• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/32 P-38M "M" for madness

OK guys & girls, small update.... Got the top panel cut out(just rough cut) and this is basically what it will look like. Still waiting for the resin engine. It will be slightly further back and raised just a smudge. As always, comments most welcome..........Harv :blush:

100_1815.jpg

100_1816.jpg

good clean cut. looking forward to seeing how this builds up. I love this aircraft but think that 1:32 would be a bit daunting. What's the span on this Harv?

:huh: OK, I got the resin engine today from Engines and things and good news, not so good news. It is a good representation of the real deal, but it is an old mold (it appears) . It is much more to scale than the kit. This means its much longer. Seems Trump shrunk their engine to fit the booms(?). So the new one wont quite fit. After examining both, my plan will to be- cut the rear detail off the resin one and attach to the kit one. This will save not only time, but very limited space. The one spot the kit engine shines over the resin one, is the intakes on top. Trump did a good job. The resin ones ore to flat and 1 dimensional. SOOOO, the work continues.
Please, if you have any comments, please do. I can use all the help I can get. TIA.............Harv :woohoo:

100_1823.jpg

100_1822.jpg

100_1821.jpg

100_1820.jpg

Sorry to read it is too large. Can't blame Engines and Things. As for it being an old mold, I have not seen any new releases from them in a loooooooonnnnnnnng time so anything is old molds. Yet, you must admit the detail is not bad (other than the intakes on top). Isn't the accessory box, at the rear, a separate part?

Regards,

Hello Saul. No, the back part is molded on BUT it would be very easy to cut off. Just a small stub between the two. I do believe the resin one is the correct size judging by the pics I have been studying . Thanks for looking in.......Harv :huh:

I am sure the resin engine is the correct (or at least closer to correct) size. Look carefully at the accessory pack. On the R-2800 and R-2600 engines I have from them, it had the same appearance (of a stub) but this was actually a pin from the accessory pack inserted into the radial. It took a little sweat but I separated them.

Regards,

Re:1/32 P-38M

moon puppy wrote:
Does that mean you're going to have to push back the firewall and rework the motor mounts?

MP, I posted ( a couple weeks ago) pics of what I did to the fire wall. I had already started the rework on both. In moving the firewall back, I will have to modify ( lengthen) the motor cradle arms I moved the wall back to just behind the open panel. Wear it sat before was right in the middle of the open panel............Harv :woohoo:

:idonno Well I dood it. Cut the back detail off and dry fit. I really think this will work out OK. The important thing is it fits between the engine supports with no probs.Looks to be a fair amount of clean up to do. A few air bubbles also. I may cut the cam drive thingy of and use the kit piece. Again a smidgen smaller, but better detail.Sorry for the crappy pics! As usual, all comments are encouraged! ...........Harv :woohoo:

100_1828.jpg

100_1827.jpg

dirtball wrote:
moon puppy wrote:
Does that mean you're going to have to push back the firewall and rework the motor mounts?

MP, I posted ( a couple weeks ago) pics of what I did to the fire wall. I had already started the rework on both. In moving the firewall back, I will have to modify ( lengthen) the motor cradle arms I moved the wall back to just behind the open panel. Wear it sat before was right in the middle of the open panel............Harv :woohoo:

I remember that, just wasn't sure if it was going back further or not. Trumpeter has some reason for having rough dimensions on their engines. I know with the Wildcat there's some parts that are no where close to where it should be. I suppose in this case they never intended for the Allison to be visible.

MP, I believe your right. But why go through the trouble to detail the engine as much as they did ??. They do look good when assem. and painted...........Harv :angry:

Perceived value. Give us a lot of plastic to work with and justify the larger than life price tag Trumpeter puts on their stuff. I wonder if I would not have been better off with another kit in doing what I'm trying to do.

But they build up into great models. When we, you and I, start looking at the accuracy of the kit we start to see problems, but OOB it still looks like a good model made better by attention to detail.

So git'er done Harv, I'm heading to the garage to tackle my own firewall! :mpup

Right you are. Another kit just wouldnt of been the same! Dont forget to post pics!.........Harv B)

:ermm: Hello all. Just returned from Mississippi and New Orleans. Been gone for 5 days. Great time!. Well no progress pics, but been working on the engine. Got some more painting done on it but thats all. Hope to have some pics by tomorrow.......Harv (y)

OK, as promised, a couple of ITW of the engine. Its a good start, but have more parts to ad and then the plumbing and wireing. As always, comments welcome........Harv :woohoo:

100_2008.jpg

100_2007.jpg

100_2006.jpg

Nice! I might do a 1/72. I think 1/32 might be too much for me out of the gate. I do have a build 1/48 Me 262 around here some where. Keep it coming Harv! Ryan

Back