• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Little wood Flattie

Little wood flattie update 2-16-15

Eased the edges of the bottom planks so they fit to the keel. Installed both planks.

Faired the plank edges to the stern and side planks.

Installed the chafing planks on both sides of the keel, fitted to the plank angle.

Made and installed the rough keel post.

Faired in the keel post, made and installed the stern post too.

The bench is getting messy, so I'll clean it up a bit.

The easy stuff is done. The rough in crew is done and the painters and trim crew are up next. I'll put a couple coats of sanding sealer on it, smoothing it out and ready for paint.

Now comes the fiddly stuff, trim, deck items, do da's, sails and rigging. The work slows down a bit, but I'm pleased with the look so far. :) :)

EJ

Shaping up nicely, what sort of glue you using?

Funny you should ask.

Among other adhesives, I mostly use a medium gap filling CA glue for wood.

I do have to watch it though, because when I do a lot of joints or long edges, I will sometimes have an allergic reaction to it. Once when my grandson was here and we did a marathon bridge building day (out of balsa) for Science Olympiad at school, we both got hit. It gives symptoms like the flu. Runny nose, itchy eyes, sore throat, etc. The doctor said the CA gives off vapors that when they hit your mucus membranes will "kick" just like when you join two parts. The moisture on the mucus membranes makes it kick. Sometimes I'll do the glue up in the spray booth to get rid of the vapor, but often I just get caught up in the build and forget. I'm working on a fume extractor like we used in the welding booth at work to help with the problem. I'm thinking a higher volume bath exhaust vent (quieter than the spray booth) and a piece of plastic tubing used for dust collection. One available is made to hold it's position so it could be positioned near the work when gluing.

Anyway, I use CA for tacking in place sometimes, and a full seam glue up at other times. I rarely use accelerator as I think it seems to make the glue joint more brittle, especially when attaching PE rails to plastic ships. That might just be me. It works well with wet or damp wood as well as dry without accelerator. I have gone back over seams and joints in wood with thin CA to fill in minor gaps when strength is needed. When doing that though, I have seen the "vapor" rise from the joint as I apply the glue. Maybe it's a reaction to the wood. That said, I use the same stuff, albeit in smaller quantities for plastic kits and photo etch with no allergy issues. Maybe just the quantity? I don't know. All I can say is the reaction is not fun and takes 3 to 5 days to recover from. I like to use a yellow glue called "SIG BOND" used by wood frame aircraft builders, also just plain Titebond yellow glue for wood.
Depends on the situation and what I feel like at the time. Yellow glue eliminates the allergic reaction issue.

EJ

Have you ever tried Gator Grip Glue?
http://www.gatorsmask.com/gatorglueorder1.html
One of our buddies' here Kenny Loup, makes it. I don't recall anyone talking about how it works with wood. Big selling point is it's non toxic.

Yes I have. I've got both the regular and the thin formula and love the stuff. Great for attaching PE rails, doors, radars and stuff on 1/700 and 1/350 ships plus all the stuff that CA just doesn't seem to get a grip on. I even sent a bottle to a friend in Australia to try and he loves it too. Never tried it on wood though.

EJ

Little wood flattie update.

The hull and superstructure done and painted. Looks pretty good I think.

The sticks for the mast, boom and gaff.

The sticks - tapered, drilled for rigging, stained and varnished.

Some do da's pre-assembled and stained and varnished.
Trim pieces and toe rails, Samson post, rudder ( I made the tiller out of walnut for looks), centerboard, companionway door and hatch, coaming trim.

Will put a coat of clear gloss on this stuff tomorrow, the, ready to trim this little baby out. So far, I havn't even broken a stick.

EJ

That's nice! Would this be water tight? Not advocating playing in the bathtub with it just wondering...:rotf

That's nice! Would this be water tight? Not advocating playing in the bathtub with it just wondering...:rotf

I believe it is. Probably need some ballast, but I'm positive it would float.

:yipee

EJ

So all us aircraft guys buzzin' around :pilot could make dive bomb runs on it for practice. :drunk :frantic :rotf

Looks good EJ, I'm smokin' over my options right now and that little wood boat is looking interesting. :skipper

Back