• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

F4U-1A * * F I N I S H E D * * Now with 'scenery'

F4U-1A

Thing is, Les, it hasn't 'totally' stopped. It seems happy to spray acrylics (most of the time), but unhappy spraying enamels, (again most of the time), and really reluctant to spray Alclad lacquer :bang head .

There just isn't any consistency in the problem, which by definition makes it an even bigger issue for me. If it was totally kaput, I could deal with it, but because the problems appear to be random and repeating, I just cannot take the chance anymore.

At least I have a good source of spares for the new one - the needle, nozzle tip and nozzle head are all new, and with the new brush you get a wee tube of 'lube' which I've not had before.

Unfortunately because it's a beautiful mild, clear (unlimited vis), day here in New Plymouth, I won't be able to get any modelling done, because as this is written, I'm Coastguard-ing and there's a fair few boats out-and-about to keep me busy. Ahhh well, looks like next week before I can get to it again.

AFN

Ian

F4U-1A

You're right, Chris, really does need a bigger cup, but like everything else, you simply get used to it. I could have afforded a more expensive/bigger brush (in-fact, Frau encouraged me to spend more - she appreciates that my hobby is just about the only thing keeping me sane whilst I'm out-of-work), but I've been so happy with my first Iwata BR, I just cannot see me using any other anytime soon.... Mind you, I said that when I got my first Aztek :gogo

Looking forward to trying it out, maybe tomorrow :dance

Ian

I understand, about the price and the sanity as well.

I thought about buying the C model at the time but I went withe less expensive .

I believe I could use both but can see why the larger cup model is worth so much more . Based on what's included :idonno Think it's only because they can :facepalm

Cheers, Christian B)

F4U-1A

I have always been in favor of bigger cups. :drinks
In fact, I deeply appreciate that Mrs. Barney agrees with me. :rotf

Oh!? We're talking about air brushes...

F4U-1A

"Larger cups".... Really ? C'mon boys....

Better get some work done very soon before my poor thread is slapped with a 'Parental Guidance' rating.

(funny tho').

Ian

F4U-1A

Ian,
That little tube of lube that came with your airbrush is good stuff, after I got my tube of Superlube I tore apart all seven of my airbrushes and lubed them and can say they all have a smoother trigger feel to them now.
Just one drop smeared on the front half of the needle is all that's needed to keep everything moving as it should. One very important benefit of the Iwata Superlube is it won't effect the paint at all, some types of oil can leave fisheyes in the finish of your paint and its better to play it safe. Superlube won't do anything to help tip dry but does provide some much needed lubrication to the needle bearing inside the airbrush body and since the lube is slightly thicker than WD 40 it helps prevent paint from seeping back towards the trigger assembly.

Matrixone

F4U-1A

All good advice, Les, and always appreciated. To say "...yep, the brush works !!", to be honest, is a bit of an understatement. I loved my old brush but because I've been using it virtually non-stop for five years, I've not noticed that it's become a wee bit 'aged', not unlike my 2006 Honda. The new one feels like the showroom-fresh BMW 323i I recently test-drove !!, Brmmmmm

h12982cc.JPG

hb1eb695.JPG

hd7e9abd.JPG

h7bda9b2.JPG

hb9cc023.JPG

Nothing clever, just Tamiya matt acrylics - Black (hinge lines, wing/fus joints, exhaust & back of cowl). Panzer Grey & Red Brown randomly along the panel lines. White on some of the upper panels in the centre that would suffer from the most weather fading.

Next - colouring-in !!

Ian

F4U-1A

Fantastic looking pre-shading, the use of different colors for the pre-shading makes for a more interesting finish later on. (y)

Matrixone

F4U-1A

Just a few years ago I gave up on my Aztek, I never liked it all that much. I upgraded to an Iwata CM-C+ and with proper care and cleaning it still feels as good as the day I brought it home.

And yes their superlube is great stuff.

F4U-1A

Can't hang-around here too long, there's models to paint !! - Here's my plan for the Corsair:

White - Humbrol Gloss(22) & Satin(130) mixed 50/50 with a little blue & light brown added to slightly discolour it.

Intermediate Blue - Xtracolour(125) & Humbrol Ocean Grey(106) mixed 75/25. For the fabric areas, add a little Humbrol Barley Grey(167) to lighten.

Non Specular Sea Blue - Xtracolour Glossy Sea Blue(121) & Xtracolour RAF Blue/Grey(13) mixed 50/50 then add +/-30per-cent Humbrol Ocean Grey(106) to lighten it and bring it closer to the Intermediate blue. For the fabric areas again I'll add a little Humbrol Barley Grey(167).

Off now to do some of that painting sh*t :geek

AFN

Ian

F4U-1A - Colouring-in done (pic heavy)

Starting at the bottom :eek:hmy: - Two thin coats of white as per the mix I mentioned above:

h07aa65e.jpg

hc4c3e03.jpg

hc2be267.jpg

ha103090.jpg

As you can see the pre-shading is still visible especially at the rear of the cowl. Very happy at this point, so left it to dry/cure for around 48hrs.

More in a moment.

Ian

Next I sprayed mixed-up two 'base coats' these formed the foundation for the two upper colours. Using my version of 'non-specular Sea Blue, I then added a little 'Ocean Grey' by eye and sprayed the 'fabric' areas, (outer wing panels & outer flaps and the elevators).

h35e3c45.jpg

he7695c9.jpg

I did the same for the underside outer wing panels & outer flap and the rudder, using my 'home-brewed' Intermediate Blue:

hddbf377.jpg

(Even) more to come, don't touch that dial :eek:hmy:

Ian

Camouflage time. Using the new airbrush (with the diffuser removed and the compressor set around 12psi), I started 'scribbling' the darker 'base coat' randomly all over the upper fuselage and wings. I used this technique before on the 'Flying Finn' P-47 from a few months back.

After 'scribbling' over the area, I changed the tone of the 'base coat' by adding some 'Ocean Grey' which I overdid, losing a lot of the 'blue' from the colour, so by complete chance, I found an unused tin of RAL5008 'Graublau' - This is a rarely used colour found (only ?) on Marineflieger Tornado's and a handful of Dornier liaison machines in the late 1980's when they were moving-away from the old Bassaltgrau/Silbergrau scheme. This colour had the effect of returning the blue into the overall effect and 'calming down' the grey which I'd accidentally introduced.

Here's a couple of shots taken mid-way through the process:

ha9d9310.jpg

h48b4b4c.jpg

h6738e3e_2014-08-30.jpg

At this point I really wasn't sure that I could pull it all back together. Stay tuned to see what happens next.... :idonno

Ian

So after that, I then 'bit-the-bullet' and sprayed a much-thinned coat of the RAL5008 with a 'hint' of 'Ocean Grey' over the whole topside hoping that I could make it all blend in - it worked :whistle: - So rather more cautiously I set-about the Intermediate blue areas using the same 'scribble' technique, but this time using a little less variation in the tones of the 'Base Coat'. This turned-out much, much better.

My last colouring-in job (this afternoon) was to post-shade especially those panels most exposed to the sun, just to fade them back some more. Once again the base coats were lightened sprayed, lightened again and sprayed again. Some panels got three 'goes' some just one. The effect I was aiming fore was heavy random fading. Obviously I'm too 'connected' to have an unbiased opinion of final result, so genuinely folks, I need your thoughts and feedback... You all know me, you all know I'm not 'precious' about my models, so let's hear what you think.

Thanks in advance. So in the meantime, here's where it stands right this minute:

h4eefb6d.jpg

h9578efe.jpg

h7cecd3c.jpg

ha4b8bd6.jpg

h1376fac.jpg

hbc550be.jpg

hb9016ae.jpg

h2ef359e.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment. More next week.

AFN

Ian

Back