• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Moon Puppy's 75mm GMC M3 Halftrack

Nice clean build!

Got some more work to do to it and then prime and paint it. I'm not going to try to paint like some of you guys painting the complete build, don't know how you guys paint completed builds.

Get this done and start the traditional building starting at the chassis and working up.

As for me, I first get the construction phase out of the way and than I can concentrate and focus on the painting. My brain can't handle two diverse projects :blink

Regards
Noel

Well I can appreciate that, I can't seem to handle multiple builds at the same time. What I don't get is how can you get details like tools and cables painted without hitting surrounding things, sort of like staying inside the lines in the coloring book. I got to paint in sections. And I hope to paint the gun this weekend. Will weather along the way also.

Thanks for the comments

easy - do it the john steinman way! put a piece of paper cut to size under the tool to paint and you simply cannot mess it up! :)

like this:

toolsexample1_1_20091217_1368531919.jpg

toolsexample2_2_20091217_1990831526.jpg

yeah, that works but...wouldn't it be easier to paint them off the model and then place the? That's sort of a rhetorical question cause, it HAS to be easier to do it off kit.

Tell ya what, I'm going to paint this gun and the other sub components then assemble them. Not saying one is better or one is worse, just saying this would have the Coiled Airhose effect on me. :mpup

Bob

I don't know much about Allied armour but I do like this version of the halftrack the most. Just read through your build and I'm learning about this vehicle as I follow along.

Nice brass work so far.

Painting in sub-assemblies or when it's all completed is a matter of preference. Some prefer to get the build out of the way.

that is some beautiful work, Sir Pup!

I gotta get over there and get some tips fromt eh emerging Master.

MP

This is looking very nice and precise. Good stuff. I'm with you on the painting of things before glueing them down ,that's how it used to be done i'm sure. It does seem now though to be a complete build first and then paint the thing as a whole. Looking at your photos i'm sure you could do it easy (y)

Ant

Mighty Ninja wrote:
Bob

I don't know much about Allied armour but I do like this version of the halftrack the most. Just read through your build and I'm learning about this vehicle as I follow along.

Nice brass work so far.

Painting in sub-assemblies or when it's all completed is a matter of preference. Some prefer to get the build out of the way.

:notworthy

Thank you, I follow your work at PA all the time. I don't post there much anymore, time has gotten away from me but I do still enjoy.

I have learned a great deal on this build as well. I've always like the U.S. halftrack but was not that interested in it like I am some of the aircraft of the era. I got this kit for the challenge and as I built it, I learned volumes about it thanks to Ken Abrams a.k.a Camokid, Rick Lawler and a host of other folks over the last year or so I've poked at this thing.

thanks for the comments folks!

Dang Bob, that is some mighty purty work! I need to come over and hang out, and maybe pick up some tips, if only thru osmosis. ;)

Five months later...

gmc210.jpg

A clean work bench, a fresh cutting mat and renewed interest in something that can handle some battle damage.

You should see all the brass bits flying into the trashcan. It was really liberating to tell the truth.

Hey, you said something about the Darby's Ranger GMC having some stowage that is different than what this kit has. Throw this old pup a bone...

It's a pretty big bone man. :lol:

1.There is that makeshift machine gun mount with bracing on the hood in front of the 'passenger' side.

2.There are some make shift mine/stowage racks on the sides.

3.There is a huge stowage box thing on the back with all sorts of strapping and angled supports under it that appears to completely block the rear door.

Nothing that can't be scratched out of plastic card and tube though. You can see it all in the pictures found on the Archer link

It also has early headlights and later combat rims so your resin tires would be out of the question again...

still interested? :D

I just realized, this is Duel in the Sun. Does Italy count? Guess that's the deciding factor.

I just can't give those chevron tires away..Interested, sure, didn't see anything about scratch building motor mounts.

moon puppy wrote:
I just realized, this is Duel in the Sun. Does Italy count? Guess that's the deciding factor.

Excellent point.

moon puppy wrote:
I just can't give those chevron tires away..

They would fit perfectly with the 'Acorn Inn' choice on the decal sheet but again, the question is if it fits the theme of the build.

Well according to the rules...d) From North African desert all the way to Iraqi desert (ie: Middle East)

I don't think we can stretch this to Italy. But I'm back to being able to use the Chevrons. Surely they would have been used during Operation Torch.

Back