• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Scrap Heap Cuban M4A3 (76) HVSS

Re: Scrap Heap Cuban M4A3E8

the track on the right side - backwards and forward.

You had to catch that, eh?
:pinch: :hmmm

I guess it better be individual track links then to replicate that... just too cool to ignore.
:ro:

Regards,

I just got word that I will be receiving Tigermodels M4A3 upper hull for review. Don't mind the Late Radial Engine deck as the hull will have the proper grills included.
TM_M4A3_for_Tasca.jpg

It is designed for the Tasca kit so the Tasca upper hull comes down the line freeing up a Dragon upper hull. I will wait until the resin upper hull is in my hands before making the switch and will continue working on the Tamiya lower hull.

Enough text, time to go and take some photos...

Regards,

Now that would look really cool, tracks in all directions :woohoo: :hmmm .
Like those Cuban decals/markings, especially the T-55 color schemes. You don't see too many models representing the Cuban army. Verrry interesting.

Rob

www.scratchmod.com

This is very cool. I really like the idea of the marker. Will have to try the tape. It looks like you flood the area with glue?? Or is that a thin bead squashed flat with the tape? Thanks for the hints and tips Saul. Neat to see someone who know what they are doing, doing it :laugh:
James

I do flood it. It is a bead that I spread with a 'scraper' made from the top of coffee cans (that polyethylene plastic which nothing sticks to). The tape is then used to flatten it further and make it easier to sand.

I will demonstrate the technique several times more in my other builds. I also use cyano-acrylate glue to build up damaged areas like chips on edges.

Regards,

Like those Cuban decals/markings, especially the T-55 color schemes.

Rob,

Not many instances of derelict Cuban T-55s. The few photographs I saw of them in Angola (they used both the T-55 and T-62 with the Angolans only using the latter) were unmarked.

Regards,

Someone needs to tell those Cubans that there's no way that tank is going to win any awards at the AMPS show because of those tracks. They just don't put tracks on wrong like that in the real world.

Working on the hull starts by sanding off everything. Since I had super-glued one of Formations Models' excellent radial engine belly plates, this had to be removed carefully. The dried and fully cured cyano-acrylate glue was super hard and I gouged the plastic in a few places when removing.

M4A3E8_Scrap_001%7E0.JPG

I had covered the belly plate plate in blue marker and sanded it. I then went over the low points with red marker and added drops of cyano-acrylate glue over each gouge.

M4A3E8_Scrap_002%7E0.JPG

Here I have added the cellophane packing tape and wiped off any oozing cyano-acrylate glue from the edges (which also were covered with blue marker).

Now, to wait one hour for the glue to harden slightly before sanding and adding the gas engine belly details.

:Hiay

Regards,

Sharp work Saul. I'm guessing the repair spots were not going to be covered by the parts you'll be adding?

Nope, plus I need to chamfer the edges where the HVSS roadwheels would rub otherwise.

Regards,

Hey Saul,

Quite the clinic you're presenting here - really nice work. I'm thinking that I should go buy some CA stock real soon!

Rick

I'm thinking that I should go buy some CA stock real soon!

The way I use it, I need to buy more stock... in the company!

:eek:

Regards and thanks! I hope to try some of your techniques on this one since it is monotone.

Regards,

I haven't forgotten this model, simply learning to use the new camera.

M4A3E8_Scrap_003%7E0.JPG

Not much progress but at least not stagnant.

Cheers,

A Cuban Shermi! ... such interesting!

Nice step by step .. Í will follow this post with great interest! Thanks for sharing with us.

Is that an Italeri piece? I like the cast #s you added.

Good eye Jeff!

Gracias José...

The rear ventilator armor as well as the gunner's sight are from a scrap Italeri M4A1 76mm armed turret. Both items are superior to the Dragon pieces from the early kit 9009.

Regards,

I have not forgotten this build, Real Life is just getting in the way.

I needed to work on the back plate to remove the VVSS idler mounts to replace them with the proper HVSS mounts. While at it, I drilled out the towing lugs, scribed around the engine hatch, drilled out the mount for the handle, removed one bolt for interest, and added hinge detail to the hatch.

M4A3E8_Scrap_019.JPG

One side is done, now cutting the other VVSS mount away...

M4A3E8_Scrap_018%7E0.JPG

Cutting the other side. It is now done and cemented to the hull tub.

Tiny progress but progress nonetheless.

Regards,

Great read and how to !!!

I'm very interested in this version and enjoy the build , keep goin man .

This is quite interesting to see some of the major surgery techniques you use. Learning something with every update. Thanks Saul (y) (y)
James

Back