• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

WnW Albatross D.Va (OAW).

Okay Bob, I went back and looked at your Eindecker (don't know how I missed it the first time) and I wish I saw it before I started, I could have used a lot of that info going into this one. Although if I did, I might have tried some of your detailing, then this would've ended up boxed. Here all along I though the pencil line wood pattern was my brilliant idea (or at least until you mentioned it earlier). That build is inspiring.

I really had/have no idea how to pull off a fading effect over lozenge decals, I'd be much more comfortable with a painted wing, but here I am. My original idea was to paint this as the first red-washed Red Baron, stain-like over wood (no idea whatsoever about accuracy of plane or anything else) but when I cracked the kit and saw what they offered in terms of their research, I had to go with what they did.

I was also thinking about some oil dripping from between the panels around the engine compartment as well as some running back, but I think it would get lost in the wood grain. Did this type of engine throw oil like the Eindecker?

Tom, I hear you on knocking down the blindingly white decal. I can't sink it further, it's Futured in place, but it's pretty deep in the lines, I Sol'ed it a few times. I didn't think of slicing the decal in the lines, I only did it where I need to eliminate a bubble. I'll certainly use that on future builds. I'll still wash the panels as well as some dry brushing of hardware, etc. That dark line leading into the decal is actually a decal itself, not a recess. Don't know why or what it serves, but that's what the directions directed. I do appreciate the points made. I'm hoping that just a lightly colored matte finish with knock down the brightness, then some dry pigment faded up from the bottom.

James, I don't think there is a problem with the upper wing on this kit, I don't think the lowers have enough dihedral. I had a nasty time setting the upper, all the while expecting something to snap. I couldn't get the outboard cabanes to meet long enough to set some tape for the glue to set. Out of frustration, I just started pouring CA everywhere and it finally held. I really thought it was over there for a while. Between the pitch of the upper wing compared to the lower and the lower dihedral issue, it's a bear to set. There's little room for error with those support parts, if ever there was a need to metal AM pieces, this is it. LG too, when I put the model down, it dances for about 20 seconds before it settles.

Looks good although to me the bottom wing is way to dirty. An easy way to fade the wing is to mist a diluted Tamiya smoke onto it. Its too late, but Aviattic makes fantastic lozenge decals that not only have the weave of the fabric but come in new, faded, and varnished versions. Looking forward to more.
James

I hear ya James on the dirt.

I really wasn't going for anything special here, besides the EZ line and turnbuckles, I was going to stick OOB. I should have looked into the fading, but I really just plowed ahead. I may wrap some long grass or wheat around the strut bases and LG and go for the hard put down in a field look.

Anyway, I got some rigging done. I kept checking thoughout the steps, hoping that at least the magneto wires would be visible, but the wing pretty much seals off everything. Oh well, it was fun anyway. I should have left it exposed like WnW mentions in the guide.

On to the pics. Not up to the standards of what I see on this site, but it'll do for me. I have the LG and nose wires left, so four total and then the ailerons and tail surfaces and then I'm out. No more rigging. (no more bipes either ;) ).

I ended up just cutting ball off the bottom since that added to the out of scale appearance of the 1/32 turnbuckles IMO. Plus it was easier to use the pre existing holes instead of drilling new. I pre attached the rigging to the underside of the wing, but with all the wrestling with the wing, at least half was toast and had to be redone. It's been a long time since I've used CA, I forgot how much things get stuck to me.

hed171df.jpg

h1e2f064.jpg

h593566b.jpg

h08580f6.jpg

So tailplanes, exhaust, radiator pipes and final weather and I'm stickin' a fork in this one.

Glad to see you excited about this one-- it really does keep the joy in things if you stay interested and unfrustrated ;) Sadly, I have left off working a bit on my Fokker DV.II as I am currently really enjoying the Quonset Hut dio I am working on...but watching your enthusiasm with this build is making me want to pick the fokking Fokker back up again ;)

Thanks Mike.

It is great to actually build someting start to finish. I really haven't done this for as long as I can remember. Somewhere along the lines, modeling became just another thing that had to get done, not like it used to be, sneaking off to the bench for an hour here and there.

This worked out perfect since I had zero expectations, no knowledge whatsoever of the subject or what I was getting into and on top of that, the kids were off this week, so evenings were free from scout, rocket, and scout committee meetings, jazz club, etc. You forget how much running around is done until you don't have to. ;)

Absolutely stunning...congratulations for the excelent job...one day in the future , I hope to make a WWI plane as good as yours (y)
Best!

Luiz

Thanks Luiz, but I'm pretty sure you could build circles around me with WWI or any other subject.

Skinny Mike, I really just bought this as a backdrop to some 1/32 figures, but I'm glad I did. AC in general is not my normal genre, certainly not WWI AC, but to tell you the truth, I've tried kits ranging from the 1/16 Tamiya RC armor all the way to the old Aurora Monsters and I have to say, this has been hands down the best engineered kit I've looked at. WnW completely delivers on their slogan of quality kit sets and every modeler should try one at some point.

That said, I probably won't get another due to lack of interest in WWI, but I do appreciate what they are doing and this build certainly snapped me out of my fear of cockpits and engines, so I'll be ready to tackle some sngle wing WWII craft soon.

Is that a Blue Max Piet?

Thanks again for the encouragement and kind words guys, much appreciated.

Bob, I still have to finish this one. :hmmm

:notworthy

Forget what I said about the weathering on the bottom wing, it looks fantastic when all assembled. :notworthy

Nice feeling to finish a project isn't it? (y)

It's even nicer when you have finished a work of art! A really nice finish to your build! :notworthy

Back