• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Campaign for 2017- Midway

Came across this on some Midway history site...

"Midway itself was defended by 6 Marine Defense Battalion, which had been reinforced by elements of 2 Marine Raider Battalion and a detachment of five light tanks and was well dug in. Coastal defenses included guns of up to 7" caliber. Morison notes that the Marine organization closely resembled that of the Japanese at Tarawa later in the war, and suggests that the Japanese would have had a very tough time taking the atoll with the forces they had allocated."

So M2A4 or M3s? I am thinking probably the former more so...as the M3s were slow to come in at this time. Also-- I imagine any vehicles that would support an airfield-- fuel trucks, fire trucks, bulldozers, ambulances, etc...and 5" or 7" guns...still searching but am coming up scarce...

Here is a little more info.....

Midway Naval Air Station was placed in commission in August 1941. By that time, Midway’s facilities included a large seaplane hangar and ramps, artificial harbor, fuel storage tanks and several buildings. Sand Island was populated by hundreds of civilian construction workers and a defense battalion of the Fleet Marine Force, while Eastern Island boasted a 5,300-foot airstrip. Commander Cyril T. Simard, a veteran naval pilot who had served as air officer on the carrier USS Langley and as executive officer at the San Diego Air Station, was designated the atoll’s commanding officer.

Along with the naval personnel manning the air station was a detachment of Marines. The first detachment was from the Marine 3rd Defense Battalion; it was relieved on September 11, 1941, by 34 officers and 750 men from the 6th Defense Battalion under the command of Lt. Col. Harold D. Shannon, a veteran of World War I and duty in Nicaragua, Panama and Hawaii. Shannon and Simard meshed into an effective team right away.

World War II began for Midway at 6:30 a.m. December 7, 1941, when the garrison received word of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. At 6:42 p.m., a Marine sentry sighted a flashing light out at sea and alerted the garrison. Three hours later, the Japanese destroyers Sazanami and Ushio opened fire, damaging a seaplane hangar, knocking out the Pan American direction finder and destroying a Consolidated PBY Catalina flying boat. The Japanese retired at 10 p.m., leaving four Midway defenders dead and 10 wounded.

On December 23, 1941, Midway’s air defenses were reinforced by 17 SB2U-3 Vought Vindicator dive bombers, 14 Brewster F2A-3 Buffalo fighters, and pilots and aircrews originally intended for the relief of Wake Island. The Buffaloes and Vindicators were cast-off aircraft, having been replaced by the Douglas SBD-2 Dauntless dive bombers and Grumman F4F-3 Wildcat fighters on U.S. aircraft carriers. The Buffaloes became part of Marine Fighter Squadron 221 (VMF-221), while the Vindicators were put into Marine Scout Bombing Squadron 241 (VMSB-241), both making up Marine Air Group 22 (MAG-22) under Lt. Col. Ira B. Kimes.

Midway settled into a routine of training and anti-submarine flights, with little else to do except play endless games of cards and cribbage, and watch Midway’s famous albatrosses, nicknamed gooney birds, in action. Then, in May 1942, Admiral Isoruku Yamamoto, commander in chief of the Japanese Combined Fleet, came up with a plan, called Operation Mi, to draw out the U.S. Pacific Fleet by attacking Midway. Using Midway as bait and gathering a vast naval armada of eight aircraft carriers, 11 battleships, 23 cruisers, 65 destroyers and several hundred fighters, bombers and torpedo planes, Yamamoto planned to crush the Pacific Fleet once and for all.

Alerted by his code-breakers that the Japanese planned to seize Midway, Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, commander in chief, PacificCommand, flew to the atoll on May 2, 1942, to make a personal inspection. Following his inspection, Nimitz took Simard and Shannonaside and asked them what they needed to defend Midway. They toldhim their requirements.

“If I get you all these things, can you hold Midway against a major amphibious assault?” Nimitz asked the two officers.”Yes, sir!” Shannon replied.

It was good enough for Nimitz, who returned to Oahu. On May 20,Shannon and Simard received a letter from Admiral Nimitz, praising their fine work and promoting them to captain and full colonel,respectively. Then Nimitz informed them that the Japanese were planning to attack Midway on May 28; he outlined the Japanese strategy and promised all possible aid.

On May 22, a sailor accidentally set off a demolition charge under Midway’s gasoline supply. The explosion destroyed 400,000gallons of aviation fuel, and also damaged the distribution system,forcing the defenders to refuel planes by hand from 55-gallondrums.

All the while the Marines continued digging gun emplacements,laying sandbags and preparing shelters on both islands.

Barbed wire sprouted along Midway’s coral beaches. Shannon believed that it would stop the Japanese as it had stopped the Germans in World War I. He ordered so much strung that one Marine exclaimed: “Barbed wire, barbed wire! Cripes, the old man thinks we can stop planes with barbed wire!” The defenders also had a large supply of blasting gelatin, which was used to make anti-boat mines and booby traps.

On May 25, while the work continued, Shannon and Simard got some good news. The Japanese attack would come between June 3 and 5,giving them another week to prepare. That same day, the lightcruiser St. Louis arrived, to deliver an eight-gun, 37mm anti-aircraft battery from the Marine 3rd Defense Battalion and two rifle companies from the 2nd Raider Battalion.

On May 26, the ferry USS Kittyhawk arrived with 12 3-inch guns,5 M-3 Stuart light tanks, 16 Douglas SBD-3 Dauntless dive bombers,and 7 Grumman F4F Wildcat fighters, along with 22 pilots–most of them fresh out of flight school, May 29 saw the arrival off our Martin B-26 Marauder medium bombers from the 22nd Bomb Group,specially rigged to carry torpedoes and led by Captain James Collins.That same day, 12 Navy PBY-5A Catalinas joined the 12 PBY-5s stationed on Midway.

Beginning on May 30, Midway’s planes began searching for the Japanese. Twenty-two PBYs from Lt. Cmdr. Robert Brixner’s Patrol Squadron 44 (VP-44) and Commander Massie Hughes’VP-23 took off from Midway lagoon, then headed out in an arc stretching700 miles from Midway in search of the Japanese.

Midway got further air reinforcement on June 1 when six new Grumman TBF torpedo bombers, commanded by Lieutenant Langdon K. Fieberling,arrived. None of the TBF pilots had ever been in combat, and only a few had ever flown out of sight of land before. The TBF would later be named Avenger in honor of its combat introduction at Midway.

By June 1, both Sand and Eastern islands were ringed with coastal defenses. Six 5-inch guns, 22 3-inch guns and four old Navy 7-inchguns were placed along the coasts of both islands for use as anti-aircraft and anti-boat guns. As many as 1,500 mines and booby traps were laid underwater and along the beaches. Ammunition dumps were placed all around the islands, along with caches of food for pockets of resistance and an emergency supply of 250 55-gallon gasoline drums.

Midway had practically everything it needed for its defense. Along with the 121 aircraft crowding Eastern Island’s runways,Midway had 11 PT-boats in the lagoon to assist the ground forces with anti-aircraft fire. A yacht and four converted tuna boats stood by for rescue operations, and 19 submarines guarded Midway’s approaches.

I'll keep looking

The Third Marine Defense Battalion at Midway

The battalion was stationed at the Marine Barracks, Pearl Harbor during the 7 December 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor. Immediately following the events at Pearl Harbor, 3d Defense Battalion provided reinforcements for the outlying US garrisons at Midway, Johnston, and Palmyra Islands. During this time the battalion also added two additional batteries in May 1942, Battery K under the Machine Gun Group and Battery L (20mm AA Btry). On 22 May 1942 the battalion’s anti-aircraft group consisting of H&S, D, E, F, L & K batteries were sent back to Midway Island via the USS Kitty Hawk (AKV-1). They arrived at Midway on 26 March and would take part in the Battle of Midway on 4–5 June 1942. Following the fighting at Midway the detachment returned to Hawaii on 15 June 1942. At this time the 3’ AA Group was re-designated as the 90mm Group and the Machine Gun Group was re-designated as the Machine Gun Group. Searchlight battery was made part of the 90mm Group at this time. After the reorganization, the battalion spent most of July 1942 preparing for future offensive amphibious operations.

h353c709.jpg

The attack by Midway-based Army Air Corps B-17 heavy bombers
A fourth wave of fifteen US Army Air Corps B-17 heavy bombers from Midway led by Lieutenant Colonel Walter C. Sweeney, Jnr. arrived over the widely scattered Japanese carriers at about 0814. Their initial mission had been to attack Japanese troop transports approaching Midway from the south-west when Captain Simard redirected them by radio to attack Nagumo's carrier force. The menace of the B-17 heavy bombers produced more frantic evasive manoeuvres by the Japanese carriers. The B-17s dropped their bombs from 20,000 feet on Hiryu and Soryu. Although both carriers were bracketed by bombs and disappeared behind huge columns of water, they emerged unscathed. The B-17s captured some excellent high-level photographs of Japanese carriers engaged in evasive manoeuvres, but scored no hits. The Zeros showed little inclination to engage the high flying and heavily armed B-17s, and all B-17s returned safely to Midway.

72nd Bomb Sqd.....5th Bomb Group at Midway used the B-17E

h2d254f3.jpg

hb95a8a7.jpg

hc468a46.jpg

Here is a recently discovered B-17E from the same time period.

h4eeb7e8.jpg

h5129dc6.jpg

That's some great stuff Terry- thank you! Been researching all day in school while the kids watch a movie. Not a whole lot there...Targets for the Kate level bombers were mostly hangers and barracks and the like.

One interesting thing on the B-26s if anyone is thinking of building them is they were modified to carry torpedoes.

Midway 1942...

h0e40653.jpg

h07c510a.jpg

hc43cb0d.jpg

h0f70f9b.jpg

he5dc512.jpg

hf494622.jpg

hf76229b.jpg

hd2802fa.jpg

h3ec6dfb.jpg

he1a2162.jpg

Correct me if I am wrong but those next to last couple shots are Vindicators I think?

OK-- so we are at 9 if we count Gary...getting so close! Wanted to add a few more shots to all of Terry's hard work...as always these photos are for references purposes only!

On the IJN side of things...the Zero
zero.jpg

Kate
kate.jpg

Val
val.jpg

val2.jpg

And to give an idea of the sorts of schemes one would find- these were from Akagi0
akagi_planes.jpg

And USN or USMC--

Buffalo
buffalo.jpg

Wildcat-- I believe this is Jimmy Thach's...
wildcat.jpg

TBD Devastators...
tbd3.jpg

tbd2.jpg

Some in color from the battle-- note the art on the front of the torpedoes...
tbd4.jpg

tbd.jpg

There's a great video about these boys-
http://www.military.com/video/operations-and-strategy/second-world-war/battle-midway-color-footage/3357573056001

And I saved my favorite for last- the SBD-
sbd4.jpg

sbd5.jpg

And a couple excellent color shots from LIFE magazine...
sbd1.jpg

sbd3.jpg

sbd2.jpg

And my favorite piece of art from the battle-- from Stan Stokes- my wife got me this print and it holds a prominent place in my shop-
Midway_-_The_Turning_Point.jpg

I'm in. I've got some 1/72 aircraft set aside along with ships for Midway builds. Probably do Thatch or O'Hare's F4F.

OK- with Gary's vote to be applied yet, we are still at just 8...so I was thinking of posting some possibilities for folks possibly on the fence-- despite this being an important carrier battle, there are plenty of other options out there for this one. Other than the USN carriers Yorktown, Hornet, and Enterprise and IJN carriers Akagi, Soryu, Kaga, and Hiryu- there were tons of others ships in the fleets-- light carriers Zuiho and Hoshu; IJN seaplane tenders; IJN battleships including the Yamato; heavy cruisers such as the Vincennes, Astoria, Mikuma, and Mogami; light cruisers like the Atlanta and Nagara; destroyers like the Hammann, submarines, oilers, and minesweepers.

Aircraft-- USN included Wildcat and Buffalo fighters, B-17 and B-26 land-based bombers, PBY-5A patrol planes, Devastator and Avenger torpedo bombers, and Vindicator and Dauntless dive bombers. IJN planes included Zero fighters; Rufe, Jake, and Dave floatplanes, Kate torpedo bombers, and Val dive bombers.

I am finding it difficult to find out much on what sorts of land-based vehicles or guns the Japanese had as part of the invasion fleet, but I would assume there would be some sort of support vehicles. I will keep looking...and will post pics this weekend as well.

You have my vote!!!! Gary S.

With the 8 votes we have plus Gary and Kenny, that makes 10!! Would it be possible to start this in April after MMM ends admins?

Hey Bob-

Just bumping this up to ask again if an April start date is cool for when MMM ends?

When I used to lead the annual build at another site, we would start in April as approval for the attack from the govt of Japan happened between the 2nd and 6th of April in '42. I'm good with a June start as well...I'd like to see it go at least 6 months though to give folks time. I just didn't want it to get buried in all the great new build ideas being proposed.

Back