• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Wittman's Last Drink Aug. 8th '44

Fantastic info there Jerry and a great insight into what made the common soldier especially about sending them to the MAN factory.

Don`t worry I always view Nazi leadership and political viewpoints and actions and common SS soldiers completely differently.
Well,you always ahve to give the disclaimer first as when the usual people hear the SS thing the blinders go up and they see red! I have beed into the waffen ss history for decades but recently there have been some great new books tht have surfaced and I am finding out a lot more. I knew for a long time,for instance,that the replacements were not of the original ridiculously high caliber material but I had no idea even the LAH was rebuilt at least twice with a lot of Volksdeutsch and ex-luftwaffe dudes. Even so,the quality of the remaining cadre of nco's and officers made these new guys into an excellent unit time and time again. There was even a guy in the half track bn. that was a former fighter pilot that had been disciplined by sending him to the LAH infantry(and he had some aerial victories)
They also did not have the overwhelming priority for new weapons that has become legend,losing out several times in 1944 to the Hermann Goering Panzer Div and the new Panzer Brigades of the Army so that even though the LAH was given the cherry assignment for the Ardennes Offensive,it was only at about 1/3 strength in tanks so the normal 8 companies were consolidated into 4 in a mixed Bn. under Poetchke. So even the premier guards unit of the armed forces was not up to snuff and even had tank drivers that had never driven a tank! Man! I just had a lot of coffee so it's a good thing I hate to type or I would yak on forever. Sorry!
J

Don't apologize JERRY !! I dig it !!

I did a little more work on this Tiger. I'm tryin to wire up th Radios !! I know for m some recent research that Wittmann's Command Tiger had th Mantlet M.G. pulled & replaced with a FuG 5 ... so one will go up there !! Don't worry pix are forth comin/ It just really doesn't look like much right now. A lot of Building/tearing down ... Thanx Verlinden ! But it's O.K. The shocks are kinda' in th wrong lacce & the seats are too far back. I went off of Verlinden's instructions & THEN check reference & saw My errors !!

Jerry - I forgot for a sec. That HJ was formed out of LASSH ! Then you jogged My Memory !!

I too Dig th German Army & th SS - but only from a Military War Machine aspect & Do not subscribe to Their Credo.

:java :java :drinks

O.K. ....

Here's proof that I'm workin on Wittmann's Last Ride .....

Wittmanns_Tiger_front_shot.JPG

Wittmann_Tiger_Drivers_compartment.JPG

Wittmanns_Tiger_closeup_of_Radios.JPG

I'm not finished with th wiring, I just have these turned down for now... Until I get th Transformers into place. There is one located behind th R.O.'s seat & Then I'll locate 2 more on th side wall beside & behind him. It'l be trimmed out with Headphones & all !!

- http://panzerfaust.ca/AFV%20interiors/germrads.html - Look at picture 6 !!

Wittmanns_Tiger_from_Rear.JPG

You can see th Transformer behind th Radio Operators seat. I had to Nick th Bulkhead out of th Academy Kit - Verlinden's was on such a thick slab of Resin that it broke when I was tryin' to free it ! Good thing this one fit !! I might make a template with this one & return this one to th Academy Tiger - In case you're wondering ... It's not glued in . Either is th Tranny/Radio section & the Driver's seat is Blu-Tacted down. Crooked ... I know :blush: !

So, That's how she sits for now ....

:drinks

Looking good, Erik! I always have mixed feelings about adding an interior because so much is hidden, but I'm interested in seeing what you do with it! (y)

MIKE & T ,

Thanx Guys. I'm just gettin My teeth into this. It's moving along I'll have some more done Today ( Thursday) & I'll post before I go to The Outer Banks N.C. for th week end ! Ah ! Much anticipated R-n-R !!

:drinks

SHAWN,

Thanx for th Kind Words !!

Everyone - I would like to add that SHAWN graceiously has sent Me a couple of Sets of Figures to use in this Diorama, I'll post some pix tomorrow , as I just got back in town from th Beach - Kill Devil Hills N.C. :v - It was Awesome ... 100 degree + Days - Soaking it up in th Sun & Plunging in to th Ocean to Cool Off !! Awesome Time !!

Shawn - I actually picked up th Wittmann Figure on E-Bay ... th Price was too good to resist. But All th Other Figures will be used & Included in this Dio !! It might end up totaling 14 figures ?

Thanx again SHAWN for your Generosity !! :drinks :drinks

I love the OBX. Nice place to relax man. Lucky you.
Have you thought about maybe including a fig of PanzerMeyer in your scene? Since Wittman was working in his sector it is a distinct possibility that the 2 did a little commiserating before the last action? Just a thought. Panzermeyer had a way of being everywhere at once in his Kubel or M/C so why not?
J

JERRY,

Panzer Meyer ..... & Max Wunsche. I could do a set up like this ......

battle_normandy218.jpeg

Here is Kurt "Panzer" Meyer , Max Wunsche, Fritz Witt & add Michael Wittamnn ???

Photobucket.jpeg

Here's a shot of Sepp Dietrich & Wittmann around Aug. 8th.

Photobucket-1.jpeg

Hey Guys,

Th Build rolls on. Here's a short Update. I've painted the Lower Hull . I've left the Tranny out of the Tiger so that I can get in there to do th detail painting. The Radio's are wired up, but not 100%. I'll do that when th Radio's go in for good. I' still have some weathering to do & add a few little X-tra bits, like th Ammo Boxes, Headphones & label the Headphone boxes Etc !!

R_O__side_Wittmann_Tiger.JPG

Here's a shot form th R.O.'s side. You can see the Power Transformers in place behind th R.O.'s seat. There is 1 for each Radio_Often the Crews were left up to their own devices as far as where & how to place the Transformers. You can see th Ammo Bags for the Bow M.G. hangin up as well as the "racks" for the Ammo Boxes. Thee will be an additional set of Ammo Bags hangin on th Front Glasis Interior plate as well !

R_O__closeup_Wittmann_Tiger.JPG

Th Racks were made from EverGreen Angle & Sheet Styrene.

Driver_s_side_Wittmann_Tiger_.JPG

In this shot you can see th Forward Ammo Bin & the GyroCompass

Front_view_minus_th_tranny_Wittmann_tiger_.JPG

Here's a Full Frontal Shot :woohoo: . From the Spring of '44 onward the Floors were left in Oxide Red, The Side Walls in Grey Green, & from the Sponsons upward - Elfinbein

Tranny_shot_Drivers_side_Wittmann_Tiger_.JPG

Here's th Tranny from the Driver's side with th Instrument Panel . A lil touch up may be inorder & some weathering !!

Tranny_Radios_Wittmann_Tiger.JPG

Here are there Radios !! There is the FuG2 on the Top Left, FuG5 on th Top Right, & the UKw.E.e. receiver on th Bottom. Because this is a Command Tiger there will be an additional FuG5 in th Turret.

R_O__side_with_Tranny_Wittmann_Tiger_.JPG

Here th Tranny is dryfitted & These are Tight Quarters !!

Driver_s_side_with_Tranny_Wittmann_Tiger_.JPG

Colors -
Red Oxide - Poly-S railroad colors Red Oxide
Grey Green - Tamiya RLM Grey ( XF-22)
Elfinbein - Tamiya Buff (XF-57) + Tamiya White(XF-2)

The ammo bags - Vallejo Canvas
The Seats - Vallejo Games Black & th Frame - Tamiya German Grey (XF-63)

Well ..... That's all for now. I'v got to weather th Lower Hull & add th Bulk Head & I'm moving onward & upward to th Turret next !!

Hey .. C'Mon let's hit th Pub !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BGRHwj6cE8

Good job on he interior so far dude. May I suggest using fine solder wire for your wiring? It is thinner and a lot easier to form. You will love it,I am sure. Tigermodels has a nice selection for sale. Trust me,it will save you a lot of headaches.
As for your discussion pics. The first pic you have the guys correctly ID'ed. The second pic from left to right,unidentified dude(not PM),Dietrick,Wittman,unidentified dude,probably Dietricks' adjutant,he also is the dude to the right in the last pic of dietrick and wittman. I believe Wittman got his u-boat leathers while his unit was in Italy with the LSSAH as he was in the 13th Company(Tigers) of the 1SS Pz Regt. This was before they were transferred to the newly formed Tiger Bn and the 13th Company was disbanded.
J

Hey Guys,

Th Build rolls on. Here's a short Update. I've painted the Lower Hull . I've left the Tranny out of the Tiger so that I can get in there to do th detail painting. The Radio's are wired up, but not 100%. I'll do that when th Radio's go in for good. I' still have some weathering to do & add a few little X-tra bits, like th Ammo Boxes, Headphones & label the Headphone boxes Etc !!

R_O__side_Wittmann_Tiger.JPG

Here's a shot form th R.O.'s side. You can see the Power Transformers in place behind th R.O.'s seat. There is 1 for each Radio_Often the Crews were left up to their own devices as far as where & how to place the Transformers. You can see th Ammo Bags for the Bow M.G. hangin up as well as the "racks" for the Ammo Boxes. Thee will be an additional set of Ammo Bags hangin on th Front Glasis Interior plate as well !

R_O__closeup_Wittmann_Tiger.JPG

Th Racks were made from EverGreen Angle & Sheet Styrene.

Driver_s_side_Wittmann_Tiger_.JPG

In this shot you can see th Forward Ammo Bin & the GyroCompass

Front_view_minus_th_tranny_Wittmann_tiger_.JPG

Here's a Full Frontal Shot :woohoo: . From the Spring of '44 onward the Floors were left in Oxide Red, The Side Walls in Grey Green, & from the Sponsons upward - Elfinbein

Tranny_shot_Drivers_side_Wittmann_Tiger_.JPG

Here's th Tranny from the Driver's side with th Instrument Panel . A lil touch up may be inorder & some weathering !!

Tranny_Radios_Wittmann_Tiger.JPG

Here are there Radios !! There is the FuG2 on the Top Left, FuG5 on th Top Right, & the UKw.E.e. receiver on th Bottom. Because this is a Command Tiger there will be an additional FuG5 in th Turret.

R_O__side_with_Tranny_Wittmann_Tiger_.JPG

Here th Tranny is dryfitted & These are Tight Quarters !!

Driver_s_side_with_Tranny_Wittmann_Tiger_.JPG

Colors -
Red Oxide - Poly-S railroad colors Red Oxide
Grey Green - Tamiya RLM Grey ( XF-22)
Elfinbein - Tamiya Buff (XF-57) + Tamiya White(XF-2)

The ammo bags - Vallejo Canvas
The Seats - Vallejo Games Black & th Frame - Tamiya German Grey (XF-63)

Well ..... That's all for now. I'v got to weather th Lower Hull & add th Bulk Head & I'm moving onward & upward to th Turret next !!

Hey .. C'Mon let's hit th Pub !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BGRHwj6cE8

Erik, I over looked this yesterday, really nice work you have going.

:popcorn

Hey T ,

Thanx for th kind words buddy .... . I'm really pushin' to make th M.P. deadline .... ? ? Arrrrrg ! The Seams abound in th Interiorof this Model !! Especially in th Turret section. The Main Gun is a P.I.A. :bang head & Knock-Out marks Galore !! I guess it's a good thing that I have some Gunze Mr.Dissolved Putty !!

Hey T ,

Thanx for th kind words buddy .... . I'm really pushin' to make th M.P. deadline .... ? ? Arrrrrg ! The Seams abound in th Interiorof this Model !! Especially in th Turret section. The Main Gun is a P.I.A. :bang head & Knock-Out marks Galore !! I guess it's a good thing that I have some Gunze Mr.Dissolved Putty !!

No worries you will make it. You're farther along than I am.

;)

Back