• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Trumpeter Ju 87A in 1/32 (Resuming the build)

Trumpeter Ju 87A in 1/32

Wow Paul, sounds like a small battle every step of the way! From the looks of things so far you have things wellin hand.
Glad you're feeling better. Can't wait to see the new and improved instrument panel. I'm sure it will be a work of art!

Greg

Trumpeter Ju 87A in 1/32

Discovered tonight that Eduard screwed up on the PE instrument panel for the Trumpeter Ju87A.

Withholding smart ass comment, you know like "NOOOO", or "What, Eduard screwed up?"...just not going to say it.

I bet the reviews on the set are just glowing as well. :evil:

Trumpeter Ju 87A in 1/32

Thanks Greg! Yes it has been, but that is because of the research I have accumulated. Have also done some research on the radios as well. Turns out they were used on the Me109s and that helps with just figuring out what is where. I am lucky (or cursed) with being able to pick out details on specific things from many different sources. In the end it "should" result in a more accurate build which is what I am striving for.

I have to admit that our own Chukw is the person that most inspired me to be able to tackle these kinds of builds. :notworthy :notworthy

Yeah Bob, I know your opinion of Eduard! :facepalm On the other hand they did have the correct radios for the plane which Trumpy completely FUBARed on. It is called research which the various companies are really dropping the ball on. From what I have seen, Trumpeter makes kits that at least fit together and have a lot of detail, BUT have a lot of incorrect details. Eduard does some awesome stuff but gets some of the details wrong in the rush to scoot stuff out quickly. The Eduard PE set is still an improvement, just messed up on the instrument panel. I am lucky in that I managed to find 2 different photos of the A type panel which gives a good amount of the detail to redo it correctly.

A photo I have of the B type panel helps out with a lot of the details (instruments) and how some things look though it is a bit different. The hard part now is figuring out what instruments are actually where, what Airscale decals match up and what instrument bezels match as well. Figured out a way to piece that together and get the parts useage planned and placed accordingly.

Still have a couple of things to do to the external when the internal is done but they shouldn't be too difficult. I also know the riveting on the external is incorrect, but am leaving it be. While I am a detail freak I am not really a rivet counter. (Plus many of the rivets don't show on the real plane with paint applied)

My guess is that most of the folks that have built this kit never bothered to look at any research and enjoyed it. I am looking forward to getting through with the cockpit slogg and moving on to the external. (almost there now) There are a couple of small things to fix and a couple of medium things and it should be on to paint.

Trumpeter Ju 87A in 1/32

OK folks it is photo time.

Really been in the cut-n-chop bit the last few weeks.
karate-chop.gif
Trumpeter does some interesting subjects and while the molding and fit of the parts is quite good they usually end up with a FAIL on research and detail.
duh.gif

Anyway there is a lot of new stuff here so enjoy!

Ju87A-045a.jpg

Ju87A-046a.jpg

Ju87A-047a.jpg

Ju87A-048a.jpg

Ju87A-049a.jpg

Ju87A-050a.jpg

Ju87A-051a.jpg

Ju87A-052a.jpg

Ju87A-053a.jpg

Ju87A-054.jpg

As always more photos in the next post.

Trumpeter Ju 87A in 1/32

Continued.

Ju87A-055.jpg

Ju87A-056.jpg

Ju87A-057.jpg

Ju87A-058.jpg

Ju87A-059.jpg

Ju87A-060.jpg

Ju87A-061.jpg

Ju87A-062.jpg

This kit is pushing me way out of my comfort zone. (or at least my easy zone) I do have a fairly easy and straightforward plan for the instrument panel. If the test placement of the PE works out and looks good the actual doing shouldn't be all that much worse than building the Eduard PE panels (though it should look many times better)
I will also have to redo the bomb window box but that won't be anything much. The rudder peddles actually will have to be mounted to the back of the instrument panel and I have a drawing that shows that detail fairly well.

Still lots to do inside and have found a number of things on the outside that are just wrong as well so stay tuned it's turning into a "throw the kit away and do another" build.
faint.gif

Trumpeter Ju 87A in 1/32 (more new photos)

Thanks for your kind comment Dave. Much appreciated! How are things going down in Capetown my friend? Have you gotten any much needed rain?

Impressive work!...excellent craftmanship, as always :good:

Luiz

Thanks for your kind comments Liuz and Bob. I should be working on the instrument panel this weekend and we will see just how well it is going to work.

I'm impressed, Paul- you're really whipping this kit into shape! I always enjoy the detective work of matching photos and other reference against the plastic. Your tools and the skills with which you employ them- I'm not worthy! :) You're building the best version of this kit yet- cheers! :drinks

Really impressive work. Not so keen on building mine anymore, but I'm loving watching this build.
James

I'm impressed, Paul- you're really whipping this kit into shape! I always enjoy the detective work of matching photos and other reference against the plastic. Your tools and the skills with which you employ them- I'm not worthy! :) You're building the best version of this kit yet- cheers! :drinks

Thanks for the kind comments Chuck! Watching and looking at some of your earlier builds are what showed me that I could do all these mods. If not for your inspiration, it would have been an out of the box "maybe" with PE.

Cheers my friend! :drinks

Really impressive work. Not so keen on building mine anymore, but I'm loving watching this build.
James

Sorry to hear the discouragement James. Yes, this kit has a ton of inaccuracies, but I am also showing what all will need doing. If I had caught the instrument panel bit "before" removing the detail on the Trumpy panel I wouldn't have to be doing the AirScale thing. I think you will like how I do the AirScale panel though, it shouldn't be too terribly difficult. As to the Pattern for the roll bar, I can send you a PDF file that you can print out for the patterns. Easy, peasy, as one of the other guys on here says.

I'm kind of looking at it as prep work for my A-10 build later on as well as the HPH kits (though they really shouldn't be this bad).

Again, thanks to everyone that is looking in, much appreciated.

Watching your work is jaw dropping, inspiring and overwhelming at the same time.

There's a particular talent in concentration as well as execution that you absolutely possess.

Just looking through the photos I can easily identify a few times where I would just have stuck it back in the box.

Watching your work is jaw dropping, inspiring and overwhelming at the same time.

There's a particular talent in concentration as well as execution that you absolutely possess.

Just looking through the photos I can easily identify a few times where I would just have stuck it back in the box.

Thanks for your kind comment Jeff!

I did put it up for quite a while. (A bit over a year) The roll bar had me rather stymied and while I kind of knew what it seemed to look like, it took a while to piece it together in my head. The one photo that shows the radio frame, the roll bar and the back of the pilot through the "jail bars" gave the clue to the solution. I kept thinking on it and looking around for info. There are still a handful of things on the external part of the plane that are way wrong but should be fairly simple to set right. The office is where the biggest errors are found.

Then there was studying the photos of the later model planes. Details, mountings, and components can change a lot, but usually the basic structure won't change unless there is a fatal flaw or something. (too many years working in engineering and design). A drawing from a Stuka handbook showing the frame and structure with wing spars told me a lot.

While the rivet patterns don't match the spar positions all that well, I am not going to mess with them. Probably only a handful of folks would actually be knowledgeable enough to give me grief over rivets anyway. Besides, outside of positions of things I really could not care less about rivets on this plane. In most cases they would not really be all that visible.

:mpup
Bob what are you testing? I know they are wild turkeys, but dogs chase squirrels don't they? :D

Sorry Paul, thought i deleted that. We were at the show and i was doing a quick lesson on how to attach an image file to a thread. Thought i put it somewhere else.

Thanks Piet!

Today I spent time getting the layout for the instrument panel finalized. Then I attached the decals for the base instruments and placed the cover on it. Had some slight problems with the CA letting go as I trimmed the edge at first but got it set finally. Tomorrow (or maybe in a few days at most) I will start placing the instrument bezels in place. It should end up quite interesting. Have been taking photos of the steps so once it gets to a point I will put them together for a new post.

Hang in there folks it will be coming soon.

Have just a quick update. Have the instrument panel partly done. Just have not been in much of a build mood the last week. Did a little bit tonight and placed 3 more instrument decals on the next level up. The next thing I need to do is to blacken the PE bezels before placing them on the panel. I have the Uschi blackening agent, but there are no real instructions or guidelines for how to use it. (yeah, I know dip them in the solution) The question comes to mind, for how long?! Or, what should I watch for when it turns color, and how to rinse them off? I have it figured for how to do what I want to do, just the other things.

Anyone out there with some suggestions on using the agent?

Anyway, here are a couple of quick pictures.

Ju87A-063.jpg

Ju87A-064.jpg

Ju87A-065.jpg

Yup, a QUICK update. Maybe this week I will get some more done.

Back