• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/32 P-38M "M" for madness

Re:1/32 P-38M

Wow. Hi there Harv. Sorry to have missed the last few weeks, but my lady type friend has been keeping me veeeerrrry busy. And all I can say is Owwwww in relation to the spilling the Tenax. But it is great to have friends that will send you a new boom. But I think it was still a saveable situation so long as you weren't heading towards a NMF on the beauty. Either way, it looks like it is still going to be a stunner.

Gary B)

And now this looks really cool and interesting.
sharkmouth wrote:
001p382.jpg

Old Lockheed advertisement.

The first thing I noticed was that it was from lovely sunny happy Burbank, Ca. :) :) :) . A truly great place to be. But then it was like, ummmm, what the heck is that. I know that the Blue Angels never flew in P-38's, so that is out. In fact neither the Navy or U.S.M.C. also never flew the P-38 so that answer is gone. And that only leaves one possibility that I am aware of here. And that is the color points straight to an F-4, or the P-38 as a photo recon bird.It doesn't really make much sence that they would go out and procure "special" paint just to coat something that is only going to sit on the tarmac at the Burbank municipal airport for training of future airplane mechinicalarist types. I figger that they gave them a PR version of the P-38 just incase there were even small diffrences in the diffrent mark. But who knows. It's all cool just seeing somehting like that all opened up so we can see how jampacked every square inch of space of room was taken up with something in an airplane.

Well, I think I have my disaster put behind me and all seems to have come out ok. I really hope I`m not borring you all with these small updates. I know this boom is taking forever, but I want to get it right!.One small thing is I added the fill cap for the Glycol tank in front of engine. This tank is one I`ve never seen done on a P38, but it is there. Here is a couple of pics with most stuff put together. Nothing glued yet, still test fitting. Still need to wire the bulkhead. Thanks all.....Harv :silly:

100_2036.jpg

100_2035.jpg

100_2038.jpg

I received a very special package today. It is from Piotr of Master models gun barrels. Last year I helped him with a little research on the P-38M guns for my then , upcoming build. Anyway to cut to the chase, he has since finished the barrels and sent me a few sets FREE for helping him. He is one heck of a nice guy and a pleasure to do business with. Thank you Piotr!
So here is a few pics for you all.......Harv
100_2040.jpg

100_2041.jpg

100_2042.jpg

100_2043.jpg

100_2045.jpg

Killer barrels Harv, pat yourself on the back also, obviously you did some good work as well.

I haven't done much. Today, I`m trying to get the engine mount done. This is where I`m at. The angled piece isn't glued yet, and wont till I get the engine in. I`m using aluminum welding rod. Great to work with. I also have larger pieces I`m using for some of the air ducting. Enjoy!....Harv :silly:
100_2048.jpg

I've been wondering where you were Harv, tell me about this welding rod. easy to work with? looks like you got it flattened out. Is it hollow?

Very easy to work with. Its actually TIG rod. Solid rod, very malleable.The bottom runner is supposed to be flat, so I hammered it flat and sanded down. Came out pretty good.I really haven't much bench time lately. Working 6 nights a week. But I will press on. I hope to get this boom sealed up and done in a couple of weeks(?)............Harv :silly:

Hi Harv.

That is some great work, and a great new tip about the welding rod (y) . Now I gotta see if there is a welding supply house near me.

Gary B)

Very little to post. But I was putting foil on the lower part of the legs and thought I`d try an experiment. I wasnt happy with the exhaust so tried using foil on them. Let me know what you all think....Harv :silly:
100_2059.jpg
100_2057.jpg

Well been awhile. I finally got some bench time. worked just on the engine. I`m calling it finished! Finally got the foil color I wanted on the exhaust, and dried brushed a little jet exhaust and black. Actually I just noticed one small part to add, but no big deal. So... let me know what you think, please. Now I get to work on the boom itself again!. Enjoy.....Harv

100_2062.jpg

100_2063.jpg

100_2061.jpg

100_2060.jpg

Wow Harv,
I've been watching from the side lines... That engine is a kit in itself
the way you are going with it... Love the build, and all the info you
are sending along with it... Do you know who's ride you are going to make it?
Master box has the WW-II Pilot set out in 32nd scale and Dick Bong figure
looks pretty good.
Shawn

Hey Shawn, thanks for looking in. It is the all Black night fighter "SNOOKS"/ "SHADY LADY" piloted by 1st Lt. John Brewer....Harv :silly:
3_57.jpg

Harv, the engine Rocks! I missed your post yesterday, sorry. The scheme is going to be something to see.

Back