• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Moon Puppy's 75mm GMC M3 Halftrack

In Italy ? :whistle: The only sand dunes we have in Italy are in Sardegna island, but the war there was very little and there has been no allied landing.

Massimo :)

well anthony - your dio could take place in sicily and i heard of rumors that sicily is part of italy (but like any else northerner i doubt that! ;) )

Now that we have established that Italy is under the sun...
Ken Abrams wrote:
It's a pretty big bone man. :lol:

1.There is that makeshift machine gun mount with bracing on the hood in front of the 'passenger' side.

2.There are some make shift mine/stowage racks on the sides.

3.There is a huge stowage box thing on the back with all sorts of strapping and angled supports under it that appears to completely block the rear door.

Nothing that can't be scratched out of plastic card and tube though. You can see it all in the pictures found on the Archer link

It also has early headlights and later combat rims so your resin tires would be out of the question again...

still interested? :D

YES!

That mount on the front hood should be no problem. I also see the jerry can mounts are present. I thought with the M3GMC they were left off. would this be an oddity or afterthought.

Just a later model, or an 'upgraded' one. There are many photos of both, with and without.

Also, ignore my earlier 'Acorn Inn' statement. Looked at the photo this morning and those are directional tread on standard 'automotive' style rims, looking at your resin ones they appear to be on combat rims.

rims_20100616_1362396588.jpg

However, if you're going with Darby's Rangers than none of that matters now.

Notice that the Ranger half track has an antenna, which is a bit odd, probably the lead vehicle or something. To my (limited) artillery knowledge, arty units normally depended on field telephones or a command/radio vehicle. There has always been some question (and maybe even debate) about where the radio was mounted on these GMC's.

There is a now 'famous' restored vehicle showing the radio mounted between the driver and passenger seat on the transmission hump, which makes sense and might be where this radio is. However, the tech manual for half tracks show what is called the FM-48, which is a small bracket designed to mount the radio when no other option is present in certain variants. Which ever you decide will be fine but if you want pictures and locations for the FM-48 let me know before you get that far and I can scrounge up some pictures.

:ro:

Hmm. so if the jerry can mounts are an indicator of a late variant would the idler spring be there?

moon puppy wrote:
Hmm. so if the jerry can mounts are an indicator of a late variant would the idler spring be there?

One would think but I'm going to assume these jerry can brackets were an addition to an 'early' vehicle.

If you look closely at one of the photos I sent to Woody, you can see a silhouette of the idler spring. IMO it is the early, single spring style that was originally taken from caterpillar tractors. It just looks too narrow to me to be the later dual spring that comes in the kit.

small_spring_20100619_1175088963.jpg

You can either buy the update set from Tank Workshop which contains a set of early springs, (and a bunch of other stuff you may never use) or you can scratch build a set yourself with parts from the kit part, some wire and some styrene rod and sheet.

snglesprngclsup_20100619_1075360948.jpg

One who knows what he's talking about would think the jerrycan brackets were later added...I thought they stopped adding them after a while...

Sounds like a winner, and the boogie assembly does not have the holes cut out either. That will save time this evening. Thank you sir!

I read that there were four GMCs in Darby's Battalion, I guess this is the only one that was photoed?

These things were so cobbled together by the wars end anything goes. This vehicle has the early headlights, unditching roller, no factory mine racks (those are definitely built in the field) and what looks like single springs. Everything says early vehicle to me, those brackets could have been from a disabled vehicle like an M3A1 scout car or something.

This is the only one I've seen photographed and it's photographed fairly heavily too, which was why it was a prime candidate for an Archers set. Multiple views of the same vehicle is often times quite rare.

BTW, I have the Tank Workshop set and have used all I am going to use. Let me know if you want the single springs, I will gladly mail them off to you.

Thanks for that. I think I'll scratch the spring. doesn't look too difficult. I think I can cut down the kit rack to size. Again, shouldn't be too hard. I'm looking forward to nailin' this, hopefully.

I had some time to play around with the PE today, getting the brackets for the de-ditch roller. I soldered all the parts, just wanted to see if I could do it again without burning my fingers. No casualties.
gmc211.jpg

You know, with a little ingenuity you could make this work. But I ain't doing it.

gmc212.jpg

What do you all think of the springs for the roller bracket? Solder or the brass one?

gmc213.jpg

Overhead of the chassis, I'm not doing much on the engine, just having it there to receive the exhaust pipe. You might notice some extra brass here and there. I can't help it. it's an infliction, affliction...something like that.

gmc213a.jpg

I never did like the way the road wheel axles mated so I took some 2mm pipe, cut to fit and bingo.

gmc214.jpg

I coudn't get the plastic bar to fit so...and the drive shaft was short a bit so I extended it, with brass...

gmc215.jpg

Look ma! No spring!

gmc216.jpg

here are the brackets for the idler springs, I'm not too worried about them being ugly. planning on covering them with mud or something.

Progress!

:D

Nice trick with the 2mm brass tubing and the road wheels axles, those never mate up and end up popping apart.

I'm gonna steal that for the rest of my builds. I usually remove the bit up to the little shoulder, drill them out and glue in plastic rod. Your way is ten times better brother.

Keep it up.

Just check that about the 2mm. It may have been a bit smaller. And not all pipe is equal. Lion's Roar wall is thicker. I like the Griffon pipe better, thin wall and easier cutting and it blends in easier with what you're placing the sleeve on.

Talk to me about the springs on the roller bumperthingy.

Its always a pleasure to see your work MP. Whether wingy thingy or target you always deliver some cool solutions to a problem. Keep her going. :dude
James

moon puppy wrote:
Talk to me about the springs on the roller bumperthingy.

OK

they both look good but I suppose it isn't too critical since they will be covered with paint? I thought you had already soldered those on in the one picture but I guess looking back, that's why it's laying on it's side...

the brass appears to be narrower in diameter but the solder appears to be a tighter wrap, six of one and half a dozen of the other IMO.

:peace

Back