• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

F4U-1A * * F I N I S H E D * * Now with 'scenery'

F4U-1A

The pictures sure don't seem to reflect the artist rendition :idonno

Cheers, Christian

You're absolutely right, Chris, I have no idea why the paintwork on Kiwi F4U's seem to fade differently to US ones. They (ALMOST) all seem become a uniform, bleached, patchy, blue-grey on the topside which is virtually indistinguishable from the Intermediate Blue on the sides.

Very odd, but it means that nobody can say 'No they weren't like that', because each one was different. Check-out this early '45 photo !!

hdd9906e.jpg

Photo's later today MY TIME, Bob :tomato

Ian

F4U-1A

The pictures sure don't seem to reflect the artist rendition :idonno

Cheers, Christian

You're absolutely right, Chris, I have no idea why the paintwork on Kiwi F4U's seem to fade differently to US ones. They (ALMOST) all seem become a uniform, bleached, patchy, blue-grey on the topside which is virtually indistinguishable from the Intermediate Blue on the sides.

Very odd, but it means that nobody can say 'No they weren't like that', because each one was different. Check-out this early '45 photo !!

hdd9906e.jpg

Photo's later today MY TIME, Bob :tomato

Ian

So, there's no possibility of them being a single blue shade ? :hmmm

Not all the airplanes in that part of the world wore original paint colors. At least not the Ausie birds. Asking more than telling since my base knowledge of that subject is very limited.

Cheers, Christian B)

F4U-1A

So, there's no possibility of them being a single blue shade ? :hmmm

Not all the airplanes in that part of the world wore original paint colors. At least not the Ausie birds. Asking more than telling since my base knowledge of that subject is very limited.

Cheers, Christian

I know that we can never say 'never', but there's no evidence (documented, anecdotal or otherwise), to support that Kiwi Corsairs were overpainted a single bluey-grey tone. What did happen as you can see on #47 in the photo, was that new Glossy Sea Blue was applied straight over the top of the old, tired aircraft in the three-colour scheme.

I tell you, this is a minefield, the best I can hope for, in the absence of a photo of this actual machine, is to make something 'representative' of a RNZAF F4U and leave it at that.

Off to the bench now, back on-line this evening, my time. Play nicely everyone :coolio

Ian

F4U-1A

I think 47 is freshly repainted. No 39 was repainted the week before and has seen some service in the week since :fencing

F4U-1A

Paint does weird things in the tropics. My cousin Russ flew in B-24s in the Med... he would show us pictures and swear that planes were pink, bile green and other assorted colors. he even had a picture of a plane that had the tails from one acft and an outer wing from another... After he died, some moron tossed his memory box thinking it was garbage.

F4U-1A

OK, five pics to illustrate my starting-point this morning. The 'interior green' is my own mix of various Tamiya greens & yellows. At this point there's no Eduard etch installed. The consoles & panels are hand painted Tamiya flat black and dry-brushed Humbrol Dark Sea Grey then picked-out with Tamiya flat red and Neutral Grey.

The seat here has a very light dry-brush of Humbrol 56 'Aluminium'. You'll also see the 'ghosts' of the dials on the IP, they've all been carefully carved off ready for the aforementioned Eduard etch goodies.

Thanks for taking the time to look, there's been a lot of progress today, so hopefully will get some pics up tomorrow once it's all dried and settled.

Ian

F4U-1A

At the start of this mornings' festivities, I was here:

A little more hand-painting here and there, an oil wash of olive green & Paynes grey into the recesses and a little more dry brushing with both the lightened base colour and a little Humbrol MetalCote matt silver. As this is written, the Eduard Zoom and Placards have been added and lots of wee handles and mixture controls have been fashioned from stretch sprue. That's all setting and settling now, photos of today's work will be up tomorrow.

AFN

Ian

F4U-1A

Thanks, Jeff. Have to say I had such a good session this morning with the 'pit and the Eduard etch, I could conceivably halt right here, It looks so good, and I just know that some of the more delicate parts will fly-off in to the waiting arms of Clive the Carpet-Monster when I start again tomorrow :pinch: .

Good job I don't take this hobby too seriously, eh ?? :gogo

Ian

F4U-1A

Is this 48th Ian?

I'm interested in the placard set from Eduard, do you have the set number?

nice work on the detailing (y)

F4U-1A

Is this 48th Ian? I'm interested in the placard set from Eduard, do you have the set number? nice work on the detailing (y)

Hi Phil, thanks for the kind words, matey.

Yep 48th Tamiya kit (and bl**dy good it is too :good: ). TBH I wouldn't bother with the placards set if you already have the Zoom set. There's thirty pieces in the placard set, I've used five and you can barely see them, if you don't have or intend to use the Zoom set, then yes go ahead, the catalogue number is: FE244, I know you didn't ask my advice, but I know you'll take this as I mean it... Go for the Zoom set, it's the same price (within a coupla cents) and you get so much more you can use and that folks can see... Have a look at my pics below, see what you think:

As you can see, this mornings' start-point was a whole lot further ahead. TBH all I've done today (and all I'm going to do), is gently fit the completed 'pit in to one of the fuselage halves and then walk away - I just dont need to push-my-luck when it's going this well :pinch: . The Eduard sets fitted perfectly, the variations in the green tones and the weathering all look fine to me, and bringing the whole thing together was a joy.

Yep this morning was a good session. With that done and setting, I'll leave the whole thing alone until Thursday then I can finish the main fuselage assembly and make a start on the engine.

Thanks as ever for taking the time to look and/or comment.

Ian

Back