• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

H.M.S. Dreadnought

Thanks for the info on the deck painting. I tried getting a smooth coat with a brush and got nothing but brush marks. Had to strip it and now I'm trying the airbrush and masking technique. Not looking forward to all that masking either.

Bridge is looking great! How are you going to paint that without getting any on the deck? I really want to learn this.

Thanks for the info on the deck painting. I tried getting a smooth coat with a brush and got nothing but brush marks. Had to strip it and now I'm trying the airbrush and masking technique. Not looking forward to all that masking either.

Bridge is looking great! How are you going to paint that without getting any on the deck? I really want to learn this.

Ok I'll work on that part tonight.

;)

Last night I worked on the bridge. Before painting I thought I would add the PE railing.....well the first attempt was pretty bad(NO PICTURES). The kit PE is really fine and fragile so in the end it looked like a wrinkled mess. I had a sheet of 1/350 railing from Toms Model Works and set out to give it another go and the results were better. I still have some cracks to fill, but I think it looks better.

DSC04512.JPG

DSC04513.JPG

DSC04514.JPG

DSC04515.JPG

B)

I don't know how I missed this thread/build Terry. I remember you saying something about building the Arizona, but never saw anything come up. Now I know why. It is coming along very nicely! (y) (y)

Since Mark is chomping at the bit about the painted deck, I will ask this question, What paint did you use? Was it Tamiya, Vallejo, Gunze? Different paints work differently for brush work, and sometimes different colors work differently in the same brand.

This is neat, I'll be watching. :popcorn

I don't know how I missed this thread/build Terry. I remember you saying something about building the Arizona, but never saw anything come up. Now I know why. It is coming along very nicely! (y) (y)

Since Mark is chomping at the bit about the painted deck, I will ask this question, What paint did you use? Was it Tamiya, Vallejo, Gunze? Different paints work differently for brush work, and sometimes different colors work differently in the same brand.

This is neat, I'll be watching. :popcorn

While I might use any brand of paint I tend to gravitate to Tamiya colors. When you brush paint with Tamiya paints it's good to understand that it will take several coats to get solid coverage, but that works for me. For the deck I am using Tamiya XF-78 which is one of two deck colors Tamiya offers. The other is is close to a buff in color.

DSC04516.JPG

To paint the deck surfaces I use a round pointed brush which allows me to manipulate the paint where I want it to go.

DSC04518.JPG

After several thin coats this is the result. When dry I add a oil wash of burnt sienna.

DSC04519.JPG

B)

Ok last night I more of less finished the bridge construction. I'm not all that happy with the result, but there comes a time when you just need to move on. I finished outfitting and added windows to the bridge using Testors window maker white glue solution. Here is the progress so far.

DSC04519.JPG

DSC04520.JPG

DSC04521.JPG

DSC04522.JPG

DSC04523.JPG

DSC04524.JPG

DSC04526.JPG

DSC04527.JPG

Nice job on this Terry ... nice to know about the hairy stick you used ... lots of modelers see a hairy stick and don't know why they are different shapes ... Me I like a sash brush when doing trim work on 1 to 1 ... (y) :captain :salute

Nice PE work I hate the stuff ... one reason a shelved My Saratoga backdate ... the other no F-4's ... but Rhino put Me onto some that are 3D printed ... May have to get Her out ... after the tools get organized to where I can find them ... :popcorn

Thanks!

I am re-learning to do PE in smaller sections which makes it easier to handle.

Yeah Rhino really has the bug for printed parts.

B)

Back