• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Little wood Flattie

Got my taxes done, now back to the bench. Some more stuff came this week

Lost my solder equipment so -

solder, flux, heat sink clamps

Some cool looking toothpicks that look like mini hiking sticks, bamboo skewers for tool handles, ex nuts, a free paint mixer, teeny tubing and rod to make rudder hinges for the Little Wood Flattie

EJ

Back on the Flattie -

In the last week I've been looking for "prettier" woods to use for wood boat trim with limited success. Never seem to find exactly what I want and if I do it's usually out of stock. So, out to the workshop. In the "save this" bin, I found blocks of American black walnut, mahogany (not sure what kind), rosewood, clear western red cedar, various types of pine, clear redwood and a few I'm not sure of what they are. Spent about 3 hours building a fixture for the table saw to cut very narrow strips. The pics show what I was able to do. Able to get down to 1/16" X 1/16". pretty nice. I'm working on a fixture for the drill press to use as a thickness sander.

Next - went to work with the new soldering stuff. Making the Pintles and Gudgeons for the rudder. I call em hinges. I tried the lower melting point solder first, 275 degrees, but had two joints fail, so then used the higher temp silver solder, 430 degrees, with great success. The low temp I think might work very well with PE railings and such, but the high temp seems to be better for joints that might get stressed. Anyway, they are done and ready to install.

The materials -

Bent, fitted and soldered,

Cut off, pins fitted and cleaned up, ready for paint.

Next, the crib to set it on.

EJ

Very very cool. I love that flux and solder. Works great. If you would like a suggestion, the Weller portable soldering iron works well with that low temp solder.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J9S5F22?psc=1

51t%2BKPpf-dL._SL1000_.jpg

James

HMMMMMM, that solder iron look neat. I love cordless tools. I almost tipped over the bottle of flux with the cord on my new weller iron. Geeze. Gonna look into that.

EJ

Mine is slightly different, but you slide the switch on and then hold a button to heat up. Heats fast. Nice thing is if you put it down and then a few minutes knock it over, the tip will be cool so less chance of burns. It is a very handy tool.
James

Finished up the crib. Now I can install the centerboard and set the model down without breaking it off.

The installed newly made pintles (hinges). It works very nice.

Coming along nicely.

Next - the masts and spars.

EJ

That is looking better and better each time I see it. Great job on the hinges!

I do think that an aged brass color would look the best. That's just my opinion, it's your model and you're doing a spectacular job on it!

Not much accomplished this week. Installed the brass traveler bar at the rudder. Started to prep parts for the rigging. 8 blocks were supplied (3mm), so I started wrapping them with brass wire for loops, but lost 2 and never found them, broke 4 more wrapping the wire. Tried to make a couple but gave up on that. Ordered a couple packs of them from the LHS and got some smaller brass wire. I'll try annealing it before installation, if not, I have some small soft copper strands from wire clipping in the workshop scrap bucket, from 28 ga to 12 ga. Something's got to work. Also, the eyebolts supplied are actually small brass cotter pins. The eye portion is kinda tear-drop shaped which I didn't like the look of, so, I tried to close the eye and round it off by inserting a round plier tip in the eye and squeezing the shank to round out and "smallerize" the hole. Broke one leg off 4 of those, so picked up a pack of them as well. I think I'll wind up making my own eye bolts from an appropriately gauged brass wire.

The new blocks will be in on Tuesday.

EJ

Back