• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Moon Puppy's 75mm GMC M3 Halftrack

Thanks for the feedback and comments. I gotta say. When I got all these pieces dry fitted into place I did step back and gave myself a "atta boy". I really liked how this turned out, hope you do as well.

Sorry for the bad picture, should have turned the flash off.

GMC223.jpg

Here are the parts. I cut the kit part large spring from the connector rod that attaches to the idler. Just like Ken did, but I drilled a hole in the center and glued a .5mm rod for a guide. Then took either a .8 or 1.mm rod and wrapped solder around it, tight. Took some thin brass sheet and punched out a washer for the end of the spring. Then I took a 1.5mm bass pipe and soldered a .8 rod to use as a collar to attach to the mount point on the chassis. Hope this makes sense. Yes, all this could be done in plastic, I like working with solder and brass. I don't know why...

GMC217.jpg

And here we are all together.

GMC218.jpg

ugly picture!

GMC219.jpg

The mount point on the other side did not come out as well as this one so I'm going to work on it again. I think I can do it again no problem. Besides it'll be covered with some mud when done so not biggy.

GMC220.jpg

I may throw a bolt head to the end of the spring cylinder just to give it something else there at the open end.

And here are the springs on the de-ditching roller.
GMC221.jpg

I like the right hand side better so all future pictures will be from the good side... ;)
GMC222.jpg

Thanks for looking, let me know what you think (other than me being nuts).

Well Moon Pup, other than being crazier than a one armed paper-hanger with a case of hives you are doing a kick a$$ build! The attention to the small details is going to pay off in the end.

Tom

How many ball point pens have you killed? :mpup Just kidding! Looks awesome, Bob! Top shelf or should we start calling Moon Pupsan?

That's almost sacrilege to compare me with Wantanbe -san. Maybe if we say his name three times he'll show up.

Dudes, I tell ya, I got sense of accomplishment tonight, like I use to get when doing the Lion's Roar HT, Did the other idler this evening. BAMN! Pictures later.

I didn't realize Duel in the Sun ended on June30. Oh well...I never was going to make this one.

Moon Puppy,
(in my best Darth Vader voice)
Again, welcome to the dark side. :evil: :woohoo: :laugh: ;)
You've got a great build going here. I'll be following it as best
I can... Shawn

jose luis lopez wrote:
You´re really doing an excellent work with the lower part ...

Thanks Jose, I think it's pretty much done on the bottom side. Now the question is, do I bother to remove the tread plate in the front cab or just go with the kit surface. I mean really, down in that dark cab, will it be seen, appreciated?

I've got some pics my brother took at a vehicle restorers' meet in Michigan a couple of weeks ago- some stuff you may find useful. I'll make up a feature this weekend- stay tuned!

Back