• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Takom Krupp Morser FInal KRUPPDATE!

Takom Krupp 21cm Morser UPDATE 1/23/17 More Parts!

Thanks guys! After spending most of a morning piddling with colors, I broke down and bought a set of paint from Ammo of Mig. I'm off Friday, hoping to get bench time. :salute

Takom Krupp Morser UPDATE 3/2/17

When we left our project, it looked more like a parts yard than a gun, but things have changed! It's funny how fast a project can take shape, making strides.

IMG_9038.JPG

This kit fits really well, although a couple of the parts are next on to impossible to remove from the sprue and clean without breaking. I had to make new parts from styrene rod for the shield supports and didn't even try to use kit parts D24. I made replacements for D24 from straight pins, grinding off the points to blunt them and bending the angle with pliers.

IMG_9039.JPG

Oops! That photo didn't catch the replacement parts clearly, but you can sort of make them out if you know what you're looking for. :laugh:

Base coat is Tamiya XF 73 over Nato Black as a primer.

IMG_9040.JPG

IMG_9041.JPG

Detail painting this monster is going to be fun!

IMG_9042.JPG

IMG_9043.JPG

Hey! Here's a good shot of the parts I made, the turned up point straight above the hand wheel is D24 and you can see the shield support as well.

IMG_9044.JPG

I think the pin worked better than the kit part!

Let the camo commence! Thanks for dropping by.

:drinks

Looking at these pics, I can really see why you're fretting the paint .

Just looking at the wheels alone , I see a challenge or two . :blink

I think this quote " Oops! That photo didn't catch the replacement parts clearly, but you can sort of make them out if you know what you're looking for. :laugh: " should be inserted in a lot of kit instructions. :pinch:

That would certainly clear up a lot of awkward moments :rotf

Looking good Mike (y) Cheers, Christian B)

Think distribution of weight. The wagon style wheel concentrates the weight in a small area, the pads spread it out so the gun doesn't sink in as badly. Had to be one noisy son of a gun, moving or firing. :gogo

That wheel design is nuts. Tracks, but not tracks.
It helped to slow the gun down when they fired it

I was thinking more like it kept it from sinking in soft soil . :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

That was my thought as well.
These guns spent literally weeks in one position firing on one stretch of land These guns would usualy be placed on an slight incline to the back Then when they fire they would roll back and then naturally roll back into firing position. For the gunners theyr biggest problem usualy did not amount to traveling with the gun but more to keep it on target for more than one shot and not have to drag it back into firing position after 5 shots.

Takom Krupp Morser UPDATE 3/6/17 Camo!

Many thanks, my friends! Let the camo begin! I had originally planned to do the black outlined camo scheme shown on the box art but kept going back to the whale shark spots and finally gave in. Here's the start...

IMG_9045.JPG

IMG_9046.JPG

IMG_9047.JPG

I'll be adding chips, pin washes and dirt in the very near future, so much more to come. :idonno

Thanks for coming by! :drinks

That certainly changed that otherwise dull paint job . Looking forward to the wash :good: Right now, it sort of makes me think of dot filter painting :)

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks, guys!

After looking at it for a bit this afternoon, I think I need to add some more dots. Here's the scheme I'm using.

IMG~3.jpg

If I only had a better developed art gene...

B)

Back