• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

IPMS 2016 National show

I am looking forward to going and while I will not have much "scratch" for the vendor area, the stuff in the viewing and contest areas are where I really want to take a look. That is very-very inspiring tome. I understand how one can easily find themselves building to expectations rather than reality, but the same can be said of pretty much any modeling.

Well here's a small though to your reply. :notworthy

" If I don't build for reality , I might as well build OB. and let it look like the toy that it is "

All I know is that many moons ago I got so disillisioned with all the contest hype and all that it burned me and I didn't build for almost 20 years. I somw ways I am making up for lost time now, but am still not interested in doing much with the contest stuff. I might go and look, I might even go and hit the vendor area, but as far as putting forth an entry? Probably never again.

All I know is that many moons ago I got so disillisioned with all the contest hype and all that it burned me and I didn't build for almost 20 years. I somw ways I am making up for lost time now, but am still not interested in doing much with the contest stuff. I might go and look, I might even go and hit the vendor area, but as far as putting forth an entry? Probably never again.

Pretty much my thoughts although I will not let any of that dissuade me from following my desire to build .

However , the contests, the rules, ext. Excluding certain modelers from participating in a hobby they love ( such as this particular contest) is way outside my comfort zone .

Cheers Christian B)

I just do not get why everyone gets so worked up about these contests! I build what I want to build and take what I want to take. If it wins, it wins and if it doesn't, it doesn't. I go in with no hopes of winning anything ever and I never have because I just don't think I am that good. So if I do win or get a second or third or honorable mention then I am overjoyed. :yipee

There is something to be said about the "politics" of IPMS, but I'll have none of that. If I'm not getting the judges nod because I'm not a good ole boy from the club, I'll take my models and go home. I'm not getting involved in that crap. Sometimes it is pretty obvious though. Every year at the Indy show: "And the award for Best in Show goes to our own... blah blah blah."

But whatever, I still go and have fun with my friends and hit the vendor rooms and look at all the sweet models.

What I find the most amazing about going to shows is all the models that I have never seen anywhere on the internet. It's just insane how many people are still out there building in solitude or just with the group of model friends that live around them.

I go mainly to look at the models and hit the vendors room for any good catches. I entered Blizzardcon one year with a 1/35 scale UH-60 and actually won 1st place in the rotary wing category, but that was it.
I'll still try to build for a contest sometimes, but I'm not a contest nut.

Tim

I just do not get why everyone gets so worked up about these contests! I build what I want to build and take what I want to take. If it wins, it wins and if it doesn't, it doesn't. I go in with no hopes of winning anything ever and I never have because I just don't think I am that good. So if I do win or get a second or third or honorable mention then I am overjoyed. :yipee

There is something to be said about the "politics" of IPMS, but I'll have none of that. If I'm not getting the judges nod because I'm not a good ole boy from the club, I'll take my models and go home. I'm not getting involved in that crap. Sometimes it is pretty obvious though. Every year at the Indy show: "And the award for Best in Show goes to our own... blah blah blah."

But whatever, I still go and have fun with my friends and hit the vendor rooms and look at all the sweet models.

What I find the most amazing about going to shows is all the models that I have never seen anywhere on the internet. It's just insane how many people are still out there building in solitude or just with the group of model friends that live around them.

Hi Adam . I'm with you completely . I have been know to take a model from time to time but it's mostly for the heck of it . I am not a contest modeler by any means.

I could care less about entering anything but IPMS claims to represent builders ? ? ?

My beef is about all the politics and the nods that you mention that irritates me . Exclusions of modelers is really poor form.
Just think, some people come a very long way to show off what they have created but you have to pay the extortion fee just to be there and then still have to pay the entry fee :frantic

Glad I'm not hung up on the contest part but I dislike politics very much :vmad

That's ok, my focus is on the vendors and the company .

Cheers, Christian B)

Personally, I don't think so, but my opinion doesn't carry any water so I'll just let it go. I'm just sad that I won't be able to meet so many good modelers simply because of a point that they have latched onto.

Oh well, I shall continue to enjoy all your company here on these boards and I'll revel in the work you all do here. Now let's all go build something.....

I will be departing Friday morning and should arrive in Columbia mid to late afternoon. I'm staying about 6 blocks away from the convention center and plan on arriving there close to when they open the doors. My main reason for attending is to meet some of you guys in person and the rest is just icing on the cake. I have never had any desire to enter contests but I do like looking at others builds to see how well they handle issues that I seem to struggle with. I have Bob's and Christian's cell numbers programmed into my antique flip phone and I believe they have mine. If we don't run into each other before lunch I will try ringing you guys up. Hope to see you there. I will be wearing a Lancaster tee shirt and a gathering of Mustangs ball cap.

At last! We're back on topic! I'm planning to be there Saturday, hope there's something left to purchase. :laugh:

I'm pickin' up Bruce at his house @ 0700, be ready. It takes us about an hour to get there, maybe a little more.
I'll have my bowling shirt on. :mpup

Enjoy folks! As was said, take lots of pictures!

I heard a rumor that an upcoming national might take place at Chattanoga TN. Right now I am just glad to be out of debt for a change. Been striving in that direction for a couple of decades. Still not quite where I want to be yet, but getting close so I am content at the moment with not going and doing what I should be doing.

If Chattanooga got it I think I'd make that show also. Chattanooga was a huge rail road hub, maybe still is but I know they have a very interesting rail museum.

2017 is in Omaha I believe.

he70a2c5.JPG

Then maybe 2018. It was discussed at our local meeting a couple months ago.

I could maybe do Omaha. Day trip from Kansas City and other relatives up in Nebraska.

Back