine Transfers casting marks) and filed the rear of the turret around the antenna openings. The antenna inserts are far too small! So, I need to make new ones.

The oval hatch from the newer Dragon kit is identical in size and shape to the older kit so the fit is not an issue. I need to have it open so I must add the pad.

The upper hull received new grab handles and seep holes. Still need to extend the fuel armor and redo all the welds. The casting marks are bogus! Will need to cut them off and replace with the Archer items. The turret race is too narrow and will need work so as to be able to use the Frankenturret.

Boring stuff so no photographs yet.

Regards,

Photographs coming, maybe not tonight as I am in the mood to Pee for Hundred.

Regards,

Hello Saul, Just wanted to let you know how much I appreicate this thread! Going to build a couple of Shermans down the line and this kind of info will really help!! Great job.

Randy

:laugh: Sherman madnesss, madnessssssss, hahahahaa:woohoo:

I love it though. Such a lot of work Saul but very intereting. I can't think of a more complicated line of vehicles than the shermans. So many detail variations from different manufacturers per theatre of operations. I will be picking up some TASCA lovin';) at the model expo here in Melbourne in June.
Keep up the great work - I'm learning heaps!

Ian.

After some frustrating hours on the P-400, I return to my Cubano armed with this:
21AR88054.JPG

Some music to go with it:
Tito Puente's Dance Mania Mambo from 1958.

Some background on the musician. Tito Puente is of Puerto Rican parents and served three years in the US Navy during WWII. He was discharged with a Presidential Commendation for serving in nine battles. The GI Bill allowed him to study music at Juilliard School of Music, where he completed a formal education in conducting, orchestration and theory. In 1969, he received the key to the City of New York from former Mayor John Lindsay. In 1992 he was inducted into the National Congressional Record, and in 1993 he received the James Smithson Bicentennial Medal from the Smithsonian.

While not a Cuban, he did have Cuban influences and he, in turn, influenced many Cuban musicians. A quick look at the Puerto Rican and Cuban flags does mark the similarities in many ways.

If you wish to learn more about Tito, click on his timbales to go to the Wikipedia biography:

Regards,

Very neat stuff. I've never used the raised detail stuff, does it go on like a decal?
James

I've never used the raised detail stuff, does it go on like a decal?
James

James, it is a decal with resin instead of ink. Apply just like a decal but it goes under paint so silvering is not a problem!
(y)

I will try to post a simple SBS on it in this thread. I plan to use Future to help it adhere, MicroSol to make it pliant and hide the edge. Then primer to see the result.

Regards,

Sorry folks,

I was about to start when a snickering sound was heard behind me. I went and tamed the resin wheel well from the P-400. I will work on the decals tonight.

Yes, late at night I hear voices:

Regards,

Impressive work, Saul. Your dedication and patience is way beyond mine!

Rick

Sure Rick, after your fabulous work on the KOed Jagdpanzer 38 it is hard to believe! I might call you on the telephone soon.
;)

Thanks!
:D

Regards,

Back