• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

STUG 3 G EARLY (REMIX) ON A FLATCAR

shawngehling wrote:
Ian,
Looks great... I really love the mix of German and Soviet armor
on the rail cars... Do we know who was loading them up?
Were they being sent off for scrap or where they being sent to
be repaired?
There are a million questions I would have for this.
I think the dio idea is super and I will be following it too.
Shawn
B) :) Thanks Shawn, I only know what is inthe caption and it doesn't say, however , under uncle albert the Germans were known for their very good recycling of damaged material so I am going with repair and re-use. ;)

Ian.

:laugh: Back with more Plastic Nymphamania :evil:

Next up we have the Body of the tank plus all the added stuff. I really had some fun with this part ..........
workbenchshot.jpg

Notice in the above shots the small stuff like the Scalehardware nuts in the rear plate edges.Remember I am modelling it as though the engine has been removed and the rear plate has been hastily put back into place (without all of the securing bolts). I also left a hinge off to simulate a broken back deck hatch (this also serves to allow better veiwing of the engine bay.Some are simulating the bracket mounts for the side skirts

I added my own welds on the front edges. The Dragon ones were nice but looking through Actung panzer I felt that these were not rough enough, so I added some chunkiness :)with my own.

BOLTS AND SIDE SKIRTS

Next are the bolts that i used to sure the side skirt brackets and rails. I also did some soldering at this point as well. :)
rearsidefenderLR.jpg

I used the Scale hardware 0.5 mm threaded bolts and nuts - can't recomend them enough.

I put together a few pictures of me using the Scale hardware stuff mainly just for people who hadn't seen it used before.
doinup3.jpg
doinup4.jpg

spannerworking.jpg

Some more shots and some overall pics.

The other great quality of soldering and securing with the bolts is that you can bend and warp like the real thing. :evil:

fenderbolt4.jpg

IMG_9228.jpg

fenderbolt2.jpg

Top plate had all the nuts drilled out as did the joining interior surface. I also added some wingnuts from modelkasten but also used the nice ones that come in the kit (see pic) I have modelled the top plate so that I can have it off or just sitting placed on the top - gives me a nice choice.

REARDECK.jpg
ROOFPLATE.jpg

INTERIOR
Not finished yet but on it's way. I have to use my VP kit butI don't have instructions.

SO AT THIS POINT IT LOOKS LIKE THIS...OR SOMETHING SIMILAR AS SETUP FOR THE FLAT CAR. i AM THINKING OF THROWING THE TRIMMED DOWN TORSION BARS IN THE BACK FOR EFFECT.
I AM USING ANVIL MINITURES T-34 TRACKS
IMG_9356.jpg

IMG_9359.jpg
IMG_9360.jpg

Great Googlie Mooglie :woohoo:

That is one fantastic looking StuG. Just fantastic.

Are you going to go this crazy on the flat car also?

Gary B)

Hi Ian,

:blink heh its not funny confuse minimally 1/16(with photoshop modification) and 1/35 :huh:

No its joke, man you are crazy. :laugh: I like this.

Cheers.
Pavel

WOW!!

amazing build you have there, I will follow this thread closely

Cheers, Alvin

G Cooper wrote:
Great Googlie Mooglie :woohoo:

That is one fantastic looking StuG. Just fantastic.

Are you going to go this crazy on the flat car also?

Gary B)

:) :laugh: thanks Gary. The flat car will get some chains and tape on the coupling links but that is about all they need I think.

Pavel, Shawn, Matt, Dario and Alvin - thaks for the great feedback and taking the time to post. Glad you guys are finding it interesting.

Ian.

Ian, it's hard to say anything that isn't redundant at this point, so I'll just sit here with my mouth hanging open and say "WOW!" :notworthy :notworthy :ro:

Iron Mike wrote:
Ian, it's hard to say anything that isn't redundant at this point, so I'll just sit here with my mouth hanging open and say "WOW!" :notworthy :notworthy :ro:

I will sit in the same way near to Mike :woohoo:
Words are not present, work simply magnificent :)

Very very cool. I cant even imagine the patience you must have to put all those small nuts and bolts together, but it does look exceptional.
James

Ian,

Really great work! I'm particularly looking forward to you fitting the interior; for my own selfish reasons, I'm keen to see how the scratchbuilt interior of my Ausf B compares to the resin kit (and if there's anything I missed). :)

Great to meet you on Sunday. I do apologise for not chatting more; I'd been up since 04.30 watching soccer after a late night of, you guessed it, watching soccer. Hopefully we'll have an opportunity to catch up again in the not too distant future :)

Rudi

Back