• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

IPMS 2016 National show

Yep, a week from tomorrow I'll be heading south, looking forward to meeting y'all down there ! :drinks

Dress cool, we're in a heat wave and they say no relief in sight.

Who else is going? Maybe we can all meetup and do lunch?

Was thinking I might be able to make it this year but am happy as the credit cards are all paid off and am getting ready to buy a house. Several of the guys in the local modelers group will be there. Could have gone with them, but meh. :idonno

Besides, I'm not a member of IPMS so I beleive that would limit me on something. (not sure what though :hmmm )

Was thinking I might be able to make it this year but am happy as the credit cards are all paid off and am getting ready to buy a house. Several of the guys in the local modelers group will be there. Could have gone with them, but meh. :idonno

Besides, I'm not a member of IPMS so I believe that would limit me on something. (not sure what though :hmmm )

As a non-member, you won't be able to enter anything in the contest. That is your only limitation. However, the entry fee gets you in to see the contest room, as well as full access to the vendor room. That in itself is worth the price of admission. If you can, I'd say go. There's some great deals to be had. Seeing Bob there will also be a great benefit.

Seeing Bob there will also be a great benefit.
\

:blink :blink You say that because you ain't met me! :rotf

There's going to be several MAer there, look for the bowling shirts.

Mark I think entry is open, none IPMS folks may have to pay more for their entry but I've never been denied showing a model. But I'm not taking anything this time.

My best mate from the Uk is headed over - he gets to the US Nats every year - he's promised me pics and maybe a prezzie if I'm good, if you bump in to Allan Jeffrey - tall grey-haired bloke with a northern British accent (sounds exactly like Ned Stark from GoT) - look after him for me...

Ian.

Dress cool, we're in a heat wave and they say no relief in sight.

Who else is going? Maybe we can all meetup and do lunch?

If you don't mind small cars, I will be driving, otherwise I call shotgun and will be to your right for the 90 miles of the trip there. I will be showered and promist to be on relatively best behavior too

I'm not a member either Paul, load up with the boys and come on over!

Here is what appears on their website, so let's not mislead anyone.

This alone would be enough to keep me from entering anything .

Personally I think that paying the entry fee should be enough to enable any modeler to enter his build.

From IPMS site :

I. ELIGIBILITY
1. The IPMS/USA National Contest is open only to members of IPMS/USA or
other national IPMS branches. Any current member of IPMS/USA or any
other national branch of IPMS is eligible to enter any number of models in the
National Contest. A member may also serve as a ‘proxy’ to enter models for
an absent member who is not attending the convention. Entry fees for
absentee/proxy entrants may be set at the discretion of the Host Chapter. All
entries except Chapter/Group entries must be the sole work of the individual
whose name is on the model-entry form. Commercially built and/or finished
models that do not require significant additional work by the modeler will be
ineligible.

I honestly can't tell you what the correct answer is . I know I was take aback when I read this .

I know we have some IPMS aficionados on this site . Perhaps they can shine some light on this topic.

I can however assure you that after my last IPMS show and now seeing what I posted earlier , my feelings towards IPMS continues to become more and more negative :sick:

Is this becoming a secret society ? If so , I will forget them very soon.

I'm willing to plunder the vendors but they are not likely to ever see my participation in modeling .

Cheers , Christian B)

Most local and regional IPMS shows are open, but that is left to the desecration of the local chapters. The national IPMS show is for members only.

:)

Christian, I'm sorry to see you becoming more and more negative toward IPMS. I've been a Nationals member since 2007 and a local member since 2000 or so. All I've ever had was good experiences with IPMS; in fact, more of my success at achieving new skills and improvements in my work can be attributed to my membership in IPMS.

No, they are not some secret society, nor are they becoming one. The IPMS Nationals is a chance to showcase the best of the best in the organization; that is why the contest is open to members only. Why this is a problem is beyond me; any other club or organization typically excludes non-members when hosting a National event for themselves. At the local level; all shows are open to non-members as well as members with no discrimination whatsoever. I've been to seven different shows in SoCal where everyone is welcome and all enjoy the camaraderie. In my chapter alone, there are approximately 17 IPMS Nationals members among the 52+ active members of the chapter.

I know my words and experiences aren't enough to change your mind. It's too bad that IPMS can't seem to shake this negative image everyone seems to have; I feel like I'm the only one who seems to see the good here in these Nationals and the organization, and I cannot understand why it's so hard for so many others to see it. Oh well, life goes on....

And to those who hope to meet me; maybe if they bring it back to the West Coast, I'll be able to attend again. Until then, it is beyond my price range. Omaha would only be possible if I get some kind of large home repair job.

I've never been to any shows where it was members only and I've gone to shows for a while now.

One think a lot of members don't seem to grasp is that test contest wind up making modelers building to the judges expectations rather than building things the way they really are .
Don't see any point in that at all . Takes away from real modeling as far as I'm concerned .

Anyway, makes no difference. They will never be back here again in my lifetime .

Oh, as side funny. The last IPMS contest we went to we were given gift bags with around five items in them.
In the end , none of us could figure out what to do with any of it and it all wound up in the trash.
Really made us want to join ranks don't you think ?

The only models I have ever seen that could not compete usually are from modelers that belong to the club sponsering the show . They will be on a table for viewing only .

Cheers, Christian B)

I am looking forward to going and while I will not have much "scratch" for the vendor area, the stuff in the viewing and contest areas are where I really want to take a look. That is very-very inspiring tome. I understand how one can easily find themselves building to expectations rather than reality, but the same can be said of pretty much any modeling.

Back