• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Takom Tiger 2 Repair Dio

Hi,

Quick update on progress of the Bussing nag.

lower half of chassis completed and moving onto the tyres and too my dismay all the tyres have cracks in them. :vmad :angry: :eek:hmy: :frantic

For AFV club to release an extremely highly detailed vehicle the tyres have let them down severely.
Every tyre has a line through them.Ie once fitted the tyre will split at the indent line. Have seen this once before when DML released the BRDM in the mid nineties. We get some fine hot days in Brisbane and the tyres simply split open.
Qi0xYVp.jpg

In the meantime other items can be addressed for the build till the def models resin tyres show up.
haZf7QW.jpg

c0wJOJt.jpg

v5tpYaX.jpg

Michael :good:

Thanks Guys,

It is an easy oversight.
I was like a kid in a candy store when I got this kit , could not get over the level of detail.
I noticed the tread on the tyres in the plastic bag thinking they have got good tread but did not open the packet to have a closer inspection.
Def models do an excellent replacement set of tyres. Have not used this brand before :hmmm :hmmm

Michael

I had the tires on a built up Tamiya LRDG truck split years after building it. No what I do is sand the wheel a bit and then sand the tire a bit so that the tire does not have to be forced over the wheel. That seems to have cure the tire splitting problem for me.

Cheers

Thanks Tankbuilder

The Tamiya LRDG chev is an excellent example of split tyres. :good:

One of my favourite kit's and an excellent model for it's age.
With a little work they still dress up to a decent model.

Because of the bad reports on the tyres the 2 Tamiya chev's built both ended up with replacement resin tyres.

About 17 years between the 2 of them 1997 to 2014 :v

Brisbane can get some really hot and humid days and with the combination splits the rubber off the rim sadly to say.

Michael

Hello again,

Back with the next update, head down doing the bussing nag. :frantic :facepalm :bang head :eek:hmy: :cheer:

Here are a few images of progress work.

I can see now why AFV Club chose to have the normal softer plastic than other manufacturers. The items on the sprue cage are extremely fragile and with having a softer plastic it makes them a little more flexible to remove from the sprue cage.
There are a couple of close up photo's below to show some extremely small D shackles which would scare any modeller away to take of the sprue cage.
As mentioned before the Bussing Nag is not a shake and bake kit and the best way to takle the painting and building side of it is to build in sub assemblies. It will make it way easier to paint and detail in this format.
QtVnIwh.jpg

fAzKiBg.jpg

Item 20 on sprue cage L is missing 1 side of a shackle. There are 4 sprues and this is a very very small manufacturing error.
All of the 4 L sprue cages have this inconsistency.
Ie: the bottom item in the image L20 is what they should look like.
QccVgGm.jpg

The resin tyres from Def Models are different to what has been displayed on the box art. The tyres look like the same style of resin the Verlinden Productions used. It is a lot more stronger resin but the box art does not give a proper identification of what's inside.
7trEABI.jpg

r5BHEAw.jpg

More to follow....

Michael

Hello again,

This truck is by far the hardest kit built for a long time, very similar to the Mirror models T969 wrecker but way harder with the jib boom.

The work is all around the crane area at the moment soaks up the time with the build. I have painted the interior of the crane as when the dust covers go on they may be some view to the internals of the crane housing. I'm not leaving no stone unturned.
Special attention is required for handling the boom rollers, intricate and easily to break.
c4HCaTx.jpg

CXlPS3C.jpg

GIcLTYv.jpg

Work is slow as the components are easy to break.

Michael

Wow Mike! Am really impressed with how this is all coming together! :notworthy

As to the rubber tire bit on kits, rubber tires are an automatic replacement item (unless it is a car kit) None of the tires in Trumpy kits are worth diddly as far as I am concerned and the better manufacturers should wake up and just start going the resin route as they are so much better in the long run!

Back