• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Little wood Flattie

Little wood flattie update.

The hull and superstructure done and painted. Looks pretty good I think.

The sticks for the mast, boom and gaff.

The sticks - tapered, drilled for rigging, stained and varnished.

Some do da's pre-assembled and stained and varnished.
Trim pieces and toe rails, Samson post, rudder ( I made the tiller out of walnut for looks), centerboard, companionway door and hatch, coaming trim.

Will put a coat of clear gloss on this stuff tomorrow, the, ready to trim this little baby out. So far, I havn't even broken a stick.

EJ
EJ youre making this look waaaaaaay to easy :popcorn

Little wood flattie update.

The hull and superstructure done and painted. Looks pretty good I think.

The sticks for the mast, boom and gaff.

The sticks - tapered, drilled for rigging, stained and varnished.

Some do da's pre-assembled and stained and varnished.
Trim pieces and toe rails, Samson post, rudder ( I made the tiller out of walnut for looks), centerboard, companionway door and hatch, coaming trim.

Will put a coat of clear gloss on this stuff tomorrow, the, ready to trim this little baby out. So far, I havn't even broken a stick.

EJ
EJ youre making this look waaaaaaay to easy :popcorn

What do ya expect froma :drunk :drunk :stinker

Update to the little wood flattie, Got tied up with life for a bit, but back to the bench now.

The do-da's in front are the centerboard, rudder, gunnel trim, mast and booms, all ready to be installed yet. Then the rigging and a bit of dressing, rope coils and other trappings of a working oyster boat. I boogered the deck stain yesterday by spilling a bit of clear gloss on it. :angry: Instead of letting it dry and sanding the lump down, I tried to wipe it off, therby removing the layer of Vallejo matt clear and the wiped stain under it back to the white base. Crap. :angry: :angry: I might have to cover it with a crate or a lobster pot or something. Anyway, it's been a fun little wood kit to build. I like these to space in between regular plastic kit builds as it takes me a year to do an aircraft carrier. Here she is at present. Should have her done in a week or so.

EJ

:huh: Ya aint done yet?!? :unsure: :idonno Wut we gonna havta do wit you? Keel hull ya? Make ya walk da plank? :smack
Ok, let's see how ya recover fromm the chemical spill :drunk

Looks good, put a coil of line or something over that spot, if it were a tank you could do a tarp. :solider Don't let something like that spoil a great build. :popcorn

Looks good, put a coil of line or something over that spot, if it were a tank you could do a tarp. :solider Don't let something like that spoil a great build. :popcorn

MMMMMM - maybe not a tarp - but a pile of fish net might be in order, good idea!

EJ

Well, I didn't see the spilled area, so it may not be as bad as you think. Definitely covering it up with something will be easy and make this really look the part. This is a most impressive little model. Nice work!

Little wood Flattie update

Got a bit more done this week. Before I started on it, I had been asked if it would float, so, I put it in the kitchen sink to see. There's no top hamper yet, so it could be top heavy then, but for now, it floats beautifully.

Got a few more bits installed - the rub rails along the sides, the coaming trim on the well, companionway door and hatch, mop board around the base of the cabin and some cleats.

The bench is getting messier as I near completion.

Next, the stand, centerboard and rudder. Instructions say to glue the rudder in place, but I'm gonna make straps and pintles so it actually works. then the metal trimwork and the mast and rigging.

EJ

Great job on that little wood Flattie! I'm glad you'll be making the rudder turn. Right on. Looks like you're approaching the final stages on this.

Back