• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

F4U-1A * * F I N I S H E D * * Now with 'scenery'

F4U-1A

:yipee ...Ahhhh yeah !!
Got all chores done yestrday, nothing today but get the 'ickle stormtroopers' to school (2mins), then collect them at 1500. The rest of the day will be 'Me Time'

:yipee Wearing a stupid big grin jus' now.

Ian

F4U-1A

And so my first job this morning was to cut the plastic card that I used to 'stuff' the gap in the fin where I'd cut the rudder away.

ha5c9c1f.JPG

Then it was on with the 'joining up'. All went extremely well with absolutely no problems whatsoever. The wing inserts that form the inside of the wells a and the intakes simply dropped in to place without any complaints, you really have to hand it to Tamiya, their engineers are on another 'plain' - :pinch: is that the worst pun this year ??

hbb8ce1f.JPG

hde90057.JPG

h824a278.JPG

h1768d43.JPG

Downside to today's activities... my ailing Iwata Revolution BR refused to work this afternoon. Looks like a few eMails to sunny England and buying a replacement, fast !!. Ahhh well, good job I don't take this hobby too seriously.

Ian

F4U-1A

can you soak it in some strong thinner, lacquer thinner maybe?

Build up is looking good Ian.

F4U-1A

I strip it down, leave it in strong cellulose based thinner after every session, and clean it thorougly/clinically, always have. Whatever the problem is, it's pretty serious and it's been coming for about three months. Today it refused to spray Alclad lacquer...

Had a coupla vouchers from Amazon, and ordered one from there this evening. £49.00 including postage (I'll let you guys work that out for y'selves but that's pretty d*mn near cost, so not complaining.

AFN

Ian

F4U-1A

Not sure about the Iwata brand stuff but it sounds like the needle baring is gone. Try this, get some thick oil, Badger has their Badger Juice that lubes the baring and creates a tighter seal, does wonders. Might be worth a try to squirt some paint that you need.

F4U-1A

Coming along nicely Ian . :)

Have you got a set of the cleaning tools ? Mine has acted up a couple of times even though I clean it regularly with lacquer thinner .
The little bits of residue will build up and require some mechanical help.

Cheers, Christian B)

F4U-1A

Math? You want us to do math....

Hmmmm.... 49 quid x $1.68 (shoot it was 2.50 when I was stationed in the UK)... carry the one.... $82.33 plus shipping... plus the agro from waiting... The joys of internet marketing... we can get it to you cheaper, and maybe faster... maybe... (I am still waiting for something purchased in MAY from Ebay... it has been lost in translation or something...)

Still... damn fine looking F4U

F4U-1A

Ian,
How long have you been using the Revolution BR? I am going on five years with mine and its seen some heavy use not just with models but with painting backdrops and of course airbrush practice sessions so I wonder how much longer before something will wear out on it. :idonno Have you tried using beeswax on the threads of the spray nozzle? Maybe your BR has too much air leaking for it to spray, if so, the beeswax will help.

I am a stickler for keeping my BR clean but have never done anything beyond removing the spray nozzle and needle at the end of the day during cleaning, I think removing and inserting the needle from the front has saved a lot of paint getting inside the airbrush innards and gumming it up.

The Iwata Superlube is worth its weight in gold and helps in a small way to reduce wear and also gives very smooth action with the trigger.

Matrixone

F4U-1A

Only got the mobile/cell on atm so difficult to type. Thanx for the suggestions and comments. I'll get bsck to y'all later. It's 0720 here and we 're trying to get the 'ickle stormtroopers' out for soccer.

I hate Saturday morning sport

Ian the Tired

F4U-1A

Ian,

You know it is only going to get worse? I raised three kids and watched Carol raise 2 of her's... Soon you will be stupid, and idiot and have no idea what it is like to be a teenager... Especially if you have girls... I have 2... Then dating starts and you start the worrying... Where are they? What are they doing? Are they doing THAT?

:yipee :yipee :yipee

F4U-1A

They say when you have a boy you worry about him

When you have a girl you worry because of ALL the boys in town (Propably because we were boys ourselfs)

F4U-1A

Have you got a set of the cleaning tools ?

Cheers, Christian B)

No Chris, never did get the Iwata cleaning set. When we came over I brought aerosol cleaners with me and they did a great job, never once let me down; but they're well used-up now and to buy more here I'd need another mortgage :blink . So I simply field-strip the thing right down after EVERY session and soak it at least overnight in really strong cellulose thinners.

All was fine until about 12weeks ago when I noticed pressure dropping-off as I I was spraying.

Ian

F4U-1A

Ian,
How long have you been using the Revolution BR? I am going on five years with mine and its seen some heavy use

Maybe your BR has too much air leaking for it to spray, if so, the beeswax will help.

The Iwata Superlube is worth its weight in gold and helps in a small way to reduce wear and also gives very smooth action with the trigger.

Matrixone

Les I've had mine about the same time, maybe a wee bit longer and my build/spray rate is probably the same as yours.

Yep, had that problem too, but the guys at Graphic Air in the UK told me about the Beeswax trick, they also said that 'chapsticks' do exactly the same job so I use one of them and it solved the 'air escape' problem !!

Not used Iwata Superlube, I use WD40 applied gently with a Q-tip and that seems to do the same job.

:idonno

Ian

F4U-1A

Ian,

You know it is only going to get worse? I raised three kids and watched Carol raise 2 of her's... Soon you will be stupid, and idiot and have no idea what it is like to be a teenager... Especially if you have girls... I have 2... Then dating starts and you start the worrying... Where are they? What are they doing? Are they doing THAT?

:java Thanks Barney, that cheered-me-up-no-end..... :rotf

Ian

F4U-1A

Ian,

Raising kids was the the third hardest thing I ever did... Being a medic in Iraq in 2006 was #1 and being a company commander in Iraq during Desert Storm was #2... Unfortunately, raising kids was spread in there with all the other life events. :bang head

Then, one day, they bring that tiny grand baby home... OMG... I now know why the first time I saw my dad cry was when he held my daughter...

Hang tough... if you don't kill them by age 15, you both will probably survive...

F4U-1A

Ian,

Raising kids was the the third hardest thing I ever did... Being a medic in Iraq in 2006 was #1 and being a company commander in Iraq during Desert Storm was #2... Unfortunately, raising kids was spread in there with all the other life events. :bang head

Then, one day, they bring that tiny grand baby home... OMG... I now know why the first time I saw my dad cry was when he held my daughter...

Hang tough... if you don't kill them by age 15, you both will probably survive...

Other than your working circumstances I would say this is very accurate . Strangely enough, raising a son was even worse . I use to be more sane :blink

Back