• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A pair of Academy P-38's for Tom

Academy P38 for Tom

Good thing you're sharing because I was eyeballin' that scheme also but...

You just ain't right.

Nice idea - but why don't go 'the extra mile' and do 'Yippee'

hd197431.jpg

I can virtually guarantee that nobody will ignore it, factory fresh, tiny bit of exhaust staining and a one-stop-trip to the spray booth. I got the decals, so you know you're covered there :v - I DARE YOU :evil:

Ian.

You ain't right, you just ain't right...I can do that. It would stick out on the show table won't it.

Academy P38 for Tom

I was eyeballin' that scheme also but... You just ain't right. You ain't right, you just ain't right...

:evil: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks..." (Hamlet Act 3, Scene 2)

- not calling your sexuality in to question, boss, just the most appropriate response I could find.

Ian.

Academy P38 for Tom

Hmmm :hmmm ....Would it be totally inappropriate to say let the pain begin ?

Cheers, Christian B)

;) Probably not, Christian - This is the third one of these I've built... I obviously don't have the capacity to 'learn'... :facepalm

Ian.

Academy P38 for Tom

Tom's Birthday is tomorrow, August 17th... he would have been 54. 1961 - 2011.

ha8d6162.jpg

Rest in Peace and I'm sure those at the Sanibel Grill miss you as do so many others!

h15c61e2.jpg

Regards,

;) Probably not, Christian - This is the third one of these I've built... I obviously don't have the capacity to 'learn'... :facepalm

Ian.

You and Bob have something in common :rotf :rotf :rotf

Sort of wish I was ready to build one now but there on no easy P-38,s and I have not read anything about mine yet :pilot

Cheers, Christian B)

Academy P38 for Tom

Hmmm :hmmm ....Would it be totally inappropriate to say let the pain begin ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Well with those positive waves I'm doomed. :bang head

Been dry fitting, sanding, filling, sanding again. Things are lining up nicely. Calls for 20g of nose weight, that sure doesn't seem like a lot, think I'll up that a bit.

h0dae126.jpg

Trailing edges filled in and tapered a bit. Probably not as much as they should be but this will work.

h04f9eed.jpg

Booms dry fitted, nope, haven't glued yet. Didn't have the right vibe to do that just yet.

h7831b3c.jpg

hd2b5508.jpg

Couple of shots of the cockpit.

You'll also notice I got the Brassin superchargers in place. I didn't flatten them out enough to lay flat, will back fill those gaps with some CA or Mr Surfacer.

To Tom :drinks

Thanks for that heads up Saul, I did not know his Bday was coming up. Guess it was just karma. :zen

Ian.

Sort of wish I was ready to build one now but there on no easy P-38,s and I have not read anything about mine yet :pilot

Cheers, Christian B)

Which one you got?

Chris, really, the way you whip some of those kits into shape, you should be able to nail a P38. :salute

Loads of room for weight just behind the engine faces aswell. Use a couple of the smallest coins you can find or small hex-nuts and CA them in right behind those front-plates.

Ian.

Ian I picked up a pack of the weights they use for the Pinewood Derby cars, I can break them down in size and fit in nicely. Think I got about 12 ounces total, surely won't take that much. I'm going to leave the nose off till I get the main gear on to test. Yep, lots of room up front.

Ian.

Cheers, Christian B)

Which one you got?

Chris, really, the way you whip some of those kits into shape, you should be able to nail a P38. :salute

Sorry Bobb, couldn't help myself. Still have steam coming out of my ears . Of course you know I'm just funning :laugh:

On the other hand, all the P-38 builds I have read in the last few years appeared to be hard work to to whip them into shape . Of course none of them were in 1/72 either.

I do still recall the Revell version I built years ago and it required a lot of work . Not even close build to today's standards but then again, neither was the kit.

I do have a couple in waiting but not on the immediate build list . I do have to admit though that the F-5 is appealing . :)

They really are a lot of work. Just the nature of the beast :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Ian I picked up a pack of the weights they use for the Pinewood Derby cars, I can break them down in size and fit in nicely. Think I got about 12 ounces total, surely won't take that much. I'm going to leave the nose off till I get the main gear on to test. Yep, lots of room up front.

Sounds good, friend, just remember not to overstress the gear legs, especially the nose leg.

Ian.

h20c6bd9.jpg

Booms on, horizontal stab on, everything looks square and true. Stuffed some weigh in the nose so should be ok to go. Get some details to finish in the cockpit then I'll get the canopy on and masked then we'll start squirtin some paints. :pilot

Dry fit dry fit and dry fit. Make sure everything will be snug before committing. :pilot

Everything really is going together nicely.

Back