• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Tribute to my Grandad

A HUGE THANK YOU Gentlemen, this is the most emotional build I have ever done. I am building it thinking and hoping he would be proud of who and where I am in life. I know, it's stupid, but this is how I feel towards a man of whom I am immensely proud.

Small update - fuselage is now glued. Except for the cowling and engine as can be seen below. I have a lot of sanding and filing to do still, but it's getting there.

I have to glue the cowling halves together. The engine is resin, so CA is required.I am looking at the original pics to see as much as I can about this plane, and there are definitely some improvements that could be made. Will see how it all goes. For now, the biggest thing I can advise on is that you should NOT glue the MG in the cockpit as per the instructions :vmad :vmad :vmad .

Anyway, photo below.

hf6f0766.JPG

I hope this will be the best airplane I have ever done. Want it badly.

Cheers,
Laurence

Laurence when I built that Jeep for my Dad he knew right away what it was and was very proud of it, even invited his coffee buddies over to check it out. I know your Grandad is grinnin' lookin at what you're doing. :popcorn

Laurence when I built that Jeep for my Dad he knew right away what it was and was very proud of it, even invited his coffee buddies over to check it out. I know your Grandad is grinnin' lookin at what you're doing. :popcorn

I whole-heartedly agree!! :drinks

Your comments are too kind fellas, this is definitely an encouragement, very much appreciated too :notworthy

Planes are not my thing in the modeling world, this kit is definitely not what I would have liked at my level. However ... :soldier on ...must finish it.

Two photos, showing the cockpit from the rear and the other one showing the nose.

Trying to make it look all nice and clean, because when the wings are in place, there will be no room to do any adjustments. Working on attaching the struts, that's a job and a half. The main ones, four of them are at an angle. There are four smaller ones perfectly vertical (I think so at least).

I really wish I had a photo of my grandad near a fighter, like an IAR or a Me. Would have made it a lot easier.

h20ea77a.JPG

h63e05c7.JPG

Thanks for watching

Laurence

After a very very very long delay, here's the latest on this one. As promised to myself, I'll finish the models I started as a priority and this is way at the top of the list.

After looking at the plastic in the kit and having a dry fit session, I realised the struts were too flimsy and warped under the top wing .... how's that for a joke :tomato

The chosen solution is brass tube with a steel wire insert, then the tube is pressed into an oval(ish) shape to match reality. I have 8 struts to do. The complicated part is that I also have to drill all the holes for the rigging, can't mount the top wing prior to that. I have to drill a lot of tiny holes, but Grandad is worth it :D

h8aa15c9.JPG

hd93c0a7.JPG

h816db09.JPG

I really want this one to be BEST model ever. I have also contacted the Romanian Military Archives to obtain his war record, medals and all that. I want to find them and buy them, and make a display worthy of a museum, with his two photos there as well. Big plans, waiting for the details to come through and so on. This means it might take a while before the whole vignette is done.

As always, please feel free to come up with all the ideas and comments you can. It is much appreciated.

Thank you all for reading this,

Laurence

Thanks Luiz :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

MP, this is going to take a while. The way it works is like this - the military archives are stored at this location, which is basically a proper army regiment. I had only contacted the Archives HQ, they forwarded my request and evidence to them. I am thinking maybe a month or so before I hear from them.

Seeing this only happened yesterday (3rd of Jan), I think February might be a good bet. Fingers crossed.

Laurence

This is what I am looking at ...the rigging ....I have a headache already looking at that photo ....

h397f6ff.JPG

Laurence

I'm interested in how you handle those flarings around the turnbuckles attached to the bottom of the top wing. My perpetually stalled P6 Hawk has those, they are there to cover the turnbuckles and aid in aerodynamics. :popcorn

Back