• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/32 P-38M "M" for madness

Small update. The firewall is in place and I like the looks of it. The wheel well is finished. I ended up just spraying the LG silver. Not real happy with it, but its installed now.These pics are of the front of the boom and nothing is glued in yet. I posed this to see how it was shaping up. I like it. It should look awesome when done. Please leave coments. I cant learn if I dont know what is good/bad......Harv :silly: :

100_2010.jpg

100_2009.jpg

Git'er done Harv, I can see the plumbing and wiring already. You going to put some doo dads on the firewall and stuff? Trust me, I wouldn't worry about accuracy, it's a sickness...there's got to be a drug!

Just make it up. Gizmology is great!

Need inspiration? The doodads, thingamajigs, widgets, and whatchamacallits, are all here:

001p382.jpg

Old Lockheed advertisement.

P-38RightBoomEngineNacellePanels-2.jpg

Copyright National Archives.

P-38RightBoomEngineNacellePanels-1.jpg

Copyright A. Lochte. Find it in the Mushroom Publications monograph on the P-38.

P-38RightBoomEngineNacellePanelsOff.jpg

Copyright A. Lochte. Find it in the Mushroom Publications monograph on the P-38.

My apologies to the photographer as he deserves true credit but these were sent in a photo sharing group I belong to and contribute (AC Walkarounds)
p_38__engine_hatch_open.jpg

p_38__engine_hatch_open_2.jpg

p_38__left_engine_hatch_open_1.jpg

Have fun!

Regards,

Saul, thanks for the pics. Never have enough!! MP, yea, a bit of artistic license,eh? I think that will work. There is a tank that is at the top of the fire wall and a lot of stuff crossing through the opening also. So there will be enough to make it busy. More pics soon.....Harv :silly:

Notice that big blue line (whatever it is), to me, looks like it's routed differently between each aircraft. Maybe be different series of engines or even opposite sides of the aircraft but the only thing that looks consistent is the colors.

although not having commented yet i follow this build closely and enjoy every little update!

keep the good work coming harv!

Thank you all. MP, every variant had major differences.One of the reasons research is a PITB! The pics I have don't even show the "blue" thingy. But I`ll do the best I can....Harv :silly:

My guess, the colors may be something accurate in a more modern subject. Maybe the material used for that plumbing or even FAA regs (Saul could help with that i'm sure) I know when I was in the USAF, and likely when you were, all lines were color coded to some extent so they could be IDed. I don't recall what those codes were and don't know if that was the case during WW2. And not really helping here, just adding more questions but thought I'd throw that out there.

Color coding has been a standard since before the war.

Note that the last three photos show a modernized aircraft made flight worthy. The big 'S' shaped vent is in every WWII photo I have seen.

Regards,

OK, a small update. Engine is moving along. Started some plumbing. Also the panel attachment rails are done (I think) so, Have a great EASTER. All comments welcome....Harv
100_2031.jpg

100_2030.jpg

100_2026.jpg

Party on, Dirtball- that looks great! I've always had a soft spot in my head for the M- I built the Monogram as one when i was a kid. Say, was your avatar pic taken in Seattle? If so, our butts have been in the same seat- :D

Cheers!
chuk

Thanks Chuck. Much appreciated! Yes, Seattle. Our buts were in the same seat!. Went there last year to my sister-inlaws. Great museum. I think the best I`ve been to so far.......Harv

OK, I`m done for the day! Woking on my P-38M and the phone rings. Pick up phone...snap goes my main landing gear. OH SH!T! OK I can fix it I hope. Get the Tenax out . Phone rings again...nock bottle of Tenax over! Yep, all over my boom!Worst part is ,it was a bull crap 800 call.At least I learned from a similar accident,DONT TOUCH IT! I let it air dry and I think it will be OK. Need to sand, rescribe a bit and maybe re rivet part of it. Here is a shot. Please tell me it will be ok?
100_2032.jpg

100_2033.jpg

On a side note, Would anyone have a spare right landing strut with small side strut they could sell me from a Trump or Hobby craft kit??Please?
Thanks in advance....Harv

If I had it it would be yours. Show a picture of the gear, maybe you can drill out some and insert a brass rod or something.

I think a little treatment of Mr. Surfacer will cover any problems on the boom. Now, Kill the phone!

Thanks MP, I appreciate it. But not all is lost. I have a friend on another forum, who is in the position to send me a replacement boom and landing gear! How cool is that. And the phone? I wont answer it anymore while modeling, so there....Harv

Yeah well we still need to figure out a way to get some Brass in there.

It's good to have friends ain't it?

:laugh: OK, you can make me some brass engine supports...from scratch...without seeing the kit ones...with one eye covered! And FRIENDS are what make the world go round! Like you MP....Harv :woohoo:

Back